U.S. PAT 2892371 - Oh Yeah!

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by DHart, Oct 6, 2019.

1. DHart

DHart Member

U.S. PAT 2892371 is bringing me great joy today. :D Trying to contain my excitement over it, but probably not doing a very good job of that. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

I recently bought this lightly used ES-Les Paul with the intention of upgrading all the electronics and both pickups, to give me a glorious Gretsch-like tone. Having another ES-Les Paul with PAF-style humbuckers, I wanted this one to have different pickups with greater tonal detail, more articulate overtones, and more sparkly bright sound.

The first wiring harness I made for it and installed was with 540k Volume pots and No-Load tone pots. It did sound good, but missed the mark for my goal.

So, out came the harness. I replaced the volume pots with 800k pots and reinstalled the harness. Closer now, but still, no cigar.

So... taking the gloves off this time - out came the harness again. I installed 1.05M volume pots and 1M tone pots (tones made into No-Load pots) on the harness and reinstalled it once again (3 times now :eek: - and starting to get pretty good at installing harnesses in semi-hollow guitars!). My persistence paid off...

FINALLY, yesterday I completed the third install and found the tones I was wanting from these pickups! It has been a lot of work getting to this point - I should have started with the 1M pots in the first place and saved myself so much work. Now I know better.

BUT... I'm there now and could not be more pleased to finally have this guitar sounding the way I wanted it to sound. Clear, detailed, articulate tones and a bright sparkle that even a Tele-lover (as I AM) would appreciate.

The guitar is light-weight (6.6 lbs), well-balanced, and plays wonderfully.

U.S. PAT 2892371 I LOVE your voice! (AND, your looks.)

[​IMG]

This guitar is easily my favorite Les Paul of all time, and I've had some really nice ones.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    LSAR, littlebadboy, Imerkat and 3 others like this.
  2. DHart

DHart Member

HS Filter'tron pickups measure 4k for the neck and 4.7k for the bridge. (Low output for clean, detailed, articulate tone and sparkly highs.)

Electronics are CTS 1.08M neck volume pot, CTS 1.06M bridge volume pot, CTS 1M No-Load tone pots, each with a .015uF Russian Military K40Y PIO cap. Switchcraft selector switch and output jack complete the upgrades to USA electronics.

Middle position (both pickups on) with neck volume pot at "9" and bridge volume pot at "10" gives remarkably delightful full-range and sparkly bright tones. Mission accomplished, to my taste. :)

3. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Now you just need a Bigsby to complete the Gretschification. :)

4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Well....some arrow knobs too probably.

Davis Sharp likes this.
  5. DHart

DHart Member

No, no, no.... no Bigsby on my ES Les Pauls! Clutters up the top too much. (I have a 16" Gretsch for that ride!). :cool:

I tried to like a 14" Gretsch which had a Bigsby on it and I was very happy to return it - the top was way too cluttered with controls and hardware for my liking. With a 13.25" ES-Les Paul, it would be even worse than the 14" Gretsch.

Davis Sharp likes this.
  6. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

If Epiphone only made E knobs.

7. DHart

DHart Member

"E" knobs... that would be a hoot. Not for me, though.

8. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Way too much branding for my liking, and that's saying something.

DHart likes this.