DIY Guitar build

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by tryagain, Apr 1, 2021.

1. tryagain

tryagain Member

Just curious if anyone has attempted this and how did it go. I wasn't sure where to post this.

2. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

multiple times.
    super easy with a fender style neck/body.
    pretty easy with a diy kit.

And not too bad from scratch. But you'll want/need a few fretting tools etc...

I like to buy my fretboards pre-slotted. So call me a cheater, if you want.

dasherf17 likes this.
  3. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Are you talking a partscaster build, a kit or, from scratch?
    I can do partscasters in my sleep, but when it comes to working with carbohydrate foam I know my limitations. I could probably do a Kit build, sanding and finishing etc., but actually shaping anything, forget it.
    norm-abram-he-aint.jpg

4. grinwer

grinwer Active Member

dasherf17 likes this.
  5. tryagain

tryagain Member

Which DIY kit would you recommend? Stew Mac, Solo Music, etc.

dasherf17 likes this.
  6. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

precision guitar kits. all the other ones will require you to level & crown the frets and do final setup on the nut as well.

Also, Alloy Guitars makes incredible stuff. I've bought fretboards from them super impressive. Very responsive to emails etc.

And... Warmoth. super top notch.

7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

8. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

but on the cheap... the solo stuff is actually really decent.

I've hung out with those guys a couple of different times. Their shop is killer, huge focus on tools, parts and custom builds. And their necks are really decent. As in... the frets will probably need polishing, but not much more.

good quality control across the board.

9. Old Woody

Old Woody Active Member

10. Old Woody

Old Woody Active Member

I'm currently on my second tele style build although I have done 3 tele necks put on tuners and sold for a profit on eBay. A couple of tips buy quality parts especially bridge and nut, tuners ,potentiometers, switch's etc. I have bought 2 necks from Warmoth and both cost me around $179 (this includes shipping which was $22 when I bought them the down side is I had to crown the frets and level them as well as cut the nuts ( I bought bone nuts separate) I used needle files for the frets and nuts and a special wooden fret file from Portugal that worked wonders for leveling the frets. I used to work as an Electronics Bench Tech so soldering is in my skill set but in truth soldering as it pertains to guitars is a pain in the ass my advice is to buy solderless control parts. Here's my take away for what it's worth if you do this you will learn a lot about electric guitars and some parts of it you may love ( I love working on guitar necks who knew?) if you decide to stain the wood be aware that removing that decision requires lots of sanding (I just finished removing my bad stain job on my zebrawood top body) I bought a Fender made in Mexico Telecaster neck from the "Stratosphere" for my current build ($179.00 with shipping) so I'll update what I think of it when I go to attach it and check the frets and feel. It's a labor of love for me as I like the satisfaction of finishing what I start. If you decide to do this I wish you good luck.

11. yelemusic

yelemusic New Member

Wow, have you been living under a rock? The internet is full of DIY people building their own guitars, just go on YouTube, millions of people showcasing their own builds. Building parts casters has become a huge trend among us guitarists! I'm no exception :)
    Would love to build a guitar from scratch though, unfortunately all I have is a kitchen, which only tolerates a minimal amount of dust. So the next best thing is ordering unfinished parts with the desired specs from a reputable manufacturer, who basically does the dirty work for me, and I take it from there. Still great fun, I can't recommend it enough :)

12. dasherf17

dasherf17 Member

(...I build kits and empty carcasses...is that build-cheating?)

Norton likes this.
  13. dasherf17

dasherf17 Member

14. dasherf17

dasherf17 Member

My first 2 were StewMac (LP, SG), #3 was an unknown kit neck, body and pickguard (FV) and the last was a Guitar Kit World (FB). Simple builds, great to prep for and doing the finishing.
    PSX_20200526_1032271.jpg 20200827_164433.jpg PSX_20200924_081926.jpg PSX_20201008_232005.jpg h PSX_20201226_081443.jpg
    Some projects still in progress...
    Another note is that StewMac kits had the bridge and tailpiece holes (as well as all the usual holes, headstock, jack, switch) drilled. The V did not, so I'm a bit apprehensive...on back burner till I get further with other work.
    DEFINITELY use the YouTube videos for teaching...!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  15. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

not cheating in my book! :dude::dude::dude:

16. tryagain

tryagain Member

Wow more common than I first thought! It also looks like it could be a lot of fun making a guitar "exactly" the way you want it.

17. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

It's like next level modding, only you don't have to remove any of the parts you don't want. ;)

18. Bradley D. Lyons

Bradley D. Lyons Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  19. tryagain

tryagain Member