Epiphone Dot MIK. Let's see it.

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Epic, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Epic

Epic New Member

Hi Epiphone lovers,

I'm new to this forum and I'm happy that I have found it. I would have never known I would love an Epiphone guitar until a week ago. I have been playing guitar for a few years now, I'm by no means an expert, but playing guitar is like escape and a form of expression which I like. Currently, I've been trying to find something new and I stumbled upon a used Epiphone Dot year 2001 for sale, made in Korea, "I" for Saein. Reviews have praised this guitar a lot, so I decided to buy it from the previous owner. What a wonderful guitar! Well crafted, has presence, the tone is warm which is perfect for that jazz sound. Add a bit of an overdrive and it speaks the Blues! I owned a Gibson LP and an American Fender Strat as well, and I haven't touched those two guitars for a week now! I'm happy I bought this Dot. The only thing that I didn't like at the beginning was the neck that felt a bit sticky due to its "glossy" finish, but after playing for a few hours, I got used to it. I know nowadays Dots are MIC, I haven't tried an MIC so I cannot speak to it. So I guess my question is, if you own an Epiphone DOT MIK, what has been your experience with it? Would you also know what kind of wood, materials they used to make those guitars back then? Let's see it! Mine is attached.
    :dude:

Attached Files:

2. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

A Scotch-Brite pad will fix that for you in a matter of seconds.

3. wildeman

wildeman Well-Known Member

No dot but i have a Sheraton from that year and it is exceptional. Those are maple bodies with mahogany necks iirc, probably alnico '57 pickups, same as mine.

4. Epic

Epic New Member

That is really nice. Please post a photo ;)

5. Epic

Epic New Member

That is interesting, so you recommend to just brush off the glossy coating?

6. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

Going up and down the neck with a Scotch-Brite pad for a minute or two will turn it into a matte or 'satin' finish. You're only taking off a small amount of the thick poly. If you play it a lot the oils from your hand will start to shine it back to glossy eventually so you can just do it again or polish it back up to how it is now.

I like satin finished necks better and it works for me. There's several others here that do it too. It's a cool hack.

Epic likes this.
  7. Keefoman

Keefoman Well-Known Member

A '98 I bought and fixed for my father a couple of years ago. It was already fit with the Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz humbuckers and Bigsby. My father didn't care for the Bigsby, so I mounted a regular stop tail. One of the tuning pegs was missing (I got a great deal due to that...), so I went with a set of Wilkinson tulips in chrome. Here it is before the Bigsby removal and with just one of the Wilkinson tuners installed:

[​IMG]

A very nice looking, playing and sounding guitar, but I would have liked to replace the bridge as well, as it rattles. Does anyone know if I can get an upgraded bridge that fits without any modification?

Steven Westberg and Epic like this.
  8. camposthetron

camposthetron New Member

9B34B068-FDB9-4907-8DBA-C88B88296303.jpeg Man, you guys' cherry Dots are BEAUTIFUL!

Here's my 2002 MIK Dot. It's still all stock.
    I converted the bridge to lefty first to fix the intonation, then moved all the controls a few years after that. There was NOTHING scarier than taking a drill to this thing!

I also sanded the gloss off the neck recently. I can't recommend that enough, it feels so much smoother.

Thanks for getting this fun thread started!

Epic likes this.