Cool Rock Photos???

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by NoBucks, Apr 30, 2018.

1. NoBucks

NoBucks Well-Known Member

When I saw Frampton last week, I commented to my wife, "I'm not used to being this far away!" The Sanford Events Center is a small arena, but, still, it was frustrating to not be able to to details on what was going on. Plus, Frampton isn't using a Jumbotron this tour, I believe on account of what happened in Minnesota in a recent tour with the camera crew.

Anyway, I'd be interested in seeing what you have as far as great concert pics, that YOU took...

I'll hold off on mine, not that they're amazing, but, I'm not posting to brag, just curious to see yours...

Okay, I'll post one...Dave Grohl, taking a break during the drum solo. We were front row, my favorite concert experience, so far...I love this pic...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    vomer likes this.
  2. NoBucks

Really? No one?

Dokken, 1984, George Lynch on the right...

upload_2018-5-3_15-25-7.png

Dokken, George Lynch and Jeff Pilson...

dokken02.jpg

And, 30+ years later...George, Don, and Jeff...

dokken03.jpg

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    BlackSG91 and vomer like this.
  3. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Sorry. Still cameras are one thing, but these days every assclown in the audience is holding up a phone.

<rant>
    You wanna record the show? Fine! Hold the camera directly in front of your own face! Also, LEARN HOW TO USE YOUR GAFUNKEN CAMERA!

Having the camera light on, backlighting the people in front of you, is NOT helping you get better video! All it does is piss off the people around you! I was at a club show a few months ago and some clueless nitwit was doing this crap. The people in front turned around and looked at the idiot and after a few minutes I'd had enough so I whipped out my much more powerful flashlight and briefly washed out the screen from behind - didn't even phase the dingdong. So I stepped up behind the individual leaned over and growled "Take a ******** hint".
    The phone dropped instantly, and never went back up.
    I got a few thank you's and metal horns for that one.

Bottom line, know how to use your equipment, and if you must shoot video, hold the phone in front of your face not someone elses. They paid to see the show on the stage, not watch it through your ******* screen.

The ONE time I recorded a song at a show I was in the back of the venue with nobody behind me.
    </rant>

Sorry man, had to get that off my chest.

wildeman likes this.
  4. wildeman

wildeman Well-Known Member

I agree, and most concerts are professionally recorded nowadays so your crappy cellphone vid is extra worthless.

Raiyn likes this.
  5. DaveInSoCal

DaveInSoCal Well-Known Member

anvil.jpg
    Anvil!!

Butcher1.jpg

Butcher2.jpg
    Butcher Babies!!

vomer, NoBucks and Raiyn like this.
  6. vomer

vomer Well-Known Member

I must be old fashioned, but I still think 5 string basses look odd :naughty:.

7. vomer

vomer Well-Known Member

In 1986 I went to London to see The Church over three nights at the Marquee. I'd been walking around town with my camera but had expected to leave it at my mate's and not take any gig photos, so I only had the standard lens on it. I only took a couple of shots which looked tiny given the standard lens; no flash and 400 ISO black and white film as I was doing my own developing back then.

I blew this one up in the darkroom and love it, the blur of the movement and the grainy dissociative effect. Feels like I caught him blissing out at a particularly psychedelic moment. It's Marty Willson Piper, one of the two guitarists. The guitar he's playing is a Shergold Masquerader 12 string.

[​IMG]

8. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Like there's a string.....missing.
    [​IMG]

Davis Sharp likes this.
  9. vomer

vomer Well-Known Member

Now that's just mean :D.

I'm not giving you a 'like' for that post because there are no breasts in it.

Digger, BlackSG91 and NoBucks like this.
  10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

How about a picture of a witch hat?
    cikita.jpg

DaveInSoCal and John like this.
  11. NoBucks

What's odd is that you don't like 5-string basses... ;)

12. John

John Well-Known Member

We all GAS one way or the other.

NoBucks and vomer like this.
  13. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

"I'll stop looking when they close the lid. "
    -My great grandfather.

Digger, NoBucks and vomer like this.
  14. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

You don't like the Fender VI?

I had an opportunity to screw around with a Squier version and it felt pretty natural to me.

NoBucks and vomer like this.
  15. vomer

vomer Well-Known Member

All I can see in that picture is a bass with 5 strings :shock:. Very off-putting :D.

Never tried one, and you don't hear them much, as far as I'm aware. Great to see that Glenn Campbell clip. I nearly bought a Danelectro Baritone once, and probably will one day. I know they are different, but yes I might try a Squier VI if I come across one, for some atmospheric instrumental recording.

NoBucks likes this.
  16. NoBucks

Just out of curiosity, do you play bass? And, by that, I don't mean, "Do you play guitar, but I play bass when your band needs a bass player..." ? ;)

And, just to keep things on topic, I took this at the Megadeth concert, Badlands in 2016, Sioux Falls, an old-school 5-string bass player - David Ellefson, bass player from Megadeth, playing a 5-string for 30 years...

upload_2018-5-8_18-21-24.png

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  17. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I was amused with the fact it was an E to e tuning with light (for a bass) strings. Like I said, it felt natural in a strange way.

NoBucks likes this.
  18. vomer

vomer Well-Known Member

Actually no, I'm not a great bass player. I always felt it was a different skill to guitar, one I never acquired. (Not that I've much skill on guitar, either.) I do have a couple of basses in the house which belong to the mrs, a Squier Bronco which is cheap and cheerful, and a very nice acoustic Michael Kelly which I've pimped with bone nut and saddle, and brass bridge pins with abalone inserts by Pinz. I sometimes have a bit of a play.

But in all seriousness, it really doesn't bother me how many strings a bass has. It was just a "what's the first thing you notice in this picture" moment :D.

NoBucks and Digger like this.
  19. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

That’s a relief, it’s a bit hard to find “normal” people these days~

vomer and NoBucks like this.
  20. NoBucks

Here're a couple of pics of the Ron Keel Band from the 2018 Porkpalooza in Sioux Falls last night.

An Epiphone figured prominently in one of the songs.

A white Gibson EDS-1275 and a red Epiphone G-1275
    porkpalooza2018-01.jpg

Ron Keel
    porkpalooza2018-02.jpg

Ron Keel again.
    Being tall has its advantages - you can get stage-level shots without a selfie-stick...
    porkpalooza2018-03.jpg

Davis Sharp likes this.