Epi Les Paul LS modding

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Ondra Kocman, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Ondra Kocman

Ondra Kocman New Member

Hi there,
    So i got my LP SL, and I decided to mod the hell out of this guitar, but i actually never modded a guitar before.
    Now to the problem, I would like to change the pickups probably for the hot rails or lipsticks, but I'm bit afraid that if I buy a pickup with dimensions of strat pickups, it wont fit properly. Does anyone have any experience with pickups on SL ? I havent found anything useful on the internet..

LSAR and Paruwi like this.
  2. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker

Hi,

Welcome here @ €piTalk
    :wave:

I'm sure some 'pro-modders' will show up soon
    and give you more and better advice than I can do

3. LSAR

LSAR Well-Known Member

They're standard strat pickups, lots of options out there.

The only issue you might encounter is say a high output pickup with larger magnets on the bottom (I'm looking at a DiMarzio SDS-1 for mine) as the route is fairly shallow.

Edit: as far as hot rails or lipsticks go, I don't think you should have an issue. I believe they should both fit fine (if you're getting that strat style lipsticks, not trying to fit some Dano style tubes). Seymour Duncan also offers very precise diagrams with dimensions on their specific product pages if you can take some measurements to compare.

Paruwi and Ondra Kocman like this.
  4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Go to the 60 Cycle Hum channel on YouTube. The guy went full tilt boogie on modding his SL (including lipstick pickups), then later used it to demo a gig bag to the guitar's destruction for charity.

5. Don_Swazy

Don_Swazy Active Member

Hi.
    Are you planning to scrap all of the other electronics as well?
    I'm deciding on if an SL should be my first guitar overhaul as well. I'm not brave enough to start on other guitars I have. =]

6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

It's a LOT of fun!

7. Ondra Kocman

Ondra Kocman New Member

Yeah im gonna scap basically everything on this guitar except the pickguard and bridge.. (and fcourse neck and body), I would like to replace that bridge aswell at some time (it feels very cheap..), atleast for another wrap-around that would fit the holes on the body because i'm really scared about drilling new ones.. I think it's very good guitar to start modding, mainly because its very cheap (I mean not that cheap for me, i'm a secondary school student so even ‎those $90 are quite alot for me) so you dont have to worry about messing up too much.. I going to post some images there so you can take a look, but currently i'm waiting for my pickups to arrive, so it may take a while..

8. Don_Swazy

Don_Swazy Active Member

Very cool. Good luck to ya.
    I think this could be a good one for me to cut my teeth on.

9. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Welcome Omdra.

What pups did you order ?