Whats the best way to remove push/pull knobs without breaking them?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Bobbydazzler, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Bobbydazzler

Bobbydazzler Active Member

Hi guys,
    Got a new epi lp today with three push/pull coil tapping speed knobs but would like to put bell caps on them but have read about people breaking them when trying to change them.
    What is the best way to get them off without doing any damage?

texred likes this.
  2. Jeffytune

Jeffytune Active Member

Pay to have a professional do it for you.

3. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

Use a shoe string and wrap around the bottom part and lift ever so carefully.

;>)/

4. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker Staff Member

How to remove and tighten split shaft guitar knobs
    The purpose of this document is to show you how to remove split shaft guitar knobs without damage to the guitar finish or hurting your fingers. Removing your guitar knobs can sometime be very easy. While other times extremely hard to do. I like to cut a piece of an old t-shirt since it soft and won't damage the guitars finish and is easy to find.

First you will need to cut a piece of an old t-shirt. Cut a piece about 4" x 8". When you’re done fold the piece in half length wise. Slide the folded edge of the t-shirt carefully under the knob. Pull the two loose ends around the knob and start choking the knob with the t-shirt. Next start carefully pulling straight up on the t-shirt and the knob should simply pull off without any damage to you or your guitar.

Here some pictures of the process.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/how-to-remove-and-tighten-split-shaft-guitar-knobs/

5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

StewMac has got a couple of tools, the cheap(er) one is a unitasker and would never make it into my house and the other one is crazy expensive.

I've done the shoe string and shirt methods, but more recently on regular pots I've taken to using an ESP multi spanner tool with a bit of that white polystyrene foam sheeting under it. Easy does it. Rule number one: DON'T FORCE IT!

Up until recently, I've had the set screw type on my push pulls, so it hasn't been an issue, but I imagine I'd use the ESP tool and some playing cards to make up the gap in the push pull's extended position.

Bobbydazzler likes this.
  6. Bobbydazzler

Bobbydazzler Active Member

Thanks peeps!
    Changed them with no probs thanks to your advice.
    I might end up reverting back to the speed knobs though as they are nice and smooth compared to the bell cap ones.

BlackSG91 and Raiyn like this.
  7. texred

texred Member

8. texred

texred Member

Mine don't have push/pull, but I bought it only a month old, and like 6 months later the tone knob fell off in my hand and I was only tuning up. Oh me of little patience, it was already busted so I put the stupid glue to it. On closer inspection, there was a terrible glue patch showing through the clear top. Hmmph. Pissed. Maybe mod time. I was gonna do the tuners coz they're crap (slipping) and we can't have that. $$ 99 plus HOW MUCH MORE. A 2016 I bought in 2016. I'll put pics up as soon as I figure out how. Still, I am playing this and not Squier residing on couch. Ha ha! Nobody even wants to sit next to it. Trippy.

9. texred

texred Member

Happy Days Bobbydazzler! Guess it's my turn to whine. 'Cept Captn. Kirk never answers.
    Just like Santa with the 61 Standard.

10. texred

texred Member

I goofed good.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  11. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member