Where’s Lancpudin?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Digger, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

My son-in-law Grant finally dropped his hydraulic log splitter around for me to look after for him..

I had a bit of fun getting it to start but as you can see, I did.

I started on a pile of rock hard manky old wood knotted and with branch junctions, stuff that has laughed at my puny efforts with a hand splitter.

This is some of the hardest eucalypt known to us here in Oz!
    [​IMG]

This is the result of about an hour’s work and I’ve still got slightly less than half of the a pile to split. My back gave out, not the machine, but I clearly remember it muttering and going WTF when it hit some of the knottier stuff. Yep a 30 ton machine still had a difficulty with my collection of “too hard for now” firewood. I hope to finish that pile tomorrow and then start on the next 2 piles of dry stuff.

The stack behind the machine is supposed to be this years firewood but I doubt that I’ll need to touch it with all the other dry stuff lying around. So let’s call that next year’s and the new stack, the year after that, say 2020.

Life has just got easier!

vomer and Lancpudn like this.
  2. Lancpudn

Lancpudn Well-Known Member

Nice going Digger,That looks like a cracking bit o kit. Is that type of wood slow burning? nothing like being ahead of the game with firewood.

Digger likes this.
  3. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Most of what I split today is Eucalyptus commonly known as Red Box. I’ve destroyed chainsaws trying to cut it! Heavy as hell too.

When it’s this dry it is able to burn slowly and releases incredible heat!

I put in 2 major bits and a few smaller bits to get it going and after a short time we turned the fan off and closed the air down. It's been like that most of the night and it’s still hot inside. Good dry wood burns clean and hot and mostly I’m using just a couple bits per night.

It looks easy with the hydraulic splitter but the reality is I’m still picking up and carrying 20 to 30 kilo lumps of wood to the splitter.

I didn’t have a hope in hell of splitting this stuff by hand though and 20 hard hits on my part just bounced off and left me gasping.

Most of this is stuff I’ve recovered from the bush using the new tractor and bucket so I reckon it’s all a bonus. having the right “kit” makes things possible for me as an old fossil, which otherwise I mightn’t be able to do.

Heaps more to do in the next little while but soon I’ll have more wood stored than I’ve ever been able to manage before. Having wood stored to me is like acorns in a tree hollow for a squirrel~

Lancpudn likes this.
  4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Mind yer fingers! I had a friend from grade school who did a fine job of wrecking his hand with one of those things.

Digger likes this.
  5. Lancpudn

WoW! that stuff is really dense by the sound of it, The people with woodburners here in towns have to pay for bundles of wood which is almost as expensive as gas fire bills, very little woodland left around these parts and the woodland that's left is in private hands & out of bounds even for fallen trees. A mate of my brothers has a hand press that compacts wet newspaper into ingot sized blocks, (he throws piles of old newspapers into a bath at the bottom of his garden) that when dried out burn quite well.

6. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Thanks Raiyn I’m very aware of where I have my hands when I’m spitting.
    Actually it doesn’t close right up so that could be a safety feature.

Buying firewood here is very expensive too Ian. though where I live is close to miles and miles of state forest so there is wood available though it gets worked over pretty well.

I have about 4 acres of my own bush and all I need comes from down the back of our block. I had about 40 trees knocked over about 10 years ago and I’ve been working through them. Still got some nice trees left but mostly are big ones and are pretty hard work for an old bloke.

However as you say, I’m currently ahead of the game but can’t let myself get lazy now can i?

Lancpudn likes this.
  7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Just looking out for ya, wouldn't want you to have to learn Django Reinhardt style. :cheers:

Digger likes this.
  8. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Some days I’d be happy to cut the buggers off! (arthritis)

9. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Well....As long as you've got the one finger you need to tell someone how "special" they are...

Digger likes this.
  10. Lancpudn

Our two young cats are at the vets today to be neutered :wow: We dropped them off at 8:30am and still no word from them 2:00pm:dunno:

My wallets gonna be real empty later today. :frown:

11. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Been there, done that. While I prefer the presorted variety provided by our local humane society and animal shelters, we occasionally end up with an intact furball. Do yourself a favor and DON'T look up how the procedure is performed.
    [​IMG]

In fairness, it does take a bit of time to recover from anesthesia.

12. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Discretion is the better part of valour.....I’m not getting into discussions about cats....I’m not getting into discussions about cats~

It’s alright, I feel better now.

13. Lancpudn

LOL you know you really like them. I thought that having their nuts chopped might quieten them down a bit, little blighters have been running amok all night like lunatics. :shock: I hardly got any sleep.:frown:

14. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

:D
    I can't fall asleep without one.

Lancpudn likes this.
  15. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Moved a heap of split firewood yesterday and then barrowed some bigger stuff up to the splitter to be processed today.

16. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I woke up with vertigo for the first time for ages yesterday and despite medication it stuck with me throughout the day.

I used a walking stick to go up and feed the chooks, just to steady myself when needed and split a large amount of wood yesterday, in fact finished all that I have currently to do.
    I was OK doing that as I was able to lean on the splitter all the time.

Today I have to move all the stuff I split and a pile of green stuff has to be stacked for drying. I reckon I’m now putting away wood for season 2020. 3 years supply will be my best ever effort.

I had an ultra sound the other day and was told cheerfully that I now have 2 hernias, not just the one I knew I had! It doesn’t pay to go to these medical joints, they only tell you stuff you don’t want to hear...grin~

I have to admit that my tummy feels a bit sore this morning.

17. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

With little more than a month to go before we head for Blighty, it’s getting real now!

We are in the throes of finalising the 8 days after the UK cruise which looks like an organised tour (small bus) for 5 days mostly SW and 3 days in London. All we get is a taste of things, but we can’t stay longer than we are, so are fitting as much in as we can.

I’ve been there before but it’s the culmination of a lifelong dream for Gael and I’m determined to see she does it before we get too old. Anyway this time it will be heaps better as we will be doing it together.

Lancpudn and vomer like this.
  18. vomer

vomer Active Member

Digger, sorry to hear about the vertigo, it is no fun at all. (And the hernias, I haven't had that pleasure yet.) I had an episode which lasted an evening and a day a couple of months ago. I think it was viral, I'd heard of a couple of other people having it before me.

Lots to see in the south west. Have you got an itinerary for the tour? I would imagine any tour of the SW would include Glastonbury with its ruined Abbey, Tor, and generally wacky mystical heritage, and Wells, England's smallest city and one of its best cathedrals, with the wells which give the city its name in the grounds of the Bishop's Palace. And as an added bonus special attraction, I live there :thumb:.

[​IMG]

Wells Cathedral and the wells. It's not too bad here! (Pic by Rodw, wikimedia.)

Davis Sharp and Lancpudn like this.
  19. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Thats a lovely pic Paul!

Here’s the link to what we are considering. With the time difference we are expecting to talk to then this arvo and clear up a few things about accomodation and dates etc. If that looks alright then we’ll book later today.

We have the choice of B&B’s or 4 star hotels and I really need to know that accomodation has facilities in every room. I’m well past walking down the hall to go to the toilet in the middle of the night.

Anyway see how it goes.

The day by day description of the trip is on this link with drop down boxes for more detail. Tell me what you think. https://www.go-tours.co.uk/cornwall-and-the-cotswolds-tour/

20. Lancpudn

Sorry to hear of the Vertigo Digger, it's a terrible feeling, Both my younger brother & I suffer that, it feels like you're seasick & your balance goes out the window, my brother is a builder & now turns down roof work because his insurance wont cover him up ladders/heights now.

that's a nice itinerary you've booked there, very nice parts of the country. :cool: