What are these?

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Walker, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Walker

Walker Active Member

Just bought a Cort Panther for a project. Sometime is the past, maybe the '80s or 90s, Someone stuck these pickups in it. The humbuckers have three magnets in them and they both are wound to about 6.5k. The single coil I believe is original and has two magnets mounted on their sides. Weard stuff! Any Ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  2. Walker

Walker Active Member

I did repair the cob job splices on the pickup wires.

3. LSAR

LSAR Active Member

The baseplate pattern is the same as a Matsumoku pickup (MMK's found in a number of brands) but the lack of markings and the difference in material would indicate that's not what they are. Maybe another Japanese brand? I think some Dimarzio's and overseas copies of have had baseplates like that as well. What does the front look like?

4. Walker

Walker Active Member

12 hex screws. Black bobbins, no covers. Don't seem to be potted. Never saw a humbucker with three magnets before. The guitar is Korean from mid to late 80's, But they aren't original to the guitar.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  5. LSAR

LSAR Active Member

I'd say it's a potentially Japanese DiMarzio knockoff then or maybe even Korean. I don't know if we can really narrow it down further than that unless there's markings somewhere.

That humbucker only has one magnet though - the center slab is the magnet and the two pieces on the outside are just spacers, or at least should be. I don't know much about single coils but just checked a couple of Squier ones that are only a few years old and they look the same in that there's two magnets, one either side of the poles.