CoVid-19 Thread.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Digger, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Well, when a decision is made on Moderna boosters I'll be in line for it as soon as my group comes up.

I'm getting my first flu shot in 20+ years on Friday.
    As I've almost certainly mentioned, I don't usually get that sick with the flu, but it seems a bit hypocritical to advocate one vaccine while poo pooing another.

2. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Never experienced that side effect. :rofl:

Digger likes this.
  3. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Our infection number in my home state Victoria increased 50% overnight! People aren’t complying with no contact restrictions and illegal home parties for the AFL football grand finals are being blamed for the sudden rise.

Victoria has been subjected to the longest periods of lockdown in the world and people are just over it! I understand their frustration but where an individual action can bring misery and death to so many, I don’t condone it.

Law & order seem to be breaking down here in an otherwise law abiding community.

4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Sounds about right. People do the same thing here for the Super Bowl so I'm not surprised.

5. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Yesterday the state government mandated shots for most occupations. No shot, no job!
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10...orkers-mandatory-vaccination-onsite/100506980

The good thing is that we should reach vaccination targets quicker and free the place up a bit.

Supermarkets here are struggling with staffing due to so many of their workers being plunged into quarantine through exposure at work. A number have closed whilst many, like in other places, have empty shelves.

It’s alright I still need to lose weight~

Paruwi likes this.
  6. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

We’re past 700,000 dead. Happened overnight. And yet people are punching the little girls who greet you at the restaurant for asking them to wear a mask.

Paruwi likes this.
  7. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Melbourne has just surpassed Buenos Aires with the distinction of having been longest under lockdown in the world. It’s about 250 days by now!

However infection numbers have doubled in the last week as we valiantly try to get double vaccinated people pushed through to a point where infections start to slow
    down.

It would be nice to laugh again.

8. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

We got our boosters today, and I doubled down and got a flu shot as well. The bride decided to wait until next week for the flu shot, as she’s not as adventurous as I. However, the NP told us the booster was similar in side effects to the second Pfizer dose. No one that I know has reported more than a sore arm, so I’m cautiously optimistic.

Davis Sharp and Paruwi like this.
  9. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

We are being told here that a 2 week gap between Covid and Flu shots is necessary.

Infection numbers are high here and most places have some cases it seems. On Thursday a lot of restrictions are being eased so like other places I expect numbers to go through the roof.

People are rushing to get inoculated including many of the previously reluctant. They have now seen the effects of the disease. We hope to hit 70% double vaxxed on Thursday. Covid passports (app) will be required to access many things from Thursday. A number of police and other workers refusing vaccination are to lose their jobs as a result unless they comply.

Davis Sharp likes this.
  10. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

You guys got the Astra Zeneca vaccine, right? I asked, and either my pharmacy is ill informed, or with Pfizer anyway, you can get both at once. And so far, so good, not even soreness in the shot area, and we had already started feeling the second shot by this late in the day.

11. Caddy

Caddy Well-Known Member

My wife and I got our Pfizer boosters this past Thursday. BTW, she worked the COVID unit at the hospital from the onset of the virus until this past spring when the dedicated unit was shutdown (was just over a full year). She, or I, ever caught the virus. I’m 74 so it wouldn’t have been a good thing for me.

But with all the testing and precautions the hospital had in place we figured it was safer for her to work there than nearly anywhere else. When I asked her why she had volunteered to work that unit her answer was that someone had to.

I should add that neither of us had any ill effects from any of the three shots we each received. Couldn’t even feel where the injections had been given without rubbing the area with a lot of force.

One of my sons called me in the afternoon on the day I had gotten my first (I had gotten it at 7:30AM) to ask if I had gotten it. I told him that until he called and asked that I had forgotten I had even gotten it.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  12. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Glad that they pulled their heads out of their...

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Caddy, Paruwi and Digger like this.
  13. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Felt a little more achey than normal this morning (things that don’t usually hurt did), but a couple of Tylenol and all is well. I equate the booster to be more like shot 1; you know you got it, but you’re still functional.

Paruwi likes this.
  14. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

We plan on getting our boosters when they make the broader recommendation for the 18-65 year olds. I'd like for us to do it now, but SWMBO is of the opinion that others need it first and I can see her point.

15. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Not sure if boosters are available for me yet and I’ll check with my GP later in the month. I’d like to have it as I am compromised for a number of reasons. We are gradually opening up the country and I expect infections to soar as people are able to get around more. From Friday quite a few restrictions will be lifted and more in November we are aiming for a relatively normal Christmas.

Paruwi likes this.
  16. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Member

I am waiting for the VA to get the boosters in. Just got my flu shot today. I’m 52, but have other medical conditions that move me to the front of the line.

I live in Oregon, and for a couple of months cases were down and we didn’t have to wear masks. The the number of cases went up and now masks are required again everywhere indoors.

My daughter was an antivaxer, then she got sick with the virus, and was miserable for 3 weeks. She got other family members sick. She feels like a fool now.

Caddy, Raiyn and Paruwi like this.
  17. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

We just exceeded the 70% both shots mark here today and should reach 80% sometime in November.

Friday sees major changes to restrictions though some will remain until Christmas and possubly much longer.

3bolt79, Paruwi and Davis Sharp like this.
  18. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

FDA strongly considers authorizing vaccine boosters for people as young as 40
    Laurie McGinley 1 hr ago

Federal regulators are seriously considering authorizing coronavirus vaccine boosters for everyone 40 years old and older, a move that could sharply increase the number of people eligible for the shots, according to two federal officials familiar with the plans.

[​IMG]© Scott Olson/Getty Images Shana Alesi administers a coronavirus booster dose to Marine Corps veteran Bill Fatz at the Edward Hines Jr. VA Hospital on Sept. 24, 2021 in Hines, Illinois.

Action would not occur until next month, after the Food and Drug Administration deals with two big items on its agenda, said the officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the issue.

The FDA is expected Wednesday to authorize a booster shot of the Moderna vaccine for people 65 and older and for people at special risk of covid-19, and an extra shot of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine for people 18 and older. The broader age criteria for Johnson & Johnson reflects lower protection offered by the initial single-shot regimen compared with other coronavirus vaccines. A booster shot of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is already cleared for people 65 and older and for people at higher risk because of medical conditions or exposure on the job.

The other big issue pending at the FDA is authorization of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine for children 5 to 11 years old, which could happen this month or early next month.

Senior federal health officials have been eager to lower the eligibility age for booster shots because of concerns that some middle-aged people are becoming ill with covid-19 despite being fully vaccinated. Israeli data suggests that extra shots can help prevent serious illness among that population.

When the Biden administration in August announced plans to provide boosters, officials said they wanted everyone 18 and older to get the extra shots but ran into resistance from outside advisers and even some of their own vaccine experts. The officials backed off, focusing initially on boosters for people 65 and older and others with medical conditions or other risks.

But last week, in a meeting with the FDA’s outside advisers, Peter Marks, a top vaccine regulator at the agency, raised the possibility of reducing eligibility for boosters to age 40 and above. Several members of the advisory committee expressed support, including Arnold S. Monto, professor of public health and epidemiology at the University of Michigan and chairman of the vaccine advisory committee.

“The concern that I have is that we don’t want to wait until we see some more severe infections in the under 65-year-old general population, because getting this vaccine out takes time and requires extreme logistic efforts,” Monto said.

CNN first reported that the FDA is considering reducing the age to 40 and older for the Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech boosters.

But reducing the age for boosters “is not as urgent” as getting the kids’ vaccines authorized, clearing the Moderna and Johnson & Johnson boosters, and greenlighting the “mixing and matching” of boosters, one of the officials said. That authorization for mixing and matching is expected to come Wednesday, with the FDA saying people can use boosters different from their original vaccines.

People younger than 40 who are at special risk of covid-19 would still be eligible for the Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech boosters.

Well, alrighty then.

19. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Essentially Victoria comes out of the longest lockdown recorded, including Melbourne. There are still many restrictions and the trigger was reaching 70% of the population having both shots. We are at 90% of over 16s with one shot. In November when we reach 80% with both shots things open up even more.

We can have up to 10 visitors a day as long as all are double vaxxed. We can travel within the state but city dwellers aren’t allowed to visit rural areas until the next milestone of 80% is reached.

I expect infections will go nuts for a while but hopefully as more people get vaccinated those numbers will gradually go down. I admit to being a bit nervous about things opening up as I really can’t afford to get this bloody thing even though I’ve had both shots.

3bolt79 and Paruwi like this.
  20. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

You ain't the only one mate.