Botched ABR retro-fit, need advice please

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Space1999, Jun 16, 2021.

1. grinwer

grinwer Active Member

layered maple = plywood,
    there is a block inside (probably maple). If it's not big, it could crack. Or dry out.
    Maple, like toothpicks…? Okay, whatever you want.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    Zero likes this.
  2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Or... use a Vibramate on those B5s.

Zero likes this.
  3. vomer

vomer Well-Known Member

Semantically, yes, the layers of maple in a 335 style guitar are 'ply', but woodworkers (I'm not one) do make the distinction between 'plywood' (cheap, crap) and 'laminate' which can have serious uses such as marine ply for boats, or our maple laminate guitars.

Supersonic likes this.
  4. Kostas Kritsilas

Kostas Kritsilas Member

In my book, it is solid wood (self explanitory), it has layers running in different directions glued together (plywood or laminate, but it is the same thing, the name describes it pretty well), or wood dust/shavings bound by glue (MDF, or particle/wafer board).

Laminate is used to try and pursuade people that they are getting something better than plywood. The term plywood defines it pretty well: plies (layers) of wood. You can have cheap plywood (as in the hardware store spruce plywood), good plywood (as in baltic birch plywood), or expensive plywood (as in layers of a hardwood, as in maple in this case). Calling it laminate is just a little bit of slight of hand to try and justify a higher price, or to try to indicate a higher level of quality, where there is none. It is all plywood.

5. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

That's what I'm thinking for the LPJ.
    Someone ask me what I play for pleasure, and I answered "ukulele."

6. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

About the 'plywood' thing... I was randomly reading something today about the best archtop hollow bodies ever and it linked to the wiki page of the L-5.

It made me think of this thread.

Plus it mentions tonewoods! :ohno:

"Several different L-5 hollow-body models have appeared over the years, including the L-5 Signature and the L-5 Studio. The ES-5 was the first three pickup factory guitar model built. The ES-5 was inspired by the L-5, introduced in 1949, later modified as the Gibson ES-5 Switchmaster. Unlike the L-5 which had a solid carved spruce top and solid maple sides and back, the ES-5 body was constructed of pressed laminated wood to prevent feedback, Gibson also felt that the best tonewoods were not necessary in an electric model and pressed laminated wood would produce a more affordable to manufacture model and thus could land in many more players hands than the carved instruments."

7. grinwer

grinwer Active Member

Laminate is usually where the plastic layer is. That's the terminology and ... marketing. )) They say so and so. In this context, I meant layers. Apart from a solid array.

If there are bushings, then there is a block inside. There is no block, hollow - there would be a Trapeze..

and add: dowel or toothpick?
    Scrin-2021-06-20 10 54 30.png

paper?
    Scrin-2021-06-20 11 43 34.png

It might work somehow, but it is technically incorrect.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  8. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Funny ... I'd say if there's an electric where wood has an influence on tone, it is a semi or full hollow guitar.

Supersonic likes this.
  9. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

See if you can get the "short" model for the B5. It "hides" better than the original. Either that, or you can do as I did, and amputate the offending bass side appendage and clean it up from there.

10. Space1999

Space1999 Well-Known Member

OK Repair time.

I de-tuned and pulled the tail-piece off.

Got out the trusty adjustable wrench and popped out the bushings in a flash. No ground wire attached to the control side bushing thankfully.

I looked it over and decided this was most definitely a one toothpick per hole job based on the correction needed.

IMG_1191.jpeg

When the toothpicks were ready it was time to hammer the bushings in.

Rubber mallets are for sissies!

:wow:

IMG_1192.jpeg

Like a glove!

IMG_1194.jpeg

Tuned her to open G reset the neck and intonation, checked the pu heights, installed the Dunlop strap locks, shined her up and Voila! Back in black baby.
    IMG_1197.jpeg

Pat

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  11. imnotcreative

imnotcreative Active Member

are those Graphtech saddles?
    i'd be really carefull with those.. i had a set on my les paul bfg, when installing a Lollar novell 90 in the bridge last week i found out 2 of them were cracked and simply fell out when i wanted to inspect the bridge seeing a slight crack. i ended up putting in the original saddles that came with my bfg.

Raiyn likes this.
  12. Space1999

It is a Resomax bridge, they are owned by Graphtech now. They have Graphtech saddles in them. I have them on all my guitars. Some are from before Graphtech bought Resomax and some from after they were bought.

All are doing well. :)

Pat

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    Zero likes this.
  13. imnotcreative

maybe i had a bad batch. Mine went on fine without a problem, no jamming screws or anything. But after taking the strings off to put the Lollar in the bridge position 2 were cracked underneath where the screw goes in. One had just a slight crack down the centre and one nearly crumbled to pieces underneath the screw.
    Mine were the stringsavers for post 2000 gibson TOM (PS-8501-00). I havent a clue what went wrong

14. Space1999

I have no idea. I have always bought the Resomax bridge with the Graph Tech saddles already installed.

I saw where the new Alex Lifeson Axcess Les Paul has a Graph Tech Ghost Floyd Rose. It is a Floyd Rose with a Ghost preamp and Graph Tech mini saddles.

It should be the best Floyd Rose ever considering no hang ups on the saddles. And it confirms my suspicion that I have stated on this forum before that Epiphone’s may start coming standard with Graph Tech saddles.

Instead of the Resomax bridge, Epiphone has just copied it (with help from Graph Tech I am sure since they now own Resomax) and now installs their brand version of the bridge in their new guitar’s.

Exciting times for Epiphone.

Pat

15. imnotcreative

i might consider giving them another try in the future. At the moment there is no need for them anymore. I bought them because i changed the black bridge on my bfg for a gold one and didn't want to spend €100 on a set of nutfiles to carve the slots. (there are no luthiers anywhere closeby over here, also all physical shops were closed because of lockdown) I ended up putting the saddles from the original black bridge in the gold one

Space1999 likes this.
  16. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Eh, I just use rollers and call it a day. ;)

Biddlin likes this.
  17. nemesis0710

nemesis0710 New Member

Had exactly the same problem with my Harley Benton SG

Space1999 likes this.
  18. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

445BD7B5-26F3-4AF0-A1CF-97DE51FA47A6.jpeg

Love the string savers!!

19. Space1999

Zero likes this.
  20. Space1999

Hi nemisis0710! Glad that you posted. Your from Austria! How cool.

Of course we are going to need pictures of that Harley Benton SG. Oh yeah.

Pat

nemesis0710 likes this.