The New FAKE Epi thread

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Paruwi, Jan 20, 2015.

1. TimTheViking

TimTheViking New Member

I ran across an FT-165? at a pawn shop. I really know nothing about them and the label has been altered. I could not read what has been crossed out. I'm going to try to get some more pics but at the time I just wanted to get the label and S/N. Thoughts?

EPI-FT165.jpg

2. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker Staff Member

@TimTheViking

here is a quote from the Epi-Wiki

Brown Label

The Aria Epiphone Japan models that were made by Matsumoku from the early 1970s and ending before 1987 do not have a reliable serial numbering system but can be approximately dated using their Epiphone label colours.

• 1971-1975 - Blue label - Early models say "Union Made"
    • 1976-1979 - Tan or white "Lincolnwood" label with Norlin logo
    • 1980-1987 - Brown Label with splotched pattern

Blue Labels:

The early Japanese blue labels were left over from production at the Kalamazoo factory and were used on Japanese-made instruments until supplies ran out (approximately 1970-1971). These labels say "Union Made" in the lower left corner and are sometimes hand-stamped with "Made in Japan" at the bottom. Some of the interim blue lables had neither the "Union Made" nor "Made in Japan" markings on them. When supplies ran out, these labels were replaced with a new batch that were printed "Made in Japan" in the lower right corner. Pre-1970 "Union Made" labels are distinguishable from labels used on Japanese intruments by the printed model name of the intrument only.

Lincolnwood Labels:

The Lincolnwood label was also used for the Tawainese "Epi" series acoustic guitars from 1979-1980. These labels say "Made in Tawain" in the bottom right corner.

3. TimTheViking

TimTheViking New Member

Hey thanks. With the label altered, is it possible it's not an FT-165? If so, what might it be? I guess this kind of gets into what I might offer for it. If I make an offer that is...

4. Paruwi

Nobody can tell you from the one pic what it really is....

5. TimTheViking

TimTheViking New Member

I guess what I'm asking is what other Epiphone 12 string acoustics were around 1976-1979. But I certainly understand that a picture of the label is no help at all. Cheers.

6. Paruwi

7. Dk89

Dk89 New Member

8. Paruwi

can we have picsa ?