Any Standard 50’s owners able to answer a question??

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Zero, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Zero

Zero New Member

Jesus man, I have a set laying around, did you read the whole thread or cherry pick what you wanted to gripe about?

2. Zero

Zero New Member

I’m kind of taken back that this went from wanting to know if these had quick connects because I want to put these pickups I’ve had for a few years into a guitar, I happen to have a set of caps that I did not pay for as I have been luthier/guitar tech for years and I am well aware that caps as much as the solder you use does effect anything.

But I sure do appreciate those of you who had to force your internet education onto me. I tried to be humble and accept info, but then another one comes along to say what the person before said.

I appreciate your opinion, but staying on topic would probably keep some ones interest in your forum.

Also assuming I don’t know anything is a poor way to provide a welcome to a new member.

I don’t care if you cancel my membership here, obviously according to all these keyboard cowboys I don’t have enough knowledge to be here. Maybe I should give up my 30 years of playing and 20 years of guitar tech work because I’m not worthy.

soulman969 likes this.
  3. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down, nobody is attacking you. Considering the number of new folks who come to forums who don't know ish is significantly higher than the number of people who potentially know what they're doing one should kind of expect a bit of overshared information. This isn't a private board, the posts are Google-able. Even if it doesn't help you, it will drive the point home for someone else - who doesn't know what the **** they're doing.

Don't threaten to leave - it's the internet 'nuff said. Having said that let me address your next point.
    Where in your 11 posts have you made any mention of that other than right now? Bear with me...
    We have no idea if you've been at this for 6 months or 60 years from this so we have to fill in the blanks for ourselves based on what experience we have had collectively - which is generally people who want to do X because Y internet source said it was cool. Try to see it from the other side for two seconds.

Stay if you wish, (encouraged) there's a bunch of guys with a ton of information and experience who would love to help -especially to save a guy a bit of cash- that you can add to the collective knowledgebase of. But if you decide to leave, at least know that the guys were only trying to help a new member, in our own way, and (more than likely) some rando Google searcher wondering about caps.

To mangle a famous movie quote: "Forget it Zero, it's the internet."

One last thing: threads get sidetracked ALL the time. NGD's tend to stay on track, but anything else can tangent off after a bit. Just happens.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    Davis Sharp likes this.
  4. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

I think caps are as much of a personal preference as anything else. Some people just like to know they have them in there. I don't know all of the scientific mumbo-jumbo about them and to be honest I really don't care. While I totally agree that caps like the new Gibson bumblebees for over $100 a pair is absurd, there's nothing wrong with wanting some good caps. If I'm gonna replace all of the electronics with high quality stuff then I'm probably not gonna buy the cheapest caps I can find. Hell, I've got 2 PIO caps that will go in my Squier Tele Custom and I think they cost me 9 bucks for both so it's not like I'm talking about spending a ton of money here. That's not even enough for a 12-pack.

Different strokes for different folks.

Anyway, @Zero I hope you don't leave just yet. I honestly think people were just trying to help. Some of us just do it in strange ways. Don't take it too personally.

5. bobalu

bobalu New Member

What is PIO?

6. Zero

Zero New Member

Paper in oil. It was a way to produce capacitors cheap and still store the energy needed to intrude an electrostatic field this making it a relevant component in your circuit.

7. JVJunky

JVJunky New Member

I have a new 'Inspired by Gibson Les Paul Classic and it definitely has the mini 4 way plugs.

8. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

As long as the pots are CTS I don't begrudge the molex fittings. Probably gives them a lower gooch rate.

Full disclosure: I've been using a similar fitting for the output on the pickguard mounted projects. Makes modding / servicing the electronics a lot easier and allows for rapid loaded pickguard swaps. Works great.

JVJunky likes this.