Where’s Lancpudin?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Digger, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Comfrey is my favourite herb!

If you suffer from cold sores as I do, simply pulp some stem and hold it on the sore for a couple of minutes, the sore just goes away! The quicker you get it on the quicker the cold sore heals up. So Comfrey is a summer plant but Borage is the next best thing in winter. Aloe Vera is a must for burns! Never without it!

I’ve grown and used a lot of herbs in my time!

As you say it’s a great liquid fertiliser as is fresh horse of cow poo steeped in water for a couple days. Aged chicken manure is the king of animal fertilisers!

Lancpudn likes this.
  2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I honestly hope our county / city officials wake up and put us on lockdown. I don't hold much hope for anyone higher on the food chain to have the huevos to counter the party line that everything is fine.

Lancpudn likes this.
  3. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Memphis is under a shelter in place order, with “essential” businesses open. That list is long, but fortunately includes the bottle shop. Tennessee’s governor, on the other hand, doesn’t want to be seen as responsible when many businesses tank, so he’s not ordering anything statewide, as - and I fairly accurately quote - “Tennesseans are good at following suggestions, so we don’t need to make it mandatory, and we’ll all pray over it, too.” Now I’m reading they want a return to normalcy by Easter. I fear many are doomed.

Lancpudn likes this.
  4. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

That sounds frustrating Greg!

All you can do is protect you and yours mate.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020 at 8:47 PM
    Lancpudn likes this.
  5. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Well, after I posted about normalcy returning by Easter, I saw the story below. Since it’s specific to Memphis, and I used to work closely with the referenced physician, we’re just boned if they give false hope too soon.

http://a.msn.com/01/en-us/BB11E6nt?ocid=scu2

Lancpudn likes this.
  6. Lancpudn

Lancpudn Well-Known Member

It doesn't bear thinking about if that's the case :wow: Frightening indeed.

Some people just don't get it here! This pic was taken yesterday on the London underground. :facepalm:

[​IMG]

7. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness! Where are the masks & gloves?
    What hope is there?

When I came out yesterday there was the biggest bird poo on my drivers door that I should have realised it was going to be a “crap“ day. Should have gone back to bed right then & there!

However I didn’t and it just got worse!

One ray of sunshine was that I picked my new hearing aids (the others were loaners) and they are marvellous! Very happy with the end result. So the day ended up better than it started!

Quiet one here today and many more to come!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020 at 2:29 PM
  8. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Well, at least that's something. Pinellas County just passed a "Safer at Home" resolution which is exactly as toothless as it sounds. It's NOT a "Stay at Home", that would require brass and intestinal fortitude.

9. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

That’s the term they are officially using, but have made it clear if they think you’re out just assling around, you will be stopped. That said, the list of what’s considered “essential” is quite lengthy.

10. Lancpudn

We got a letter the other week from Virgin media (our broadband supplier) which said the internet will be off some time today for maintenance work, I suppose I'll have to go outside in the sunshine and get a tan :rofl:

11. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

12. Lancpudn

I didn't know that! I've had cold sores all my life & will try that, the seeds haven't arrived yet, neither have my tomato seeds :frown: I shouldn't complain what with everything that's going on at present.
    That 100 litre water butt with a tap on it is going to be for the comfrey cuttings to soak in.

I asked my daughter to get me some bags of horse manure from the stables in January, I'm still waiting for it :frown::rolleyes:
    The potato fertiliser pellets I bought are made from mostly chicken dropping, I've planted some seed potatoes out & I'll plant some more in monthly intervals to have a constant supply of spuds :thumb:

I saw in the news that garden centres are doing a roaring trade in selling seeds & vegetable plants for people wanting to grow their own vegetables, It sounds like war time when rationing was on & everyone grew veggies.:thumb:

13. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I used to have a garden full of herbs, hundreds of them. They were used for both medicinal & culinary purposes. My garden new looked great but few recognised it was all herbs.

14. Lancpudn

I must admit a bed of herbs does look like weeds to me too lol, I'm trying out more herbs this year, Basil,Thyme, chives,Dill,Rosemary, Comfrey As of yet none of the seeds have germinated :frown:
    I'm hoping I don't have to bin those as I had to do with my tomato seeds.:frown:

I'll look for a greenhouse heater this Summer, People tend to get rid of them in the warmer weather. :thumb:

15. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

I saw a similar story comparing it to the Victory Gardens during WWII. We’ve got spinach, lettuce, green onions, dill, radishes, and thyme going now, and will add basil and a few other things later. The bride has also gotten interested in micro greens, so we have various trays of that going now, too.

16. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Can you keep them inside until it’s a bit warmer and they come up?

What about insulating them some way and putting plastic over the top for nights and colder snaps?

Lancpudn likes this.
  17. Lancpudn

I've got some inside on the top shelf in the conservatory (where the cats cant get at them) and all the seed trays & pots are sat on cardboard & wrapped in bubble wrap in the greenhouse.

I was beginning to think it was the multi-purpose compost I was using but the root vegetable seeds have all germinated, just too cold for the soft vegetables yet.

I've run out of compost & trying to get some delivered has been difficult with most places shut down, The ones still open for online shopping either only delivered locally (not in my area) or they wanted a fortune for P+P. Anyhow I managed to order two 80ltr bags of the good compost from a place in Liverpool & they're only charging £6 for P+P, it would have cost me more than that going for it in the car (If I could)

Still waiting on the replacement tomato seeds to arrive in the post yet, they're well overdue :dunno: Still! they're first world problems compared with the coronavirus situation.

I almost forgot It's our 47th wedding anniversary today & with us both self isolating & local shops closed I haven't got my missus a bunch of flowers or a card :ohno::facepalm:

I read today the UK flower growers are having to bin all this years flowers from their greenhouses, I suspect a few of them will go bankrupt.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52098436

18. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

There will be many businesses just don’t reopen after this despite govt. support. In this area we lost a large chunk of tourist season with the bushfires before this all started.
    Double whammy!

Roz moved into her house yesterday and thought she had it all co-ordinated. Settlement being delayed 2 hours meant that appliance and furniture delivery ended up on the back lawn and whereas I thought we had an easy ride, another bloke and I had to get it all up a couple of sets of steep sets with a very basic trolley.

We got it done but my back suffered as did my asthma.

Going back this morning to assemble furniture for her...what fun! At least we didn’t get sprung for breaching the assembly rules.