authenticity parts of a EJ 200/VS

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Edward Medin, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Edward Medin

Edward Medin New Member

Hello guys! thank you for the checking my post, I bought this second hand epiphone EJ 200/VS and as I'm looking trough internet non of the epiphone EJ 200/VS seems to match 100% with the one that I got, since the serial number is ripped off I want to know if all parts of this guitars are legit, even the tunners, this guitar seems to have Schaller's Original G-Series Deluxe gold machines, again, thank you from checking my post, have a awesome new year

Attached Files:

Davis Sharp and Supersonic like this.
  2. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

Looks good to me. When a guitar gets stamped 'USED' or '2ND' they put a new sticker over the old serial number. They do it to protect the original manufacturer from false warranty claims and things like that. Clearly someone tried to remove it on yours. I don't remember seeing a fake EJ-200. They are great guitars. Play the hell out of it. Just my 2 cents.

Davis Sharp and Paruwi like this.
  3. RR-Ramblers

RR-Ramblers Active Member

I've got an Epiphone EJ-200SCE, bought it new. Took me a while to bond with it, only after replacing the saddle and nut with Tusq and putting real bone bridge pins in replacing the cheap plastic stock bridge pins that are horrible in the less that desirable counter sunk bridge pin holes.

Mine has decent Grover tuners and plays pretty sweet.

Looks like your EJ 200/VS was modded and beat around, still a good guitar.

Epiphone ej 200sce hs 2 - Copy.jpg Epiphone ej 200sce nut - Copy.jpg Epiphone ej 200sce sd-bp - Copy.jpg Epiphone ej 200sce sn - Copy.jpg Epiphone ej 200sce f - Copy.jpg

Davis Sharp likes this.
  4. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

FUN FACT: They don't call it EJ-200SCE anymore. It's called J-200 EC Studio now.

https://www.epiphone.com/Guitars/Super-Jumbo?division=Epiphone

I tried to like them for the longest time but the cutaway was a deal breaker for me. I want the new IBG one.

5. RR-Ramblers

RR-Ramblers Active Member

As far as acoustic guitars with electronics go the EJ-200SCE is a decent guitar. My friend has a nice Taylor that really plays well that I really like. The finish on my black EJ-200SCE is that thick gloss finish that perhaps does not give the tonal quality that the wood finishes on fine acoustic guitars have. The neck plays similar to an electric guitar which I like and at the end of the day she plays and sounds very nice; sweet, bright and clear. I don't use the cutaway a lot but do use it at times.

I buy / sell / build / repair guitars and took a flyer on a "The Loar" guitar recently, two of them actually. The first one was The Loar LH301-TVS, a Gibson ES-125 knock off with a single P90. That one played pretty nice, slim neck on a gloss finished beautiful thin line archtop guitar but at the end of the day the tonal range was fairly limited. Then I saw a "The Loar" LH 279 VBM, which is a 2 P90 with a 3-way switch and a fuller 3&1/2" body; a Gibson ES-150 knock off. The Gibson ES-150's as far as my research tells me only ever had 1 P90, but this Loar 279 is pretty nice for the $$. Much better tonal range, incredible vintage sound, I really like her though I did have to do some fret leveling and may tweak the bridge. She has a vintage "V" shaped neck that is rather chunky. Has a soft matte satin finish that is a plus. Nice Kluson tuners on both. Not thinking the LH 279 VBM is available any more, now the The Loar LH-319 archtop seems to have replaced it. I put the LH301-TVS back on the market.

In a round about way 'The Loar" has some Epiphone ties as they are a shameless reproduction of vintage Gibson guitars and mandolins of the 1920's '30's & '40's. "The Loar" script is taken from the "Gibson" script of that era.

LH_279_VSM_6__23140.1459964636.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021