Tonewood ಠಿ_ಠ

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Raiyn, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

One of our very own has made a beautiful guitar out of popsicle sticks. Folks on other forums like to justify the excessive price tags of their flagship axes by mentioning the "premium tonewood".

Submitted for your consideration.

Stuart, John, Davis Sharp and 2 others like this.
  2. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer Well-Known Member

As long as it has structural integrity, anything goes! There are people who make hollow guitars from metal alloys, carbon fiber etc.. There is even a guy who made them out of clay..

Companies have "partially" created a mythological cannon, for the worshippers to believe and gracefully spare their money...

On the other hand, good stuff can be expensive indeed, I understand someone who likes his guitar to be made from a nice piece of timber, regardless of how it sounds
    I'm one of those guys, and I have payed out the ass for the privilege...

Then there is the tradition part, that's why they are made out of wood in the first place.

All in all, dunno mate, most companies go for maximum profit, regardless of how "premium" the wood is considered.

Imagine if fender for example passed a body like that in production and paint it red, one day someone decides that he doesn't like the red body, and strips it...the reaction to such finding would be hilarious...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Paruwi, Lancpudn and Raiyn like this.
  3. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

The expression is "paid out the ass". What you're talking about is something entirely different.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Paying out the ass

You pretty much got what I was saying though. Also, those carbon fiber grandpa's acoustic guitars are pretty sweet!

4. Shadow Explorer

I stand corrected!:cheers:
    Also tone clay:

I believe everything is fine as long as you know what you get for the money.
    That's the key for me.

Most companies aim at people with more money than sense... And it works.
    Yet the same companies can happily lie to you.
    Gibson bumblebees?
    That stripped Epi custon I mentioned several times...
    The guy sold it to my friend because he stripped the neck and it was maple instead of mahogany! Not even mentioning the top, I don't think he knew..
    Was that his fault? He got a guitar based on certain expectations, that the industry itself planted in his head...

Raiyn likes this.
  5. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

Pretty cool, but I'd rather have the Tele @John made out of popsicle sticks.

6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

:rofl:Don't get me started! My stance on "Magic Tone Beans" is well documented. Gibby bees are just the most blatant example of the fraud.

That said, I like the Mallory 150's because they're readily available in the values and tolerances I find useful and the axial leads are easier for me to work with. I could use Electrocube, or any other similar cap, but it's just what I'm comfortable with and they've been of consistently good quality.

Agreed. We could cite numerous examples.

If I was concerned about species of wood what my axes were made of, I wouldn't own a butcher block Strat, or a veneered Epi SG.

Heck, I probably wouldn't have even gotten into the hobby in the first place much less modding as the buy in would be more than SWMBO would let me b.s. my way into.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  7. masterbiltfan

masterbiltfan Member

For electrics, I feel like people use the term `tone wood` as a catch all phrase to describe the difference in sound between two guitars that should sound the same, but don't for whatever reason. For example, Anderton's put out a video a few months back where they have two MIM lake placid blue Fender Strats that are exactly the same in every way, even just a few numbers apart on the serial, except the fretboard material: pau ferro over rosewood. There definitely was a difference between the two guitars in sound, but was it because of the fingerboard material? Maybe one fingerboard is harder material than the other and causes it to vibrate more, therefore creating a different tone than the other?.

The timbre of a piano
    [guitar applies here also], its distinctive sound, is a sum of many harmonics of a sine wave, as well as some effects due to the physics of the piano's strings and its geometry (https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-does-the-same-frequency-sounds-differ.674075/)

Based on that definition, slight variations on how you strummed that chord or picked that note could change the tone. Even a simple difference in the setup could cause the overall tones to be different. In other words, there are too many variables to pin point exactly the difference between two instruments most of the time, so most people chalk it up to "tone wood".

One of the reasons why I personally love this hobby is because it's completely merit based. Someone with a less expensive setup, but decades of experience, will usually sound better than the guy who has tons of money but is just trying to buy his way into tone, and has not actually practiced enough or put in the effort. While money of course gets you access to better materials, it still depends on how much time and effort you've put into your setup, experimented, and gathered all those variables into the sum of what ends up being your tone.

