Does Music Help You Through This Crisis?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Digger, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Times are pretty difficult everywhere ATM. We are all feeling the effects of restrictions brought about by this (seemingly) never ending pandemic, lockdowns, exclusions and such. I don’t think anyone here has been unaffected! I know that locally the demand for support has blown off the charts and depression is rampant.

How many of you find solace in your music, both playing and listening? Does it help you and how important is it to you particularly ATM?

I find my selection of what to listen to allows me to influence my mood, whether it’s classical or something I like to sing along with. Singing seems to give me a rush so I do it when I can.

Fortunately my tastes are pretty eclectic, how about you?

Lancpudn and Paruwi like this.
  2. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker

for me it's more relaxing instead of solace
    it is a nice change from the fulltime job
    glad we've re-started band-rehearsal a few weeks ago
    and I hope we'll have a few gigs next year

Lancpudn and Digger like this.
  3. soulman969

soulman969 Well-Known Member

It definitely helps although not having any jams going on or at least not at their previous level and still not having regular get togethers with some of my jam buddies is still disappointing.

We seemed so close and then all of a sudden the Delta variant came along and pushed the most cautious of us back into our previous habit of social separation and masking up.

It's become more than just an annoyance when you know that the primary reason we aren't beyond this pandemic is all of those who refuse the vaccinations and the sources who are creating a distrust for it to begin with.

Even more angering is the knowledge that many who are spreading lies about the vaccines are either foreign troll farms or media personalities who themselves are vaccinated yet nightly they sell and anti-vax pitch.

Why? Money. Greed. A desire to create more chaos to help ratings which is also money and greed driven. There are days when I would like to take everyone of them and inject them with the strongest does of a COVID virus that could be manufactured and put an end to all of them.

As cruel as that may sound it's what they deserve because they are killing people with their BS, lies, and false rhetoric. My solution for coming down off the ledge has been more peaceful relaxation and meditation music and nature sounds. I go to sleep with it playing nearly every night.

Raiyn, Lancpudn, Paruwi and 1 other person like this.
  4. imnotcreative

imnotcreative Active Member

To me personally not too much has changed. Other than social distancing and having to wear a face mask in the supermarket. It has gotten busy at work because some of the vaccine manufacturers are customers of ours. All bars/venues i liked going to have already started closing down since 2010 so well before covid hit us. I do miss going to an occasional show, but i didn't attend those that often so it's not much of a great loss to me.
    Most restrictions have been lifted recently so life has gone back to normal pretty much over here

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    Lancpudn likes this.
  5. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Since I was 14 I’ve been deeply involved in music most days of my live. I remember that I found it hard to study of a night without some music going and lunch times at high school I’d be found in a record shop listening to blues of trad jazz. I remember playing hard rock in the car going to work and arriving all ready to take on the world. In recent years music streaming has made my life even better and apart from bluetooth speakers even my hearing aids stream music from my phone. I can honestly say that I have music playing at least 50% of every day!

I think if I allowed myself to think too much these last couple of years fires, pandemic would have dragged me down but I find it a great mood elevator to get lost in whatever I’m playing at the time. I think at my lowest ebb a loving wife, a small puppy and my music have been the things that have kept me going.

Paruwi likes this.
  6. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

I was a music student in college, and turned that into a classical radio persona with a wicked grin. My early career was on air broadcasting, news, and commercial production, and later turned to graphic design and copywriting.

Digger and Lancpudn like this.
  7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

SWMBO and I would go to about 20 concerts / hockey games etc. a year. The last show we went to was in February 2020... :shock:

Since the pandemic, I've found other things to do with my time, and I fear I've become a bit of a hermit. A fun weekend lately has been immersing myself in a pedal project. Basically a form of copium in which I shut myself off from the world in my clean shop with my noise cancelling headphones and just disappear into the task. It gives SWMBO a quiet day to do whatever.

I'm not taking on much (if any) outside guitar work, but by <insert deity of choice> I'm well stocked for when I decide to emerge.

Digger likes this.
  8. AJ6stringsting

AJ6stringsting Well-Known Member

Music is everything .... We know it .... That what makes it powerfully Human.

That's why we took part in it to become musicians ... To become apart of music.

9. Darkness

Darkness Well-Known Member

My singing gives people a rush... they rush out of earshot.
    :rofl:

Music always has a strong effect on my mood. If I'm hearing some beach tunes or reggae I'm relaxed. If in hearing some classic rock I'm getting things done. If I hear my wife playing musicals (and somehow her phone gets beyond loud for those) I get irritable.

As far as the pandemic, I've been taking the time to be productive. Learning to play guitar, working on my cars, working on my house, spending time with my dog. At the risk of sounding cliche, spending time with my dog has been the best in terms of lifting my spirits.

Digger likes this.