Epiphone 1959 Les Paul (2020)

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by LesPaul4Life, Nov 11, 2020.

1. LesPaul4Life

LesPaul4Life New Member

Hi Folks,

Just joined the forum yesterday - Big Epiphone fan player & collector.
    What does anyone think of the new 1959 kind of "R9" effort from Epi this year?

I think they look great with the specs involved, I wonder if they are gonna
    Continue them into next year or will this be the only year?
    Also has anyone seen the Honeyburst one available? I've heard its only availavle
    through Sweetwater.

Cheers & Happy Shredding! \m/

Danny D likes this.
  2. elephantrider

elephantrider Well-Known Member

its an outstanding example, to me. great neck profile, pups are absolutely on point.

20201029_204411.jpg

3. musicmaniac

musicmaniac Member

Definitely worth checking out!

4. LesPaul4Life

LesPaul4Life New Member

Aw man that is beatiful.... It really looks legit! Great purcahse , enjoy \m/

elephantrider likes this.
  5. Old Woody

Old Woody Active Member

Sweet axe, I'm about to pull the trigger prolly after I hear back from you. What color is that ? Zzounds has a southern burst that looks like that and a cherry sunburst so I'm on the fence also the only thing about the southern burst is it's a custom color from Zzounds and I noticed it did not have the plastic sticker on the back that gives some information about the Les Paul history. Did yours come with the sticker on the control panel? Thanks for posting that fine photo. :)

6. elephantrider

yah the sticker is just a decal that says epiphone and gibson custom shop teamed up for the '59 release. the color on that one is aged dark burst.

7. LesPaul4Life

LesPaul4Life New Member

That is a cracker mate.. Congrats! Really cant wait to get mine. That finish a beaut, I've got one on
    the way from Sweetwater and its Honeyburst.. which I believe is only available through them

elephantrider likes this.
  8. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

@elephantrider I heard that the backs had no veneer, can you confirm?

9. elephantrider

it's a bit difficult to tell, but my eyes told me no veneer in the back.

Supersonic likes this.
  10. Danny D

Danny D New Member

I've reserved the aged honey burst model from Sweetwater.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  11. Nikki M

Nikki M New Member

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  12. Nikki M

Nikki M New Member

Recieved Epiphone Exclusive Run 1959 Les Paul Standard Guitar Aged Southern Fade with Case..from American Music Supply...I did a 10 minute inspection..this guitar had a chipped head stock..bone nut lifted/shifted to 1 side..1 of the wound strings is unwinding..3 have flat spots..1 of the truss rod cover screws is installed crooked and cocked sideways..the rectangular plastic mounting rings for the pickups have saggy gaps already losing their shape.
    I've had old cars with tighter door gaps than these disasters..they need a new supplier... poor quality control..really poor packing box/taping..waste of time and money..the last photo is the boxed epiphone on its way back to UPS and American Music Supply.. returned it in 2 hours..Included a pic of the serial #..so you can avoid this lemon if it re-circulates on the market..

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    Epiplustop likes this.
  13. Rick Davey

Rick Davey Member

Oh, no!

Nikki M likes this.
  14. Mike Recinto

Mike Recinto New Member

If the picture on Sweetwater exclusive is what all the Honey Burst will look like, it doesn’t look that good IMO. I just ordered a Dark Burst from SW. It’s my first time buying a guitar from them. I heard they do a 55 point inspection, so getting a guitar out of the box with uneven nuts or loose jacks should not happen. I hope they get more in soon. The customer service at Sweetwater has been awesome. You feel like you have a direct sales person there who can help. Yeah I can go right now and get an Epi 59 LP (I see some in stock) from my local Guitar Center in The PNW. But I prefer Sweetwater in Indiana!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  15. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

This. This is why I buy new axes from Sweetwater.

IGRocker, Mike Recinto and Nikki M like this.
  16. Xtypeintn

Xtypeintn New Member

I’ve bought two guitars from Sweetwater. My Rep, Mike, is super conscientious and I’ve seen multiple pics of each guitar before I’ve placed my order. Setup was spot on, although I always put my string of choice on after they arrive.
    My Gib LP purchase was at a GC store, so I got to inspect before I choked on the amount paid.
    YMMV
    Cheers.
    RD

Mike Recinto likes this.
  17. Jeff

Jeff New Member

I had a 77 Gibson standard Les Paul and I now have a Gibson Sg 61 reissue. Great guitars. I just got in an Epiphone 59 darkburst that I waited on for 8 months. This guitar is every bit of the Gibson I had. The burstbucket pickups sound great!!! Got out of tune easy a little at first but it’s fine after it gets broken in a little. The neck is chunky especially compared to the SG but I like it as some people might not. It is HEAVY but the sound reflects on that. Anyway, I would tell anyone who likes Les Paul’s to look into this guitar. I have been thoroughly pleased with this guitar.

18. elephantrider

looks like you got either a floor model or a return, as a new unit.

19. Darkness

Darkness Active Member

My 59 has been pretty good. Possibly a proud fret or two up top but aside from that its hard to find a flaw. I did read about some sloppy craftsmanship like crooked tuners when these first came out but haven't seen any recently reported. Maybe they were in a hurry to meet demand back then, mine is a 2021.

L.A. Nights likes this.
  20. IGRocker

IGRocker Well-Known Member

The only problem I’ve found is that they haven’t created a ‘57 or ‘58 equivalent with the fatter neck profiles!