Your very first Amp

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Paruwi, Feb 2, 2019.

1. stilwel

stilwel New Member

Peavey Backstage, God-awful buzzbox of an amp. I bought this and an import Kramer ZX20 guitar for $300 from a kid I worked with.
    Terrible stuff, but they got me started and completely changed my life.

[​IMG]

Shortly thereafter I bought a brand new Marshall Silver Jubilee Micro-Stack.
    It was a 12 Watt head with 2-10" cabinets.
    The only new Marshall I've ever purchased.

[​IMG]

The Convert likes this.
  2. The Convert

The Convert Well-Known Member

Can't remember my first, dinky, anonymous crap amp, but in the early nineties I picked up my second amp: a Fender Stage 112 SE. Super clean and crazy loud (no problem 'getting over' a drummer--but could drown him out easily). Distortion channel was...well, an acquired taste? But I played that thing for over 10 years with just a Boss Chorus and a DS1. Great amp. I have a similar Deluxe 112 now that I use for specific recording situations. Great stuff.

[​IMG]

3. The Convert

I had one too for a video I made. It's a shockingly good sounding amp.

4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

So.....are you back for real now, or are you doing a drive by? You've been missed.

5. The Convert

Thanks friend. We will see if I can trust myself to behave. I like to think that when I'm at my best I enjoy the exchanges. When I'm not, I really regret shaking up the community.

But I am curious about how things are going. I miss a lot of folks on this board.

6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

That's a reasonable mindset, bearing in mind - sometimes things need to be shook. As long as it doesn't get personal, things should be fine.

The Convert likes this.
  7. Bradley D. Lyons

Bradley D. Lyons Active Member

I had a used mid 60's Peavy of some sort, can't remember the model (it was 45 years ago after all). It did have a 12 inch speaker and my ES-335 was really loud through it.

8. Cozmik Cowboy

Cozmik Cowboy Active Member

OK, upon further reflection, I lied: the BR-1 was my first guitar amp. My first amp? I bought a Winston P-bass clone & a Paris combo bass amp from my high school librarian for a grand total of $75. It, too, met an untimely end - but this one was my fault.

My stereo just wasn't pumping Bloodknot's D.O.A. quite loud enough to sufficiently piss off the old man, so I plugged from the headphone out on the stereo to the input on the Paris & dimed it all. Woe was me, that let the magic smoke out of the amp and it wouldn't loud any more ever again.

9. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Too many angry pixies.

10. Brian16sg

Brian16sg Active Member

image.jpg I have been playing for almost a year now so I'm still Playing my first Amp. It was a hand me down from my little brother. It's a Crate G-60 . I practice unplugged most of the time but lately I have been pluging it in and playing with pedals . It can get loud so far I have only turned up 1/2 way so far.

Attached Files:

IGRocker and Paruwi like this.
  11. tosapicker

tosapicker New Member

Back in '65 my grandfather bought me a new Deluxe Reverb.

BGood and Paruwi like this.
  12. dcml27

dcml27 New Member

Back in 1969 I walked into a pawn shop looking for my 1st amp. I knew the name Fender. They had a small black amp with Fender on it. I plugged it in, the red light came on so I bought it. The price was $100 plus 3% sales tax. Total $103.00
    It was a 1965 Black Face Princeton Reverb all original.
    Guess I lucked out on that one.

Paruwi and BGood like this.