CoVid-19 Thread.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Digger, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Lancpudn

Lancpudn Well-Known Member

I've been following your C-19 news here mate, Hope they can contain it. Just seen more restrictions for our area as the confirmed cases are going higher :frown: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-53632102

Digger likes this.
  2. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Just read a story about the largest school district in the state of Georgia, due to fully open next week, reporting ~260 employees testing positive or having been exposed to it. A friend of mine in Cincinnati posted a petition to ban pre-game testing on high school athletes so the kids can get back to a normal life and not have games cancelled if a player or coach tests positive. And there are people who still contend this is no more than a bad flu or even like a cold. Now I don’t think I’m living in fear by wearing a mask or staying the hell away from crowds whenever possible. I’m not afraid I’m going to catch it and die, rather pass it on to the bride or my son and his family, the only people we allow in the house. I just don’t get it.

Lancpudn, Digger and Biddlin like this.
  3. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Denial! It’s too inconvenient for them to accept and adjust to.

Someone will pay the price!

Paruwi and Lancpudn like this.
  4. Moe Verde

Moe Verde New Member

I realize I am jumping in late, now, but as the pandemic is still truly relevant, why not?

TLDR: Late middle-aged dude describes yawn-inducing changes and observations brought about by pandemic.

Aside from a couple of trips in to the office to check on things (facility oversight is part of my job) I've been working from home, where I live with my wife, since the 16th of March. I miss seeing some of my colleagues in person but we're doing our best to BS one another, etc., virtually. My commute has always been a pain in the butt, 50+ miles round trip daily, so I am very appreciative of less wear and tear on my car (I used to put at least $20 of gas a week into the thing; I have spent maybe $100 on gasoline all these months, and that includes a weekend trip to a family vacation home 225 miles away). No doubt the environment has benefited a little bit from my dramatically lessened reliance on an internal combustion engine.

The commute could be stressful, too, and I always had a feeling of, "What a waste of precious time!" I appreciate being unburdened in that way.

I am getting a little more sleep, and am overall more relaxed than I was when I was commuting. Rolling out of bed and getting some exercise, some meditation in, washing up, tossing on some comfy clothes, and firing up the laptop for work, has become something I have embraced. Laidback lunches, too.

My wife and I are on the "highly observant and compliant" end of the spectrum vis a vis taking the pandemic seriously. We mask up when we go inside anyplace, and were doing it in the early days before it was required here in Michigan. Only one other person has entered our home during all this time, and that was our youngest son, who came from out of state to visit. We wore masks when we hugged him, and when all three of us were in the house together.

We've had friends over, another couple we regularly socialized with. The four of us hang out in our backyard and have a few drinks, spread out in folding chairs, etc. Last night we took the big step of ordering pizza for the four of us!

I haven't eaten at a restaurant all this time, but I have picked up carry out. Not dining out has been one of the biggest hits to our pre-covid lifestyle.

I have read more books than I did a year ago, even though I am a pretty dedicated reader. I've played guitar more. Painted more than I normally would have by now. Maybe it has something to do with that non-existent commute.

I have one surviving sibling. He and I have spoken on FaceTime damn near every day since this craziness descended. We weren't doing that prior.

I am very grateful that my wife and I see eye to eye on this situation (and on most situations!). The past six months have underscored how important that relationship is to me. Similarly, my brother and I: I am glad we aren't at odds over #fakepandemic or anything like that.

I am more politically active than I was four years ago.

Overall, I have tried to look at each day from the standpoint of, what do these changes offer me, versus, how do these changes limit me. But I do feel limitations, for sure. No jamming with my band buddies! That really sucks. The ease of just deciding to go down into Detroit and visit the weekend markets, I miss that. Record store visits. Seeing our son and feeling limited, that was no fun. Everyday, there is some reminder that the world has gotten a little smaller and more restrictive, physically. It can be difficult standing up to those feelings.

Then there's the contemplation of similar circumstances when the weather changes and being out in the yard isn't a comfortable option. When walks and exercise are more like an expedition because of the snow and cold. I don't look forward to lockdown and quarantine during November through April. Nothing about the way this situation is going makes me confident we will be spared that, either. Right now, I almost feel like I am in training for an athletic event: get as healthy as I can be, in body and mind, for the winter!

Additionally we purchased a backup coffeemaker and coffee grinder because we would completely lose our marbles if we were attempting this sans coffee!

I hope you're all healthy and happy, too.

Raiyn, Lancpudn, Paruwi and 3 others like this.
  5. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

We are officially in lockdown for the next 6 weeks!

When we come out of it we will be in spring and thats something to be looked forward to.

Our restrictions aren’t so draconian as our city counterparts and we are lucky to have plenty of space and things to do.

We count ourselves very fortunate by comparison to others in fact.

Paruwi likes this.
  6. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Amazing. There would be riots here if everything was shut down for another six weeks. And you’re not in a populated area iirc. But what’s good for the goose is good for the gander. I just wish we were as open to, oh, I don’t know, facts???

Davis Sharp likes this.
  7. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I think our society is a little different from yours Greg, we aren’t as suspicious of our governments motives here as it seem a lot of US citizen's are. There are many that will be unhappy about these additional closures but I cant see it reaching a state of open defiance here....yet. There will be exceptions of course!

By and large most would see both state and federal governments are doing all they can in a very difficult situation. There have certainly been mistakes made and at some point there will need to be a reckoning, but for now all that maters is regaining control.

Paruwi likes this.
  8. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

That’s the understatement of the year! At least so far! It’s becoming more and more difficult to fathom what’s going on here in the land of the free, home of the wanker.

Paruwi likes this.
  9. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

This hits a lot of the same notes for me.
    If you had our current government, wouldn't you be?

Biddlin, Moe Verde and Paruwi like this.
  10. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I hesitate to seem critical of things to do with other countries, though hasten to add that what happens there ultimately affects us too.

Lancpudn and Paruwi like this.
  11. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Pile on! Besides, it’s beneficial to hear the global take on things.

12. macoshark

macoshark New Member

If- everyone in the USA stayed home for 2 weeks we'd be good. Till someone came with from somewhere else with covid

Raiyn likes this.
  13. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

No I won’t be doing that sorry, as whilst I have my private thoughts and you mightn’t be offended, somebody else will be. It’s not good though!

Lancpudn, Davis Sharp and Paruwi like this.
  14. Lancpudn

Another Lancashire city Preston north on me has just seen even more lockdown restrictions applied because of spikes in new cases of young people, "Adrian Phillips, chief executive of Preston City Council, said it was "alarming to see that the under-30s are contracting it at a significant rate".:shock:

15. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

We had a bloke 30 die from it yesterday.

16. Lancpudn

17. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

We’ve been quarantining returnees for 14 days right from the start but many errors have made that effort useless.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  18. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

The saddest thing are the people who have to pay for someone else's stupidity.

Lancpudn likes this.
  19. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I foresee quite a bit of legal action brewing when (and if) this is all over.

20. Lancpudn