Blast from the past...

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by RR-Ramblers, Nov 25, 2020.

1. RR-Ramblers

RR-Ramblers Member

1973 Epiphone EA-250 Riviera MIJ

We wouldn't be here if we didn't love Epiphones and I'm a pretty big offender.

Made an impulse buy on a 1973 Epiphone EA-250 Riviera that was completely in parts. Taking the chance required putting it back together and hoping for a playable guitar and not a nice antique to hang on the wall. I did my research on the EA-250 Riviera and people selling on eBay make more money selling a guitar in parts than the whole guitar in one piece, not that I have ever done that...

Everything checked out and I knew it would take some work as it had the top separated from the sides around the neck pocket for the bolt on neck, uncommon for most archtops but a feature of this 1970's mid range model. All the parts were there except the bridge, pickguard and pot knobs. I've bought restoration projects before that I wished I hadn't but this guitar looked to be in primo shape for a slightly damaged 47 year old guitar. Maxon humbucker pickups and even the original wiring harness in one long string - 3-way switch, 2 volume, 2 tone pots & jack all wired firm with the old style braided grounding wire, with the pots, jack & switch pretty corroded outside.

Won't bore you with all the laborious details but I did get her up and running after gluing the top back on and using "Gluboost" and red pigment to repair the chipped finish in the neck pocket cutaways. Had to shim the neck also and fix a 20" hairline crack on the side by the binding, plus fabricate a pickguard. I knew the pickups had to be good and crossed my fingers on the wiring harness + contact cleaner might work, and they did. And here she is "Ruby" as my wife calls her. For an old gal this guitar plays nice and the most incredible tone from those old humbuckers.

s-l1600 (1).jpg Riviera EA-250 c.jpg Riviera EA-250 d.jpg 2020-11-25 12-37-39.jpg 20201125_121254.jpg 20201125_121319.jpg 20201125_121332.jpg 20201125_121405.jpg 20201125_121750.jpg 20201125_123858.jpg

2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Fantastic work. She's gorgeous.

What case is that? I'm looking for one to fit an ES-135 (a restoration project). It has an elongated headstock and your case seems to have the right dimensions.

3. RR-Ramblers

RR-Ramblers Member

Hi Dave,

The case is one I bought from a shop when I purchased my '99 MIK 335 Dot. I've been looking for another, here are 2-3 I am thinking about:

Solo 335 Style Hardshell Guitar Case, Brown Faux Gatorskin | Solo Guitars (solomusicgear.com)

Think this is what I have in the pic:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Guardian-C...tyle-Hollow-Body-Electric-Guitar/163015283618

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Semi-Hollow-Style-Guitar-Case/352793780940

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    Davis Sharp likes this.
  4. soulman969

soulman969 Well-Known Member

Very nice work! :cheers:

5. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

6. Moe Verde

Moe Verde Member

Nice work, @RR-Ramblers ! How much time did you spend on the project, if you don't mind me asking?

7. RR-Ramblers

RR-Ramblers Member

Hi Moe,
    I bought it at the end of August but have a number of guitars in my shop so did not really start work on it until November. Really the only time consuming part was the repair around the neck pocket. I glued and clamped it in 3 separate sessions (left side/center/right side) using a hockey puck cut in half for firm pliable pressure. Then the real chore was fixing and matching the red finish on both sides of the neck pocket where the finish was chipped off and there was about a 3/8" overhang of the top joining the sides. I also had to dowel fill and then re-drill the holes for the neck screws. Basically with the Gluboost it took layers of building up to fill the area, then sanding it down, refilling, sanding a number of times, then buffing and polishing, After that it was just shimming the neck and installing the pickups and wiring.

So to answer your question - actual work time was about 15-20 hours spread over about 3 weeks in about 8 sessions.

Robbie

8. Cozmik Cowboy

Cozmik Cowboy Well-Known Member

Back in '79, when I'd just started playing, a friend left town for a good long while, leaving behind a non-functioning EA-250; I took it the local shop, who were able to fix it for $5, and it became "my" first guitar (until he returned & reclaimed it). That neck is why I love Epiphones.
    Thank you for resurrecting this one! Enjoy.

John likes this.
  9. John

John Well-Known Member

I hope you still have visitation rights if it is still around..:)

10. Cozmik Cowboy

Cozmik Cowboy Well-Known Member

Alas, have seen neither friend nor ax in over 40 years........

11. John

John Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that.