Epiphone 335 Pro or Sheraton 11 Pro.

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by wako kid, Mar 13, 2020.

1. wako kid

wako kid New Member

Greetings all, I'm a new guy here.
    I haven't owned an electric guitar in 50 years,so I've got a few questions. I recently looked at a Sheraton 11, and a 335Pro, the 335 was a nice guitar for the money, but I liked the sound of the sheraton better. The sheraton is $300.00 more, So, my question is, if I pull the trigger on a 335 (on sale for $399) can it be upgraded later on to sound more like the sheraton? Thanks, Bruce.....

Paruwi likes this.
  2. Juke Box

Juke Box Active Member

Trust your 1st impressions and go with the Sheraton. If you like a guitars sound you will want to play it.

Get the 335 next year

wako kid, Davis Sharp and Paruwi like this.
  3. Cozmik Cowboy

Cozmik Cowboy Well-Known Member

Repeating now (but you're new, so I'll make every one else listen to my patented rant again, just for your benefit :yesway:):

The Sheraton is what the 335 wishes it was. And not just the Epi 335. The 2 models were developed in the same room at the same time by the same people, with the Sheri as the upscale version (345 & 355 came along later), were introduced about one week apart (Sheri first, IIRC), and from 1958 until 1970 they were built on the same factory lines.
    And yes, I know that current Sheratons are not built in Kalamazoo - but neither are current 335s (if you really want a new K-zoo 335, you need a Heritage H-535).

I have had my '92 MIK Sheraton (see my avatar) since new, and love it. I don't think I have ever played an Epi 335, but I have played Gibson 335s from every decade of manufacture except the '50s, and have yet to find one I'd trade my Sheri even for. I have also played a '64 Sheraton, though, and I might trade mine for it.

Plus, the Sheraton (unlike the 335) has been described as "one of the most elegant guitars ever designed"; they're just beautiful!

Get the 335 & you'll probably like it. Get the Sheraton II (not 11), and I predict a long and passionate love affair. Closest thing to a downside? The side dots stop at the 15th fret - I've had the guitar 28 years and been a member here for almost 4, and I never noticed until someone here pointed it out; that may say something about how bad a flaw it is (or maybe just about what end of the fretboard I live at........:hmm:)

Oh - and welcome to the board! :cheers:

4. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker

You've answered it yourself.....

if you mod or upgrade the 335, you'll never get $ back

Welcome here :wave:

5. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Buy them both! You have 50 years of catching up to do. :)

Welcome to Epi talk. Whichever one you get, make sure to post photos.

Michael Montiel and wako kid like this.
  6. wildeman

wildeman Well-Known Member

The Sheraton is the best Epiphone ever made............there, i said it.:naughty:

Michael Montiel and Keith4001r like this.
  7. Cozmik Cowboy

FIFY

8. wako kid

wako kid New Member

Thanks for all the great advice, (thats why I came here). I'm going to hold out and buy the sheraton. The 335 was tempting because of the price, but, that sheraton would have always be on my mind. It will probably be a while before I scrape up the extra money (unless my eastman OM sells soon), but I will definetly post some pics. Thanks All.....

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    Paruwi and Davis Sharp like this.
  9. wako kid

wako kid New Member

Also, for everyone who helped me decide, I need you to explain to my wife why a $700 guitar is better then a $400 one.........

10. Keith4001r

Keith4001r New Member

I think we all struggle with that one. Welcome from a fellow newbie.

wako kid likes this.
  11. Cozmik Cowboy

How much are you asking? Rosewood or mahogany? Model? you know - all the straight poop.

12. wako kid

wako kid New Member

Its a 2017 Eastman E8OM, for $775, Rosewood/sitka. The forum wont allow me to post a link yet........

13. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker

Go shopping with her - might not be necessary to explain much,
    many wifes tend to have exclusive ($$$) taste .....

wako kid likes this.
  14. wildeman

That's a great idea, the Sheraton really speaks for its self once you see it in person.

Paruwi likes this.
  15. wildeman

No, i meant it how i wrote it.

16. Cozmik Cowboy

As noted above, I love Sheratons - but have you ever played a pre-Gibby Epi?
    There's a reason they were Gibson's main competitor.

17. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Ask her why a small Louis Vu1tton clutch purse is three times as expensive as a Coach tote bag that holds ten times as much. :)

Why is Louis Vu1tton (proper spelling) banned on the forum. It's not like I wrote P0ker ch1p.

18. wildeman

Yes, ive played a couple and they were very cool....i just love my Sherry is all:cheers:

driver8 likes this.
  19. driver8

driver8 New Member

No contest, get the Sheraton. I've had both (and still have the Sheraton), and it's just a wayyyyy better instrument. I'll spare you my negative review of the 335 b/c maybe there are some good ones, idk. But imo the 335 Pro is nowhere in the same league as a Sheraton, and that's an understatement, to put it mildly.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    wako kid likes this.
  20. 39MartinD18

39MartinD18 New Member

I play a semi-rarity, a made in Japan, assembled in the USA Sheraton, which is a bit higher up on the food chain than the garden variety Sheraton made today. That said, a couple of options come to mind: the first is to buy used. There are large numbers of Sheratons on ebay, Reverb and they show up often enough on Craigslist locally that they're on there almost daily at prices between 350-700 USD. It's entirely possible you might get a Sheraton at the Dot new price or less. As far as pickups go, the Sheraton Pro, with the ProBucker pickups is superior sounding, IMHO, to the earlier versions, but they all sound really good.

driver8 and wako kid like this.