Epiphone Les Paul Custom Koa

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Space1999, May 6, 2021.

1. Space1999

Space1999 Well-Known Member

Anybody looking at this new release?
    I wasn’t sure I could post a photo from a retailer so I didn’t.

Very nice setup for the price. ProBuckers, gold hardware, ebony fretboard, CTS electronics with push/pull single coil and phase reverse if I remember right.

They are beautiful but understandably heavy with most of them just under 9 pounds.

I have been waiting for them to release and I am just wondering if anyone else is going to pull the trigger?

Pat

2. Darkness

Darkness Well-Known Member

3. Space1999

Me too! I only have one Epi LP and it has the baseball neck so I was figuring I needed a faster neck. And this guitar looks soooo good.

Pat

4. Space1999

Well I decided to buy a used 2016 Les Paul Custom Pro Koa. I actually liked the finish a little better than the heavy lines on the new ones and it will save me a little money for a
    case.
    IMG_1151-3.jpeg

Pat

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    IGRocker, BGood and Darkness like this.
  5. Space1999

Morning gents! Decided to post a few photos of my recent purchase of a 2016 factory second (I think no serial on the back of the headstock) Epi Les Paul Custom Koa.

I purchased my usual Resomax NV2 with Graphtech saddles for a bridge replacement and a Reso for the Stop Tail. New Levy’s and an Epi case. Just need new knobs to complete my usual Epi overhaul.

I was going to buy a new LP Cust Pro Koa but I didn’t like the way the lines puckered at the butt of the guitar on the face. So I found 1 used on Reverb with a much better look and snagged that.

I haven’t finished my guitar collection yet but believe it or not I already have 2 factory 2nds from 2016. That was the first year of the Chinese Pro’s and they were learning to paint I think because both of mine are perfect except for a blemish on one and nothing wrong on the second.

Here she be...
    IMG_1149-3.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    Zero, Darkness and Davis Sharp like this.
  6. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

@Space1999 that was the one I was weighing the options of buying it or the ‘59 Epi. Looks like they both got good homes! :)

7. Space1999

I know! I had been eyeing it for a while too.
    I’ll keep you posted. ‘59 Les Paul sounds like it is going to be a collectors since Gibson was so involved with helping Epiphone build it.
    And for under $700 new, the price is right.

Pat

Zero likes this.
  8. Space1999

Weird thing is there is no serial on the headstock so I have been calling it a factory 2nd. But all mine are stamped on the back 2nd. I saw where some got stickers with new serials. I guess it would be easy to rip the sticker off?

I don’t really care because I love the finish and I am already going to replace the bridge and stop piece. I’ll check out the Grover’s and pickup covers and make a decision there.

I plan on checking out the pots and the caps too and possible swapping those out. Maybe put a treble bleed circuit in...

I am looking forward to the adventure! These are my favorite type of Epiphone’s. The ones where I really customize them.
    Found some really cool knobs for her today after looking forever.

Pat

9. Old Woody

Old Woody Active Member

Nice wood floor you got there and the guitar ain't too shabby either. :rofl:

10. Space1999

That is actually the sellers wood floor. His whole site is like that. He sells mostly high end stuff, my Epi Koa was probably stinking up the place. LOL

Pat

11. Old Woody

Old Woody Active Member

I had it down to the Epi or an ESP I got The ESP but although I like it I know I'll get the Koa Les Paul next the only thing I don't like about it is it looks like they screwed the pickguard into the top a shame if that's true I always remove the pickguard on exotic topped guitars as I don't use a pick. :D

12. Old Woody

Old Woody Active Member

Right, they sell on reverb as well mostly high end guitars I thought that floor looked familiar but he has burlap in the background of the photo shoots lol.

13. Space1999

He has some gorgeous Gretsch guitars that still have their binding straight that I would love to have. Too rich for my blood.

Pat

14. Space1999

Well my 2016 LP Custom Koa came today.
    It’s always a roll of the dice with guitars you buy online, but I gotta say I came up Aces on this deal.

The guitar was right off the bat much more gorgeous than in the online pics. There were only a few light scratches which I buffed out.

The hardware was in great shape but I changed the bridge and the tailpiece with a Resomax. I put some Lizard Spit on the fretboard and polished her up.

Put a set of 11’s on her and set the neck, bridge and intonation. 5 hours later this is what I had come up with...

Oh and it was not a factory second, the serial number on the back is so lightly stamped you have to turn the headstock in the light to see it. It was a November 2016 made in the Quidao factory (#15).

Enjoy the snaps. Tomorrow I plug her in and take her for a stroll. Oh and the electronics has push/pull on three knobs so single coil on each pickup and phase reverse when in the middle position (like my SG has).

IMG_1168.jpeg IMG_1169.jpeg IMG_1170.jpeg

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  15. Darkness

Darkness Well-Known Member

Stunning!

16. Space1999

There is something that is very nice about the resonance of this guitar that I don’t have with my other LP. I need to look up the 2016 catalog and see if this was a layered Koa top and rosewood neck, etc...
    It could be the heavier gloss, but it is not splashy in the high end. It is very well rounded and warm sounding. The kind of guitar you can feel the resonance through the body with the guitar unplugged.

I have always been able to do that with my Sheraton’s but not really like this with a solid body guitar.

Pat

Zero likes this.
  17. Space1999

Zero likes this.
  18. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

19. Space1999

But is it $1800 gorgeous? I think that is a little steep. I like the fact that this one has no Bigsby but I also like the model that has the Bigsby and indeed, I am a big Bigsby fan.

I am going to try to find a 2016 Wildkat Koa just to see if they are around and what they are going for...

Pat

Zero likes this.
  20. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Member

There's a nice used Koa Wildcat on reverb right now for $700.

Zero likes this.