IGRocker, Shadow Explorer and Raiyn like this.
  8. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I can roll with this.

I don't want to sprain my arm patting myself on the back, but I'm rather proud of the work I've put into modding my axes and the results derived from those efforts. I've had them played and complimented by players much more skilled than myself who have access to more expensive options.

I admit that I can't work a 3K Gibby into our budget, but with the spark of inspiration and a small amount of skill I can take a used Epi, or a Partscaster and build myself a little treasure.

9. Supersonic

The only times 'tone woods' matter to me are for acoustics. It does make a huge difference there.

10. Shadow Explorer

I'm thinking about Emersons bees, they look cool, not sure how legit thy are... or how usefull with EMGs

I do care, but mostly about looks and natural strength\durability.
    I do believe they contribute to the overal sound, but i find it to be more wood piece specific, rather than species specific.

Name value is irrelevant, most instruments can play well with some "love".... You do well!
    Scarlet will end up costing me more than 1500€ (closer to 2k) just for raw materials and parts.
    A pretty big amount is taxes,customs and shipping... So far there is not a single thing we sourced locally. We could adjust to what is available locally (b grade ebony, korina etc) and but it's once in a lifetime affair...

That's right.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    masterbiltfan likes this.
  11. Supersonic

Creamtone sell the real bumble bee ones, they have 'drifted' ones from 57-59 and real '59' ones in their harnesses. I'm not gonna get into a 'magic tone bean' thing but it would be cool for someone restoring or building an LP. :yesway:

I don't know if it would matter much with the EMGs though.

Shadow Explorer likes this.
  12. Shadow Explorer

I Will have to use 250k cts long shafts, thick top & EMGs, we can order Emerson caps through thomann.
    If it do it, it's just for the fun of it...
    We can get perfectly fine orange drops pretty cheap.
    I will post on the appropriate thread regarding those.

13. elephantrider

elephantrider Well-Known Member

i thought the tonez came from the headstock angle.

Shadow Explorer and Davis Sharp like this.
  14. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

What color is that guitar?

All colors.

15. Cozmik Cowboy

Cozmik Cowboy Active Member

This.

On an acoustic, tonewood is key; on a solidbody, the sound is about 15% pickup/s & 83% amp (overlooking, of course, the overwhelming contribution of fingers to the equation)

But still, people will engage in the eternal Fender debate: Ash? Alder? Crayola?

masterbiltfan and Supersonic like this.
  16. DaveInSoCal

DaveInSoCal Well-Known Member

One of my main gigging guitars is a Fender Squire (heavily modded of course) it has great tone and I'm pretty sure it's a pieced together Alder body.
    My Frankenstein Flying V is also a great sounding guitar, I have no idea what it's made of, I painted it with some cheap spray paint and it's a beast.

17. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I won't comment on legitimacy, but I doubt they'd make any real contribution. You don't hear what goes through the cap.
    If it were me, and I cared about bragging rights for my capacitors, considering the EMG's I'd stick with the Orange Drops. Sprague / Vishay are the exact same thing.

I'd originally planned on using some NOS Mullard Tropical Fish in The Lady, (merely for something different) but one became damaged and I ended up using some Radio Shack "Chiclets" (they looked like the gum). When I revised the wiring again later I started using the Mallory caps and haven't looked back because, for whatever reason, they were much easier to work with.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  18. Shadow Explorer

I'm digging the looks more than anything else, don't care much about input output as long as it's a quality part and the price is relevant (not like gibson bees for example) ,but I read they are not exactly what I need in there, then again I have no clue when it comes to electronics.

Raiyn likes this.
  19. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

The stated value and the tolerance percentage of that value are the important things to know.

20. John

John Well-Known Member

Thank you Ss, that really means a lot.

Shadow Explorer and Supersonic like this.