Epiphone Les Paul Standard has two (2) serial numbers?

natedogg88

Reaction score
Hello there! I am a newbie on this forum and actually a new Epiphone owner (as of today.) I got my first two Epiphone guitars today - one is an Explorer GT Mini I ordered from eBay and received in the mail today and the other is a Les Paul standard I just picked up from a local seller today. I am very excited :)

When I was looking at the serial number on the back of the les paul standard I picked up today as part of a multiple-piece gear deal, I noticed there appears to be both a stamped and printed serial number on the back on the headstock. When I look up each serial number they appear about 10 years difference in age and likely that one could have originated from Japan or Korea whereas the other was made in China. Has anyone seen one before with the double serial number? Which one should I trust? The stamped number I see under the printed one is "F305764" and the printed number is 10031516137.

I understand those Schecter tuners are not factory and I'll like be replacing those soon ;)

Thanks in advance for any insight and for looking!

Attachments

• 20220117_182443.jpg
    20220117_182443.jpg
    670.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220117_182459.jpg
    20220117_182459.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220117_182459.jpg
    20220117_182459.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 20

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
Welcome! Even with limited knowledge on the subject matter, I'm pretty sure it's not a made in Japan one - those have a different headstock/ truss rod cover etc...
My guess (but I have no basis for this) is that it's a made in China and they just printed over the embossed serial. Anyway, still a nice find! The knobs look really neat!

BGood

Reaction score
F - Qingdao (China) = Les Paul Standard '59 / '60 / Tribute Models

Yours is a Standard. Fat or slim neck ? If fat it is a '59, if not a '60.

The overlapping printed serial though .. I dunno. If I had to guess, I'd be worried it was stolen and someone tried to camouflage the original serial. Maybe not ...

natedogg88

Reaction score
Welcome! Even with limited knowledge on the subject matter, I'm pretty sure it's not a made in Japan one - those have a different headstock/ truss rod cover etc...
My guess (but I have no basis for this) is that it's a made in China and they just printed over the embossed serial. Anyway, still a nice find! The knobs look really neat!

Thanks Noodling! I just got it all setup and adjusted and it plays awesome - I couldn't be happier.

F - Qingdao (China) = Les Paul Standard '59 / '60 / Tribute Models

Yours is a Standard. Fat or slim neck ? If fat it is a '59, if not a '60.

The overlapping printed serial though .. I dunno. If I had to guess, I'd be worried it was stolen and someone tried to camouflage the original serial. Maybe not ...

Yeah I thought the same thing at first about it possibly being a stolen thing someone was trying to cover up, however, it doesn't appear this guitar has ever been refinished and that stamp is clearly under the original finish. If someone did refinish this job they would have done a job in a class high above what this guitar is worth, in my opinion. I believe this is the 59' standard tribute with the "fat neck", but I'm not totally sure since this is my first les paul ever. I did notice the back of one of the pickups said something like 59 in the model number and also shows a letter "f" and the epiphone emblem on the back of the pickup.

Just for fun, I'm also attaching a pic of my new gt mini. So excited to get this one setup next and already thinking about some pickups for it :) It looks really small in my full size explorer case lol.
20220117_182714-new.jpg

natedogg88

Reaction score
I did a little more research on my les paul and determined it is actually a "60s" version with the "slim" neck as opposed to a 59. I found a video on youtube that compares the two models and shows the differences in the wirings used, and mine is clearly a 60s standard version as opposed to a 59 when looking at the wiring used behind the pots.

I reached out to Epiphone support about the serial number but am not sure if they will be able to provide me any additional information.

Latest posts