CoVid-19 Thread.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Digger, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

There was an attempted anti lockdown in Melbourne yesterday but it was closed off so tightly there were only a couple of hundred made it. It still got violent and a number of police were injured and that shouldn't have happened. It looks like the same “Rent a Crowd” mob that attend other protests.

Charles, Lancpudn and Paruwi like this.
  2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

When I first glanced this headline, I figured it was going to be another Florida Man story.

Turns out I was wrong:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...atally-shot-by-anti-masker-police/ar-AAOFCjv?
    A 20-year-old gas station cashier was fatally shot in Germany Saturday after telling a customer to put on a face covering, according to the Trier Police Department.

A 49-year-old man was taken into custody on suspicion of murder after the shooting in the town of Idar-Oberstein, in Rhineland-Palatinate.

The customer entered the gas station around 7:45 p.m. local time and got into an argument with the cashier, who asked him to mask up, police said in a press release. Germany currently has a requirement to wear masks in stores.

[​IMG]© Flowers are placed in front of a gas station in Idar-Oberstein, Germany, Sept. 21, 2021.

The suspect left the gas station but returned at 9:25 p.m., this time with a face covering on. But this time when he got to the checkout, police said he pulled down the mask, and after a short exchange of words, pulled out a gun and fatally shot the cashier, who police described as a student.

[​IMG]©
    The suspect then fled on foot after opening fire, police said.

Using surveillance footage, police launched a manhunt for the suspect. He appeared at the Idar-Oberstein police station Sunday around 8:40 a.m., accompanied by a woman, where he was arrested, officials said.

Investigators found the alleged murder weapon as well as other firearms and ammunition during a search of the suspect's apartment, according to police. They said it's not clear where he got the weapons.

Police and public prosecutors said in a press release that the suspect “acted out of anger about the rejection” during his first visit to the gas station and the cashier's request to mask up.

"He stated in his interrogation that he rejected the coronavirus protective measures," police said.

[​IMG]© Police officers secure a gas station in Idar-Oberstein, Germany, Sept. 19, 2021.

Authorities haven't named the suspect or the victim.

Idar-Oberstein Mayor Frank Frühauf slammed the attack as a "quite inconceivable, terrible act," adding, "Such a crime is unprecedented. It will take time to come to terms with it," German outlet DW News reported.

Annalena Baerbock, the center-left Green Party's candidate for chancellor in the country's federal election slated for Sunday, tweeted, “I’m shaken by this terrible murder of a young man who merely asked that existing rules be followed."

The incident has raised debate in the country over the radicalization of Querdenker, Germany's anti-COVID-19 lockdown protest movement, where followers have become increasingly vocal online and off about their refusal to comply with public health mandates and their relationship to conspiracy theories.

"I am greatly concerned about the radicalization of the Querdenker. We are all challenged to stand against the growing hatred," Baerbock added.

Germany's COVID restrictions have triggered repeated protests from anti-mask demonstrators throughout the pandemic. Just last month 600 protesters were detained by police after thousands protested the COVID-19 measures and a ban on gatherings in early August in Berlin, the Associated Press reported.

There have been 4.1 million cases of COVID-19 and over 93,000 deaths related to the virus in the country, according to Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center data.​

3. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker

Sadly we have some real Covidiots over here, too

4. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Yes a terrible thing! Let me just say we’ve got them here in numbers as well!

For the last few days there have been violent riots in Melbourne to do with a government directive that all construction workers need to have at least one jab before working. This has been bought about because a number of infections have been moving with them to job sites and taken from the cities to country areas.

They are violent! Many police have been hospitalised with serious injuries including broken bones. As a result the premier has closed down all construction for at least 2 weeks or until they comply with the vax requirement. The protests/riots appear to be a daily occurrence. Our police shouldn’t have to risk injury like this, just doing their jobs!

