Truss rod channel depth and location LP Standard

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Blackfire74, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Blackfire74

Blackfire74 New Member

Hello, I'm about to shave the neck of my 2009 LP Standard ebony. It has '59 Gibson style thick one. Of course by luthier. He prefer to change profile from thick U to soft V, just shave off the shoulders but I like it to be thinner about 2mm.
    If anyone know how deep from fretboard is bottom of truss rod channel, I will appreciate any info. Maybe someone has its fretboard off the neck and saw it.
    I suppose my model has bi-flex truss rod and it has flat channel just under the fretboard, what makes about 1cm distance from bottom of the channel to back of the neck, all along the neck, not like old style bowed truss rods. I guess if there is no skunk stripe under a poly finish there should be a bi-flex truss rod.
    On the other side, Epiphone probably didn't change neck wood but they did change neck profile recently to very slim taper D, so I guess it won't hurt my neck either to be just 2mm thinner, but still a lot thicker than modern necks.

2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

:wow:

Not something I'd even contemplate doing.

Shadow Explorer likes this.
  3. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer Well-Known Member

On every Epi I owned, it was directly under the board... (we did the same on the handmade one)
    If you have an option to not do it, then don't.... You can probably find a used one if you look around...

4. John

John Well-Known Member

I personally wouldn't if it was mine.

5. Walker

Walker Active Member

Have heard horror stories of this. Luthier going through to TR cavity. I wouldn't.

6. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member