A new roof is expensive

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Otto99, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

But I’ll wager you all knew that. There is some probable damage from a storm a few weeks ago, but no leaks. I’m hoping the insurance company will at least subsidize the expense.

Lancpudn and soulman969 like this.
  2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

The insurance company should cover it, minus your deductible.

Raiyn likes this.
  3. Lancpudn

Lancpudn Well-Known Member

I hope you can get it sorted out Greg, I didn't have much luck with our house insurance. :frown:

I had some work done on the roof a couple of years ago but the last Winter storm found a weak spot & we had two small leaks appear in the ceiling of adjoining bedrooms, The insurance company wouldn't pay for any repairs on it because of it's age (100 years old) we have red clay tiles (same as in this picture) called rose tiles on the roof & I had around 60 replaced & the chimney stack repointed with fresh mortar but there must be a few more that are cracked :frown:

[​IMG]

4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

All too well. Did you get a warranty when it was installed? That *might* be helpful.

5. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Hot dawg! The insurance company is footing about 2/3rds of the cost, so my out of pocket is less than $3,000! New cabinets for the kitchen are next!

Raiyn and Davis Sharp like this.
  6. Davis Sharp

Good news. 0

New cabinets? How about new guitars. Priorities man, priorities.

Raiyn likes this.
  7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Egads man! I'm over here trying to duck painting rooms and you're talking bloody cabinets!

Next thing for us (other than the outside outlet which I still haven't gotten to) is a new bed.

8. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

First, I really need to further my skills on the two rather nice guitars I already have before adding to the arsenal, and second, the guy we bought the house from fancied himself a woodworker and made the cabinets. He was quite wrong about his cabinetry skills, as they started deteriorating over the years and I’m tired of fixing his ugly broke ass cabinets and drawers.

Davis Sharp likes this.
  9. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Cabinets, or at least new drawer and cabinet facings, will require a total repaint of the kitchen, which is needed at this point after looking at my once cool but now tired colors and decor for 20 odd years.

10. Cozmik Cowboy

Cozmik Cowboy Well-Known Member

My garage roof got to where about 1/3 of one slope was just gone - shingles, sheathing, everything (youngest son kept saying he'd do it - my back won't let me do such things now - next time he was in town.
    I live in IL, he lives in AK. Wasn't getting done, needless to say.

Roofer asked if any of it was from the big storm that hit while I was out of town: "Oh, you bet; been picking up pieces since we got home." "Hmmm" quoth he, "let me check the house, too."

At least one shingle off each slope. And it turns out they are "organic shingles", which are obsolete - can't patch it, so one shingle off means that whole slope gets redid.

Call the adjuster; he meets the roofer, they talk it over, adjuster says "So, I see you've been with State Farm since 2006; that'll help."
    "No - that's just this house; we've had State Farm since '83."
    "Oh! Then if you'd had one shingle loose - total - they'd probably buy you a new roof!"

Large, ~100-y-o house, with 4 gables and some fairly serious pitch, plus a one-car "storage unit" of like vintage; garage completely resheathed, house sheathing patched, new shingles, new gutters & downspouts; IIRC, about $35K total.

My out-of-pocket? $145.

11. Davis Sharp

My neighborhood is 20 years old, so it's routine for roofing companies to come by every other week and tell us that we're missing shingles, our roofs are old, and we need should replace the whole roof. Then, when you sign a contract with them, they take care of the insurance claims and appraisals.

I thought it was all a ripoff, because in my mind, the owner initiates the insurance claim, gets an estimate, and then hires contractors. So I resisted the roofers for years. But the business model here is different. I think it's still a bit shady, because they want you to sign a contract before they inspect your roof, and one of my neighbors was almost ripped off by an unscrupulous contractor. But I finally went with a company that did the inspection (outside and in) first.

I also have 3 gables with dormer windows and steep pitches. My out of pocket was the deductible (about $3K), so @Cozmik Cowboy got an great deal. The roofers got about $30K from the insurance company and I think their actual costs were $20K - including the solar panel un- and re-installation. It's a profitable business.

12. Cozmik Cowboy

Cozmik Cowboy Well-Known Member

Yeah - I only called the roofer to see how long it would take me to save up for a new roof on the garage; I was downright giddy at how it worked out (part of it was the adjuster saw something from inside the attic that made him think we needed a lot more sheathing replaced than we did; the contractor applied the overage to our deductible.

13. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

I called four contractors. The first guy was here for maybe 5 minutes, including a rooftop walk around, and said $9,500 and I probably wouldn’t get any help from insurance. Second guy thought maybe the insurance company would help, said they’d take care of it, and then gave me three choices - good, better, best - that were all north of $10 grand. Third guy was positive he could get the insurance company to cover the entire bill minus deductible, and gave two choices, the lesser option being $9200, better being $9,900. Fourth guy, and the eventual winner, said no, you call them as they are far more likely to help a long time customer than some roofer dude who may be a scam. The insurance guy appreciated that, told me up front that full cost replacement wasn’t in the cards because the roof is at least 25 years old, but they’d go 2/3rds. They start on Wednesday!

Raiyn and Davis Sharp like this.