tuner for guitar..clip vs pedal

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by saipan, Nov 4, 2018.

1. saipan

saipan Member

whats better? is one more accurate? i have a clip and it was cheaper for sure. was looking at a tc 3 .

2. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

That would definitely depend on the brand and model.

I have 2 Snark headstock tuners and they're very good. I guess if you're playing live, a pedal tuner could be easier, especially if you were using other pedals too.

I don't think it's so much of a question as 'which is better', it's more like 'which is better for your needs'.

John likes this.
  3. saipan

saipan Member

right now i have a deltalab clip on, i dont play live

4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I've got a Korg PitchCrow clip tuner, and a Korg PitchBlack Advance (PBAD) pedal tuner. The PitchCrow lives in the case with my G400 and the PBAD lives on my pedalboard. I'll take the PBAD to class particularly if I'm bringing Killer Frost due to the Nitro on the headstock, but if I'm in a rush and I grab The Lady it's one less thing.

For intonation purposes, the clip will get you really close to what the strobe setting on the pedal can do, but I prefer the pedal.

5. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

I have a Donner pedal tuner and several clip-ons of various brands. They're all fine.

Pedal pros: use it as a kill switch when you want to change guitars noiselessly
    Pedal cons: permanently on your board, more expensive, won't work on acoustics

Clip-on pros: small, light, cheap, portable
    Clip-on cons: easy to lose; you have to change the battery - frequently if there's not auto-shutoff; may damage the finish if left on for a long time; it looks odd.

6. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Davis's cons list on the clip-on outweighted the pros for me. So I use a pedal.

I'll add that for intonation, a good pedal will do wonders compared to a clip-on, or am I biaised ?

7. Blakk

Blakk Active Member

Definitely pedal.

8. DaveInSoCal

DaveInSoCal Well-Known Member

I had a clip-on but I lost it. For around the house I just use a little Korg I keep on top of my amp.
    I have a Polytune on my board I use live and at band practice, that one I couldn't be without, I can use it at any moment I'm not physically playing, even in the middle of a song!

9. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I'll concede that pedals are typically more expensive (depending on your Shop-Fu skills), but if you can plug it in (ie: acoustic with a piezo) and you use Velcro (I use that 3M Extreme stuff where it's plastic on both sides) it's not "permanently" attached.

The pedal is definitely more of a PITA to carry around as opposed to a clip that lives in the case. ...

10. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Permanently in the sense that it's not grab-and-go, requiring some effort to remove it from the board (unless you take the board with you).