The union leaders are all supporting the vax requirement and claim that the rioters aren’t in the main their members, but are trouble makers from other extreme organisations.

I never thought I’d see things like this in the normally peaceful country.

Paruwi likes this.
  5. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Global madness is spreading, madness I say!

6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Well.... for a dose of lighter insanity, how about this?
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-pacific-58638752
    New Zealand Covid: Men caught smuggling KFC into lockdown-hit Auckland
    Published
    1 day ago
    [​IMG]IMAGE SOURCE,NEW ZEALAND POLICE
    image caption: The food seized by officers in the stop.

NZ police have made a bizarre arrest after a pair of alleged gang associates were caught trying to enter Auckland with a boot full of KFC chicken and tens of thousands of dollars.

The men were charged with breaching the country's tough Covid-19 rules.

Under Auckland's strict Level 4 lockdown, all restaurants, including take-away services, remain closed.

Police said the men, aged 23 and 30, had travelled from Hamilton, about 75 miles south of Auckland.

A police spokesperson told the BBC that officers made the arrest after they noticed a suspicious looking vehicle travelling on a gravel road on the outskirts of the city.

"Upon seeing the police car, the vehicle did a u-turn and sped off trying to evade police," they said. "The vehicle was searched and police located the cash, alongside empty ounce bags and a large amount of takeaways."

Police photos showed at least three buckets of chicken, about 10 cups of coleslaw, a large package of fries, and four large bags containing other KFC items.

They also seized NZ$100,000 (US$70,000; £51,000) in cash.

It is unclear whether the men intended to sell the food or if they hoped to use it as a distraction if they were to be pulled over.

[​IMG]IMAGE SOURCE,NEW ZEALAND POLICE
    image caption: NZ$100,000 seized by police officers.
    The spokesperson said that the men would appear in court later in the year for breaching public health rules but added that further charges are also likely. The investigation is ongoing.

The pair's risky late night food run means they now face heavy punishments under New Zealand's tough anti-Covid laws. Fines can reach up to NZ$4,000 and some offenders can even face prison sentences of up to six months.

The men are not the first New Zealanders whose fast-food cravings have landed them in trouble with authorities. Last week a 20-year-old man was charged after he posted a video on Tiktok showing him leaving Auckland and purchasing a large amount of food from McDonalds.

Auckland will move to a Level 3 lockdown from midnight on Tuesday. However, freedoms will still be severely limited, with residents confined to their homes unless they are attending school, work or shopping.

The rest of the country remains at a Level 2 lockdown with shops, restaurants, bars and nightclubs all open.
    A pair of dumb mothercluckers.

7. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

@Raiyn, I saw that! That’s a lot of trouble to get in over some KFC!

8. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a South Park episode.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1629114/
    [​IMG]
    South Park (TV Series)
    Medicinal Fried Chicken (2010)
    Summaries
    • Randy deliberately gets testicular cancer so that he can receive a medicinal marijuana prescription, while Cartman becomes a black market KFC dealer when all of the restaurants are shut down for being unhealthy.

9. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

A friend of mine got stuck in Paris for for months before he could get back to the USA. The locals were allowed to get food from a nearby café. He wanted a Jumbo Jack and fries more than anything. I'm supposed to be having a surgical procedure that is endlessly rescheduled due to lack of hospital staff and beds. I'm gonna be very unhappy if I die over this. I believe that we are prioritizing this back-asswards. Let the unvaccinated wait until all the regular procedures are done and then take a number for care. Sorry, but I just don't care what happens to the dumbasses.

Davis Sharp likes this.
  10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, so will I, my friend. Who knew it'd be a little thing like a global pandemic to get us more or less on the same page? :naughty:
    :cheers:

Biddlin likes this.
  11. John

John Well-Known Member

Man, this is so sad.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

I live in a little town of about 3500 people and the covid has gotten so bad here that the hospital is pushing people away. It is full.
    My second oldest daughter has it now and she is really sick. She told me when she coughs it feels like somebody rapidly pulled on a full sheet of velcro. Her mother also has it. This shit really needs to go away.

13. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I tried typing out a comment for this, but I just don't have it in me today.

'I don't have COVID': Doctor says some COVID patients deny virus, decry vaccines from their deathbed
    Gabriela Miranda, USA TODAY 22 hrs ago

A Michigan doctor says some COVID-19 patients continue to deny their diagnosis or denounce vaccines from their deathbeds

Matthew Trunsky, a pulmonologist and director of the palliative care unit at a Beaumont Health hospital in southeastern Michigan, has gained national attention after recounting what some patents gravelly ill with coronavirus have told him.

[​IMG]© Kyle Green, AP Images Medical professionals pronate a 39-year-old unvaccinated COVID-19 patient in the medical intensive care unit at St. Luke's Boise Medical Center in Boise, Idaho.

"You’re wrong doctor. I don't have COVID" and "I'd rather die than take the vaccine" were among the eight examples he shared in a Facebook post earlier in September.

Trunsky told The Washington Post medical staff have at times been berated by patients and their family members. He said over 100 of his patients have died from the coronavirus and 9 out of 10 COVID patients are unvaccinated.

As of Saturday, about 55.2% of Americans are fully vaccinated. Over 672,000 have died due to COVID-19 related complications, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The CDC released a study in September that found unvaccinated people who get COVID are 10 times more likely to be hospitalized and 11 times more likely to die.

Despite his frustrations, Trunsky said he remains dedicated to giving all his patients, unvaccinated or not, the same level of care.

“We took the oath, we take all comers. I think deep down that’s the reason most of us went into medicine — to take care of patients. And it doesn't really matter who they are and what decisions they make," Trunsky told Bridge Michigan.

Dr. Kristin Jacob, director of the wellness program at Grand Rapids-based Spectrum Health, told Bridge it's normal for doctors to feel frustrated with patients not taking advantage of a vaccine "that can help end the pandemic."

"There's a natural inclination to feel defensive and really continue to worsen that compassion fatigue. That's hard to talk about. No one wants to admit that," Jacob told Bridge.

In his plea for more people to get vaccinated, Trunsky shared that his experience with eight patients. Six out of the eight died, the other two remain in critical condition, he told The Post.

"Numbers are on the rise. Get the vaccine," Trunsky said in his post.​

14. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Any updates, John?

15. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Oh no! That’s terrible mate, so sorry. I wish them a full recovery.

16. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Maybe doctors can tell them it's "American Lung Disease Virus" and that there's a vaccine for it.

17. Charles

Charles Member

18. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

We are just about to reach 80% of all over 16 having had at least one shot! We are at 50% that have had both. Press pushing the story of blood clots in younger people having AstraZeneca destroyed confidence in it for the public and that left a big deficit in supplies, hence the reason we are slow to reach targets. In reality the chances of blood clots were very low and doctors once aware of it have had a high rate of successful treatment.

This morning the news has an article about people over 70 with underlying health conditions still dying if they get Covid. Nobody is talking about which conditions are the problem but I think diabetes and asthma are the culprits.
    There hasn’t been a decision on a third jab for people like me but perhaps I’m living in a fool’s paradise thinking I’m OK?

Meanwhile a couple of towns away they have just implemented lockdown due to an outbreak from families that illegally had parties for the footy grand final. So far we remain infection free in this area but there are people coming here from locked down areas (Melbourne) according to traders in town so it’s a matter of time! I think they should be gaoled not just fined.

Raiyn, Charles and Paruwi like this.
  19. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Friends of mine - albeit slightly older than me - have received their boosters of Pfizer already. As I understand it, the efficacy of the Pfizer isn’t as robust as Moderna. I will set up appointments for me and the bride as soon as we are eligible, and we’re getting our flu shots this week.

Davis Sharp likes this.