Century 1966 loud stage hum

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Curt Borders, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Curt Borders

Curt Borders New Member

My 8 month old Epiphone Century plays an sounds great and I can get some cool tones from it.
    But I have a problem with a loud 60 cycle hum on stage. I am standing about 20 foot from a wireless mike receiver rack. In the exact same spot with the same pedals my Epiphone Dot335 and Gibson Les Paul Studio are dead quite (no hum).
    I have also noticed that there is a spot in my studio that does the same thing on the Century if I stand there, but no other guitar is affected.
    Are there any filter circuits I can add, or possibly a defective or ungrounded P90? It is all original wiring and pickup.
    I bought the guitar at Guitar Center and they are no authorized Epiphone dealers (who knew?) so GC will not help with out a but charge.

2. mmn

mmn Member

Same cord? Florescent lights? Does the hum change if you move around? Otherwise, all I can see is it is a P90 vs humbuckers in the other two.

3. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Welcome to Epi-Talk.
    I've only read of dummy coils with Strat pickups. Someone else may have experience with this.

4. Walker

Walker Active Member

Welcome to the world of P90s. Roll the volume off when not playing or ignore it. They do do that, But, They sound great.

5. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Thinking out loud - Could you mod the guitar to fit a Duncan P90 (P94?) rail? I would think that it would not hum on the P90 only setting, but I honestly don't know.

[​IMG]

6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

It's humbucker sized. He could retrofit one of the other guitars, but that's not a straight conversion in a P90 axe. You'd also need additional switching to get the full potential out of it. It's constructed in a manner similar to a coil splitable humbucker only you're marrying a Strat-like rail single and a P90ish single coil instead of two basically identical bobbins.

What might work out better is a stacked P90.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  7. Curt Borders

Curt Borders New Member

I have been using the volume pedal to do this as I suspected it was the P90, it bothers the sound team more than it does me. Thanks

8. Walker

Walker Active Member

They work for you, So, They have to deal with it. Enjoy your P90 guitar. You could use a noise gate, But, I didn't like the one I tried.