Try em out, pass em on

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by DPaulCustom, May 16, 2018.

1. DPaulCustom

DPaulCustom Well-Known Member

While I believe the bridge pup would do well, the neck pup might be a bit bright, but you could always dial that back with the amp, the tone knob, & adjustments.
    If you're interested in trying them, PM me your address, & I'll see about getting them out to you.

2. Walker

Walker Member

PM sent.

DPaulCustom likes this.
  3. DPaulCustom

4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Sometimes ya gotta give 'em a pushstart.

DPaulCustom likes this.
  5. IGRocker

IGRocker Well-Known Member

Hey Walker, I’ll get those shipped out Saturday morning and post the tracking number for you!

6. Walker

Walker Member

Thanks.

7. IGRocker

Says it should be delivered Tuesday, tracking number is USPS ..................

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2018
    DPaulCustom likes this.
  8. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

DUDE! Do that in private!

9. DPaulCustom

Thanks @IGRocker

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2018
    IGRocker likes this.
  10. IGRocker

Lapse of judgement, I needed some sleep :rofl:

DPaulCustom likes this.
  11. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Just trying to look out for my neighbor in this trailer park. :cheers:
    It was out in the wild for hours before @Paruwi got the report.

IGRocker likes this.
  12. DPaulCustom

I'll accept responsibility for the mess, I asked you to post it up here so @Walker would be able to track it.
    Total brain fart, my bad!!

13. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Next time a three party conversation would do the trick. ;)

14. Walker

Walker Member

Got them today. Should get them in tomorrow.

DPaulCustom, Raiyn and IGRocker like this.
  15. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

We look forward to your impressions.

IGRocker likes this.
  16. Walker

Walker Member

I tell you what, These sound really good in an ash Tele. The neck pickup is very round, smooth and crisp the middle is just beautiful sounding. The bridge pickup is bright ,but not ice picky. roll the tone back and it is good. They are pretty balanced to each other. So much so that the pickups needed to be at the same height in the body. Not the usual neck pickup being even with trim ring. I was playing mostly clean blues and a funky guitar boogie, because, I have a cord problem. I have one good cord and I can't use my Bad Monkey ( I did but it cut out on me, They sounded good with the Monkey also).They make a great blues set. Probably not what you were shooting for, but they do blues really well. If I figure out the recording thing I'll do some clips for you. By the way, Shielded cable doesn't work well in a crowded Tele control route. Had to isolate the cable from the switch, Shorted out the switch when I put the control plate on. Thanks for letting me try them. I try to record in the nxt couple days and ship them to the next person who wants to try them. Who's next?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018 at 11:41 AM
    IGRocker, DPaulCustom and Raiyn like this.
  17. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I'd imagine a bit of heat shrink or electrical tape sorted you right out then. :cheers:

18. Walker

Walker Member

I just stuck a piece of paper in there since this is temporary. I have two volumes , one tone and a 3way switch in that control cavity. VERY crowded! The picture I posted was when I had stacked pots in it. Knobs didn't fit right so I went V/V/T instead.

DPaulCustom likes this.
  19. DPaulCustom

That's really good news, I was fearing that the neck pup would be overly bright in an ash guitar.
    What height did you end up at? I recently acquired a 2 hum pickguard for my partscaster (not sure what the wood is but it is solid wood), & have been meaning to try the set in that guitar.
    As for what I was shooting for, I just wanted a neck pup that wasn't muddy/mushy in an all mahogany guitar (my '10 faded lp is all hog). The bridge was a trick, trying to match the output of the #5. I ended up REALLY overwound with 42awg, kinda pushing the limits of what the bobbin would hold, & ended up at 10k on the resistance, which is up there for 42awg.
    Since you like the #5, I have to give props to @IGRocker, I haven't had a lot of experience with the A3, but his Wizz neck pickup was an A3. I had settled for a rough cast A5 magnet, & was pretty happy with that, though the bass was a bit strong. He suggested trying an A3 magnet, & that was the sweet spot.
    Thanks for taking the time to try the set, I really appreciate your input, & am glad, & relieved that the set did well in the ash Tele. I'm gonna load them in the strat, & see about making a short vid, with some hacky blues. I look forward to any clips you want to post up.
    It would be nice to hear them played by someone more skilled than myself.

What kind of recording gear did you end up buying?
    I picked up a cheap $30 Behringer UM2, & it did the trick getting some simple samples out.
    I used my sony camcorder (which actually shocked me how well it did) to make a few vids on the tube.

Thanks again @Walker

DD

Raiyn and IGRocker like this.
  20. Walker

Walker Member

I bought the Focusrite Scarlett Solo Studio. It includes Ableton Live Lite and Pro Tools First software (downloads), an interface, a microphone. headphones and the cables. $199 at Guitar Center. It's complicated to operate, but, every time I use it, it gets easier. Youtube helps. Been watching videos. As far as magnets goes, I've learned that I like a3 neck pickups and a4 or a2 bridge pickups. Don't care much for a5 in anything, with the exception of the a5s in my ES339 P90 Pro. P90s I usually like to use a3/a5 and a4 or a2/a5 combos.

DPaulCustom and IGRocker like this.