Anybody ever swap 700t/650r's INTO a guitar?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Cam.man67, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Cam.man67

Cam.man67 Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge fan of 700t/650r sets, but it Seems like as many people that get rid of these, there's got to be guitars that they repurpose really well into.

That being said, I've found they sound a lot better in set-neck guitars than bolt-ons. I put a set into a Luna LP copy and even though the guitar played terribly, the pickups transformed it from a muddy, mushy mess to a tight, muscular-sounding guitar. Instant stoner sound when paired with whatever fuzz I used at the time!

Any other people reusing these humblest-of-humble Epi pickups with good results?

2. KevinV

KevinV Member

I've never put them into anything, but after spending lots of time with the LP JR Special, I've become quite fond of the 700T. I'm in no hurry to pull it out now.

3. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Member

I've never installed them in anything either, and I doubt that I would... but only because I can buy Epiphone guitars with them in place for $100 or less. I own 4 Epiphones with these ceramic pickups, and they are rapidly becoming my favorites. I also like the P90's. I was very skeptical at first, because I was convinced that these inexpensive ceramics just had to be junk. Well, I have since seen the light. These humbuckers have a sound all their own, and I can't stop playing them!

4. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

I donated a set to someone on one of the boards, so at least one person has put them INTO a guitar. But not me.

5. SpareRibs

SpareRibs Member

Hello,
    If you go to the T60 Mafia site you can see some modifications I have made to them. It adds clarity and eliminates eddy currents. The system says the files are to large to upload on this site.
    To gain access to the T60 Mafia site you have to go to, (samuelbarker. net / T60 mafia forum).
    Under ceramic pickups. The modifications really bring them alive.
    I would do further research, but do not have access to any more of the pickups. As stated earlier in the thread they are not much sought after and usually end up in junk drawers. It's a shame as they can be modified to sound great.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  6. Blakk

Blakk Active Member

The 650R and 700T pickups in my '04 Epiphone SG Special sound amazing! Ceramic pickup haters give these pickups a bad rap. It's BS.

theechobox likes this.
  7. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Member

I couldn't agree more!