Does your Epi Lucille hum through your amp?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by macsr, Dec 18, 2015.

1. macsr

macsr New Member

Mine sure does. It's not the loud noise associated with a bad ground or switched wires on the input jack, but it does annoy the heck outta me. It's in all three switch positions, every type of cable I can find, on a Marshall AVT20 with no gain and no reverb dialed on, and on a brand new Fender Mustang III v2 in just about every preset. To top it off, if I plug in my Gibson LP Studio, I get no noise, no hum.....no nothing but sweet tone.

Has anybody got an idea? I even sent one back and had a new one sent over. Same thing. No better.

Thanks folks!

2. Juke Box

Juke Box Active Member

That is the 60hz line hum. There is a youtube where a guy stuck in a single coil pickup with the poles removed in between a pickup and ground. The poleless pickup acted as a noise canceller. If you have an old junker pickup off a cheapy Squier or Rondo you could use that as a test. I have never tried it but the theory seemed sound.

3. IGRocker

IGRocker Well-Known Member

Does it go away if you touch your bridge? My LP has an issue with buzzing that isn't affected by touching metal parts. It's only in the neck position though, and on all gain settings. All of my solder joints are clean so I'm stumped at the moment.

4. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Member

I get 60 hz hum a lot on my single coils here and it's not helped by the crappy wiring in my trailer house. I bought a Behringer NR300 (Boss NR-2 clone) noise reducer pedal, tweaked the settings & no more buzz. $24.95 at Amazon.

5. macsr

macsr New Member

Good stuff guys....but I don't understand why this HB equipped guitar hums. And yes, it goes away when I touch the metal parts.

6. wildeman

wildeman Well-Known Member

Are the amps always plugged into the same outlet? Have you taken your rig out and plated it with the same results?

7. RTH

RTH Well-Known Member

That sounds like a bad ground. Another thing that can cause that type of noise is unshielded wire,but I doubt that is the case if everything is stock.

old mark and IGRocker like this.
  8. macsr

macsr New Member

Yeah, I checked the outlet thing by plugging in to almost every outlet in the house, different rooms, upstairs, downstairs, etc. I even made sure all dimmer switches were turned off. No change.
    This past week I did gig with the rig but the room was noisy so I didn't really notice if the hum was there or not. I guess it gets drowned out by the piano and my singing. So I guess I should take the righ to another "quiet" place and check out that possibility. It could be the wiring in my house, I guess. The fact remains that my Gibson LP makes no noise at all. It just makes me think it's a guitar wiring issue.

9. IGRocker

IGRocker Well-Known Member

Yup, probably a grounding issue of it goes away when you touch a metal part. More than likely it's the wire underneath the bridge too, although I can't say for sure

RTH likes this.
  10. old mark

old mark Well-Known Member

When you touch metal, you are grounding the guitar... there is a bad wire/connection in there somewhere that is causing this.

11. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

I do not have an Epi Lucille .....however if you send me yours I will test it out ;)

12. macsr

macsr New Member

I just had to chuckle!

13. macsr

macsr New Member

Update on Lucille's humming problem. It only happens in my home as I have gigged three different venues with no noise. An electrician is coming by this week to check the apparent grounding issue in my house. I'll let you know if this gets settled once and for all.

A big thank you to all who have offered their wisdom and advice.

Paruwi and IGRocker like this.
  14. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker

Good news :thumb: