Yet more GAS...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Dudemeister, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Dudemeister

Dudemeister Member

Just picked up yet another strange axe. A Optek Fretlight FG-200.

For those unfamiliar, these are a teaching tool more than a guitar, although it's a pretty decent axe as well. The guitar has LED dots on every fret and every string. on the tail end of the body, behind the bridge there are 3 switches: 1 selects Notes, Chords or Scales, another switch selects the key/note, and the last selects the chord or scale style/type (major, minor, pentatonic, lydian, etc).

For each selection the LEDs on the fretboard light up to show you where the correct notes are. This is a great teaching tool, especially for those that want to learn scales or how to play every chord know t man in every position possible.

This particular guitar was made in Korea in 95, and is a pretty well made Strat type w/SSS configuration. These guitars are self contained, in that they do not require a computer connection, just power for the electronics. Unfortunately Optek in no longer making these. The current models have a USB connection and the require a computer and software make them work. They do have extra features, such as the ability to load a song and learn how to play it by following the LEDs.

Anyway, here it is:

Fretlight-001.jpg
    Fretlight-002.jpg

2. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

... & ya can fire your lighting guy :naughty:

HNStrobin’StratD to you DM :thumb:

Jay Bones likes this.
  3. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Active Member

How much did you get it for if I may ask?

Looks nice! Any sound sample?

4. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer Well-Known Member

There! I liked a post with a strat !!! (°~°)

5. Dudemeister

Dudemeister Member

Someone at work was getting rid of it, so I took it off their hands for only $200.

Sound wise, I don't have any sample videos, but it sounds pretty much like what you would expect out of a single coil Strat, except the tone knobs affect all the pickups, all the time, which is kind of different, especially since you can do a combination of both tones and achieve a sort of scooped sound, or a dark one if you need, even on the bridge pickup.

Edit:
    Now that I got a chance to fool around with it some more, the first tone works on the neck pickup, and the second tone works on the middle and bridge pickups. If you put the selector switch in the in-between pickups, you get the tone controls working on both pickups.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Stuart and littlebadboy like this.
  6. Brian16sg

Brian16sg Active Member

Cool i didnt know there was such a guitar like this .

7. Jay Bones

Jay Bones Active Member

Yeah, these are cool.

Believe they also have an acoustic, and that Orianthi has their endorsement.

8. Mr Hockey

Mr Hockey New Member

That's a cool looking guitar.

9. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

The one is nice in that you don't have to connect it to the computer. Did you change settings between pics? The lights show the Am pentatonic scale, but the dials show the C# maj scale.

Last year, FretLite was clearing out the old acoustic and electric models for $0 + about $50 shipping from California to me. So I bought the acoustic. I should have bought the electric. The acoustic had a completely laminate body and sounded like a toy. I traded it in, plus a few bucks, for the LP Special I.

10. Dudemeister

Dudemeister Member

I didn't remember if I moved the knobs or not, so I went back and took some photos.

So, you were almost right. Take a look at the photos, on the left C# Major, on the right A Minor. Notice the difference?

C# ~ Am.jpg

Just 1 fret up!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  11. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer Well-Known Member

I know which xmas tree you'll decorate this year!!!

Paruwi likes this.