Where’s Lancpudin?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Digger, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Lancpudn

Lancpudn Well-Known Member

Going into the import & export business then! :rofl: They make a great secure lock up storage/garage.

2. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Agree! I’ve got some expensive gear sitting out on the verandah ATM .

Grant my son-in-law arrived with his large front end loader mid afternoon yesterday. He worked for a couple of hours and cleaned up in front of the house, digging out stumps and removing damaged trees. He did an amazing amount in that time.

Coming back today to do more and I have to get into town early to buy more Jerry cans and diesel. It can use up to 100 litres a day!

Also have to buy a bag of quickset concrete so I can put in a new rotary clothes line, which arrived yesterday.

Both sons are due down this morning keen to help out. Good boys, great family!
    Friends also heading out to help today too.

BBQ lunch!

Lancpudn and Paruwi like this.
  3. Lancpudn

Blimey! 100 litres/day :shock: that would bankrupt you here lol. I shall be chitting today :thumb: I got my seed spuds yesterday and will be sorting them out for planting up when the frosts are over.

[​IMG]

Paruwi likes this.
  4. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I have to head off early and replace the 70 litres used yesterday. Fuel is a small part of the cost if somebody other than family was doing this work!

5. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

It was interesting yesterday when I was helping pull my farm shed apart, put down my cap for a minute and when I put it back on there was something (felt big and lively) running around on the top of my head under the cap.....mobile dandruff??

I took it off and rummaged around only to have a black nasty looking spider run up my arm and fall at my feet. I trod on it so it had a worse day than I did!

I know how much you guys like spider stories!

6. Lancpudn

EEeuuuuwwwww!!!! :thumb::rofl:

[​IMG]

Paruwi likes this.
  7. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I had to buy a couple of new drag chains yesterday as the ones I had lost their strength in the fire and snapped under load. These are rated to 5.8 tonne breaking strain.

I might get a new gunsafe delivered here today too, it’s on its way.

8. Lancpudn

I've never been near a real gun let alone fired one :shock: The only thing I had that resembled a firearm was a spud gun as a kid in the early 1960's lol. :rofl:

9. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Chuckle...I had a cracker gun before that time! You’d drop a penny burger down a metal pump barrel with the wick through the connection hole and drop a marble down on the cracker!

We used to shoot holes in the windsock on the airport verge!!

Those were the days!

Lancpudn likes this.
  10. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

About guns, I had a gun continually from age of 16 and before the fire I had 3. Then I live on a property and guns are just tools, not thought of as weapons. Then there was 2 1/2 years in the army including a tour in Vietnam, so guns are part of my psyche.

Some of our American mates likely started with guns much earlier than I did. I’ve already bought a .22 LR and will shortly replace my lost .22 cal PCP air rifle. Over the last 5 or 6 years there was hardly a day that I didn’t use a gun.

Lancpudn likes this.
  11. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

We had 12 people from “Samaritans Purse” working their bums off for us yesterday and they were magnificent! There were people from Canada. USA, England, interstate Aussies and a few locals. I would be proud to call any of them friend!

Since the fires we've had many people here and many empty words, but this wonderful group of people did so much work for us that it really made a huge difference here! They are a wonderful group who show true Christian principles IMO.

It was great day for us!

12. Lancpudn

What a great bunch of people, I'm glad things are getting back to some sort of normality for you guys after that disaster mate.:thumb:

On another note I've been out to check my greenhouse for storm damage after Storm Dennis came a calling, none to report & the radish seeds are showing signs of growth already. :thumb:

Digger likes this.
  13. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Radishes seem to have fallen out of fashion here and you seldom see them. Quite like them myself.

I have to get into town early and order a stack of farm fencing materials. It's getting close to the time to get them reconstructed. I have to still clear one fence-line though. I need to get the tractor in next door and push the old posts over so they can be moved out of the way.

Oh yeah! I have to also renew my boat operators licence (tax) while I’m in town today! That comes up every few years.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020 at 2:42 PM
    Lancpudn likes this.
  14. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

I never really cared for them until we started getting lots of varieties at the farmer’s market. We’ve been getting some called watermelon radishes that are really good and lovely colors.

Lancpudn and Digger like this.
  15. Lancpudn

I planted some red & black radish seeds, the black ones are still white on the inside but have a black skin & by all accounts are hot & very zingy, I'll give them a try but if they're anything like horseradish I think I leave them alone.:thumb:

16. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I had my day organised yesterday but almost nothing came to fruition. An early call from the govt appointed clean up contractors resulted in a long meeting mid morning where I gave instructions and permissions for the work to be carried out. It will still be a few weeks but at least it’s happening, and at no cost to us.

After lunch the president of our local RSL (Returned and Services League) called in to see how we are and left a small but gratefully received cheque with us to help in recovery. He has been of great assistance! (It ’s hard taking charity for the first time in our lives)

Our computer bloke came mid afternoon and worked on computers for us and took away a couple of laptops to transfer Gael’s stuff over so she can have my Lenovo Win 10 machine that I seldom use. My Mac has done everything I need for the last 5 years!

In the meantime I gave my new mower a tryout not expecting it to handle the long wet grass but it just blasted through, handled anything I put in it’s way! Happy with that as my old one would have stalled.

During the day, 2 aid organisations deposited donated funds into our account and having already done the same previously I can say it was significant amount of money...again! We now look like we will end up much better financially than we have ever been before. Of course some of that will be banking the insurance for the cottage that we won’t need to rebuild.

Friday I get fitted with new hearing aids that I couldn’t afford, or didn’t want to pay for! My hearing disability is a direct result from nearly being blown up in Vietnam and I believe that if my needs are for better aids, then the govt should provide them. But not so unfortunately. However my audiologist and a hearing aid supplier have contributed, meaning that I get better aids totally free! That’s an amount of $4,000 they are covering for me.

I’m starting to feel like a lucky little Digger and am amazed at the generosity of the Australian people!

It wasn’t the day I expected but it ended up pretty darn good anyway!

Lancpudn likes this.
  17. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Sounds like it :cheers:

Digger likes this.
  18. Lancpudn

What great people, Good on yer mate. Blimey! I can understand not wanting to pay that amount for hearing aids, I think I'll be needing some before much longer, I tell everybody to use email if you want to get in touch with me unless you want a conversation with...what!....speak up.....cant hear you!!! LOL

My missus got a pair off the NHS & only had to contribute about £80 towards them, The damn cats have chewed them because she leaves them beside the bed & the cats nick em in the night. :facepalm:

Digger likes this.
  19. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

We get them up to a certain standard free, it’s just that I need more powerful ones or else all my conversations are “Sorry, what did you say?” We won’t even talk about phone conversations~

Lancpudn likes this.
  20. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I managed to clear our 300 metre boundary of burned fence posts yesterday morning. Thats close to 30 posts I cut out. Then while I was down the back, I cut up a few small trees that had come down in the fire and were blocking access to the rear boundary. By the time I finished up my back was screaming and I came in and had a cuppa and a couple of Panadol. Just carrying the chainsaw 600 metres is enough to wreck my back! Then I took the tractor back down to loosen one post that had star pickets either side of it.

All the while we had contractors hired by the shire cleaning up trees I'd felled on the front boundary. Theres some tree trunks that I’ll cut up yet, though not today. There’s blackberry emerging along some of the boundaries so I’ll assemble my backpack spray and knock them over while they are small. (Bloody Poms and their indulgences) I have only seen a couple of rabbits since the fire but I’ll go ahead and replace my PCP air rifle soon as while they are down in numbers it’s a good time to put pressure on the survivors.

My mate Tony came around later and we used the tractor to move a pile of heavy metal roof trusses from the shed that were in the way. The gravel in front of the slab is chewed up but I’ll spread a bit more gravel this morning.

So I had a productive day yesterday all told, other than a crook back this morning. No heavy stuff today, I’ll stick to using the tractor.

I’m expecting $3.5k of fencing materials to be delivered today. 2 boundaries are already done. I’m putting in all mesh this time so we can run a few sheep, or the next owners can have that option at least. A volunteer group are doing the rebuilding. (God bless them!)

Lancpudn likes this.