Epiphone 1955 Les Paul Custom

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Zero, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Which I understand. I was just saying that while I like the idea and the execution, the gold hardware just ain't my thing. I went on to imply that to stay true to the original model you pretty much had to have gold to work with the binding (and headstock inlay tbh).

If I was doing this on a website options table (ie limited to "stock" pieces from the Epiphone supplies), I'd do my theoretical version the same way spec wise, but cosmetically different in terms of binding, hardware color, and inlay. Same axe, just better suited to chrome / nickel.

It's a very nice axe, but gold just ain't my thing.

2. Space1999

Space1999 Well-Known Member

I hear you. I have been tempted to take one of my guitars and brass it up like Jerry Garcia’s Alembic and later personal luthiers work.

But I just can’t see it. Brass ain’t my thing.
    I have had brass nuts before in the late 70’s and 80’s when they were in Vogue. It really didn’t do anything for me.

Raiyn, I diversified my collection of Epi’s so every single guitar I have doesn’t have gold on it. Definitely too much of a good thing.

Plus they just take more cleaning to keep that gold plating from wearing away. A problem I don’t have with my nickel and chrome guitars.

So I feel you there. I still like especially a black and gold or wine and gold guitar but I am a fan of nickel (more so than chrome) plating for sure. :cheers:

Pat

Biddlin likes this.
  3. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Speaking of red,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I could see myself slinging something like this. Not for $6500 mind you, but an Epi "Inspired by" version with the '59 neck, Burstbuckers, locking tuners, and Jimmy Page wiring.
    :drool: The words "Shut up and take my money" come to mind.

Still, though that '55 is bad a$$.

IGRocker, DigitalDreams and Biddlin like this.
  4. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I religiously wipe my guitars with a clean dry cloth after each use. That is the best way I know to keep gold or any bright work from decay.

5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Harbor Freight used to have coupons for giveaway packs of microfiber cloths that are absolutely perfect for that task. I have at least one cloth in each case.

6. Biddlin

Me too and all around the house, but I think most are Hanes or Fruit of the Loom brand. :D

IGRocker and DigitalDreams like this.
  7. elephantrider

elephantrider Well-Known Member

I do wipe the nice ones down, but I play my tribute majority of the time and I haven't wiped it down since I've owned it. I want it to end up looking like the bridge pup. it gets 10 to 15hrs a week, so maybe in 10 years lol

Biddlin likes this.
  8. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I seriously hope you mean t-shirts. :eek2: :run:

(I was going to make a joke there, but thought better of it)

Down here I don't generate enough old cotton to make that a worthwhile venture. Most of my day to day wear items are wicking material and they're not worth a damn as a rag. I've got concert t shirts going back twenty years in great shape because I can only wear them for maybe a month in a year's time.

9. Space1999

That finish is probably the most bad @ss guitar finish I have ever seen :wow:

Good God!

Speaking of cleaning rags for guitar, I just replaced my polish rag. I really like Fender’s polishing cloth. The one I just replaced lasted for 4 years and I only replaced it because there was no clean part left to polish the guitar. :)

Pat

10. IGRocker

IGRocker Well-Known Member

Y’all are making me feel like I’m neglecting my girls. They get wiped down maybe once or twice a year. Maybe a quick swipe with the bottom of whatever shirt I’m wearing at the moment :rofl:

11. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Yup, before they get set back in the case, they get a quick wipe down.
    Down the strings, around the body, up the back of the neck with a good ol' Hazard Fart microfiber.

When I move into the coffee can, I plan on passing on my axes to interested relatives, and surviving friends so keeping them relatively schmoo free is important to me.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    Space1999, Biddlin and IGRocker like this.
  12. Biddlin

DSCN0445.JPG DSCN0444.JPG P1010125 (2).JPG
    This 2000 Les Paul has been in use almost daily for 20 years. Cleanliness pays off.

Space1999, nemesis0710 and Darkness like this.
  13. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

14. Space1999

OK when are we going to get there??!!

Does Zero have the 55’ LPC?

upload_2021-8-14_9-50-19.jpeg

Pat

dasherf17 and Darkness like this.