2020 Les Paul Special meets Scotchbrite

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Fullmoon 1971, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Fullmoon 1971

Fullmoon 1971 Well-Known Member

As many of you know I bought a 2020 Les Paul Special a fews weeks ago and while the guitar itself is beyond compare in virtually all aspects, the gloss yellow finish was a little glaring. Plus the fact that the back of the neck and the sides of the body were a more authenic shade of yellow, I had already decidedto scotchbrite the back of the neck so I set about my task. I originally just did from the heel to the bottom of the headstock (stinger style). when it was done it felt great so I removed the pickguard and did a test patch underneath. the finish subdued immediately with no visible scratch marks so I stripped the guitar of all its hardware (minus pickups) and went to town. The whole thing took about 3 1/2 hours including stripping and reinstalling hardware. The pickups covers and selector chip also got done using the scotchbrite as well as the rest of the headstock (minus front).

As she originally looked
    [​IMG]

After the Scotchbriting
    [​IMG]

Closeup of Body
    [​IMG]

Back of guitar
    [​IMG]

I picked up a few sets of gold numbered knobs and set about one set with 240 grit sandpaper to round of the top edge and age the knob itself (just need to go over them with some 1000 grit now
    [​IMG]

I feel the end result is a major improvement overall, she now feels so much nicer to play and I don't need my sunglasses to look at her

Charles, Gary, soulman969 and 4 others like this.
  2. Sideways

Sideways New Member

Looks much better. I just got one today. The 1st I thought was I wish it was duller. Incredible guitar for the price. I may consider what you did in a couple weeks.

Fullmoon 1971 and soulman969 like this.
  3. soulman969

soulman969 Well-Known Member

I'm normally not bothered by any neck finish or lack thereof but the Michael Kelly model I bought most recently does seem to have a rather thick poly coat on the back of the neck. Almost dipped rather than sprayed.

This finish is jet black which of course matches the rear body as well but I've been tempted to dull that neck finish a bit just to give it a bit more natural feel. So far fear of screwing it up is all that prevents it.

And I do like the "New" look of your LP. IMHO those models should have a flat or a satin finish. :thumb:

Fullmoon 1971 likes this.
  4. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Don't be scared. Easy as 1-2-3 and it takes 5 minutes. You don't like it ? Give it back its gloss with some car polish compound. Another 5 minutes. I Scotch Brite the back of all my guitar necks, it's automatic, like changing OEM strings.

5. Gary

Gary Member

@Fullmoon 1971 That looks great! What Scotch Brite did you use? Different colors have different coarseness. Green, brown, gray, etc. Which one did you use?

Thanks!

6. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Scotch Brite.jpg

Charles, Gary, Caddy and 2 others like this.
  7. Fullmoon 1971

Fullmoon 1971 Well-Known Member

The exact ones @BGood posted above. There really isn't that much to it. I've done my 08 korina V as well, will be posting that soon in another thread

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    Gary and Caddy like this.