Whats better Epi custom pro or the Standard plustop pro

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by kustombob, Jan 11, 2019.

1. kustombob

kustombob New Member

Anyone played these. They both have the burst bucker pup's. Been wanting a Guitar for mainly southern rock. I have many Jacksons and Chavels but always love the Les paul sound for southern rock. Thanks for any help

2. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker Staff Member

They are not very different,
    the Custom just has more 'bling'

kustombob and Supersonic like this.
  3. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

There isn't really THAT much difference besides aesthetics. The Custom PRO has gold hardware and more binding and split diamond inlay headstock. As you mentioned, the pickups are the same. It seems the Custom PRO has a GraphTech nut now instead of plastic and has a phase push/pull knob in addition to the coil splitting that both guitars have. The Customs in stock at Sweetwater still have dark rosewood fingerboards while most all the PTPs have the new lighter colored Pau Ferro boards, which may or may not affect your decision.

Paruwi and kustombob like this.
  4. kustombob

kustombob New Member

Thanks guys. I like the darker neck.Graphtech nut seems a great option. their only $75 more. Was going to get one of the cheaper Gibsons but they do not seem to be worth twice the price. The custom pro Black LP looks killer. I be using Sweetwater since I live in IN and like their service.

Supersonic likes this.
  5. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker Staff Member

:thumb:

:thumb::thumb:

6. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Good choice, bling away !

7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Or you could pay ≈ $16 for one and install it yourself.....

Then again more switching options isn't a bad thing either, even if I don't find phase switching all that useful.

8. RegularJim

RegularJim Active Member

I have one of each. To me the Custom feels and sounds a little better than the PTP. However, there are a greater number of color choices on the PTP, if that's important to you.

Good luck!

kustombob likes this.
  9. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Member

I have a 2016 Custom PRO and other than being the typical heavy Les Paul, it's excellent...no complaints at all.

Oh, and the pups are ProBuckers, not Burstbuckers. There's a difference. The Bursts are a little higher quality and come with a lot of the Gibsons.

I haven't owned or played the PTP, but don't hesitate for a minute to get the Custom PRO. I got mine on sale a couple years ago for $499. Even though the price has increased a little, it's still well worth it. You won't be disappointed.

http://www.epiphonetalk.com/threads/show-your-epiphones.6/page-38#post-44039

kustombob likes this.
  10. IGRocker

IGRocker Well-Known Member

The two guitars have basically the same construction, however the Custom Pro has more bling to it. I went with a Custom Pro back in 2012 and still love it.
    Just a correction, they have Epiphone Probuckers, not Gibson Burstbuckers. They are still great pickups and lots of people praise them, but they aren’t Gibson pickups. They work fantastic for classic rock and blues.

11. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Pickups and everything else can be swapped out as desired. The "feel" of the guitar can't.

JeffMcLeod likes this.
  12. elephantrider

elephantrider Well-Known Member

my vote is the custom pro :thumb:

JeffMcLeod likes this.
  13. kustombob

kustombob New Member

Thanks guys. I am still debating on the Epi custom pro which would be about $700 with a case. Or i found a Gibson Tribute 2019 gold top for just over a $1000. Plus it comes with a case. MAN WHAT TO DO.

14. dearlpitts

dearlpitts Member

Love the tuxedo look

15. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

You'll get more guitar for the buck with the Epi. Plus if you want to change something the corksniffers will leave you the ****** alone.

elephantrider likes this.
  16. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer Well-Known Member

Can you try the gibby or any of the Epis ?? If I had to choose blindly, I would go for the Gibby to be honest. (based on raw materials). If I could play them, I would get the one I liked the most.

IGRocker likes this.
  17. IGRocker

Those Gibby’s are a good bang for the buck too. Better wood and electronics, and a nitro finish if you prefer that over poly. That said, you really need to get two of them and compare them side to side. The Gibby can be a dud and the Epi stellar, or vice-versa. On that same note, neck profiles vary wildly and that affects your playability.

Shadow Explorer likes this.
  18. IGRocker

I’ve never known a Gibby guy to lose his crap from changing electronics, except on original vintage models. If that were the case, all of the historic owners would flame every post with refinishes and pickup swaps.

Supersonic and elephantrider like this.
  19. elephantrider

elephantrider Well-Known Member

20. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer Well-Known Member

I certainly wouldn't mind having a burst turned into a 7string with EMGs...

With that being said, it's a shame to modify some vintage stuff.
    On the other forum, someone turned an one and only example of 3 a pup custom (50s) with flame top, to a burst copy.

IGRocker likes this.