Epiphone Les Paul Studio

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Samzila, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Samzila

Samzila New Member

Hey All,

I recently got gifted an Epiphone Les Paul Studio. My whole life i've been used to playing Gibson's but Im happy with this guitar for playing small club gigs so my expensive stuff doesn't get stolen or destroyed.

How do you think this guitar sounds? Is it good for playing live or recording in the studio? I don't want to seem like an Amateur with this.

Do you think I should add pickup covers to it? Also, do you think I should invest money into the guitar to change the pickups, POTS and tuning pegs to be more like a gibson in the future? or Is it good how it is as a base. Im not very Familiar with Epiphones.

Thanks So Much

Paruwi likes this.
  2. LSAR

LSAR Well-Known Member

Only you can decide that for yourself. If the tuners are Grover, no room for improvement there in my opinion. Pickup covers, it can be argued are entirely cosmetic or somewhat influential. Pickups are up to you. Pots, jack, etc are also fine as is but upgrading for some reliability can't hurt.

Really it depends, does it sound good to you? If not, have you tried making adjustments to the pickups, polepieces, etc. to suit what you're looking for? If that doesn't get you where you need to be then look at upgrades, if you're having tuning issues they're more likely the nut than tuners, if you need a different sound you'll notice the biggest change with pickups that suit you (this willll depend on your rig of course, as well), and the best of that will come through if you get some higher quality electronics in there to go with that.

On the other hand, set up properly it should be functionally just fine as it is. You may find upgrading all the parts to Gibson spec doesn't change a whole lot. Figuring out what you need to have changed and changing those accordingly on the other hand, should leave you with a great instrument that does what you want.

3. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker

Hi Samzila,

welcome here @ €piTalk
    :wave:

Let your ears decide if there is the need to upgrade anything

:thumb:

[​IMG]

4. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Welcome to EpiTalk. Now let's see a photo of that Epi LP Studio or we won;'lieve that you have it. :)

5. DPaulCustom

DPaulCustom Well-Known Member

I wouldn't change anything, unless there is a problem.

Paruwi and epi 'sildo like this.
  6. Juke Box

Juke Box Active Member

Any guitar that plays well is worth changing pups, tuners and caps. However if it buzzes or has intonation issues or you simply don't like the feel of the neck then it isn't worth spending more money on.

If you like the guitar then yes try any mod you can think of. A good guitar is a good guitar.

7. Cam.man67

Cam.man67 Well-Known Member

Pics or it didn't happen.;) I'd echo everybody else and just say that if you like the sound of it and it stays in tune, keep it the way it is. That being said, a good setup will go a long way to making playing more enjoyable so that's my first step on any guitar I buy. I personally think humbucker covers are a must from an aesthetic standpoint.

EDIT: I would add that the Studios come with Alnico Classics...they're very good pickups, but are sensitive to height adjustment. Don't be afraid to break out a screwdriver!:)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  8. epi 'sildo

epi 'sildo Active Member

i wouldn't change anything. its kind of obvious if you feel you have to ask that you obviously feel the guitar sounds good to you but your gibson conditioning has told you that the guitar is substandard and amatuer. a load of pucky if i ever heard one. just play it. the only reason anyone thinks they can hear a difference is head stock preference. thats it.

its all subjective anyway.

Caddy likes this.