Epiphone Mini Probuckers

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Imerkat, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Imerkat

Imerkat Well-Known Member

Was not a fan of the NY mini humbuckers in my Wilshire and after many swaps, and trying to build one myself, I made a set which I enjoyed but they were very single coil sounding without the jangle. thought I would leave it at that but than I ran into these:
    [​IMG]

They have this matted nickle covers that haven't seen before which change the look of the guitar but I diggin'. and they sound so good! I have boutique minis and bought cheap no name Alibaba mini's too and I do believe you get what you pay for but these have me in a loop.

I'm not affiliated in anyway just wanted to let it be known when Epiphone hits one out of the park!

Davis Sharp and DigitalDreams like this.
  2. bobalu

bobalu New Member

I have an Epiphone John Lee Hooker edition which has these mini-buckers - it's the reason I actually bought the guitar. I was astounded with the sound of them. Epiphone definitely hit one out of the park with these......

Davis Sharp and Imerkat like this.
  3. Matthew Medofer

Matthew Medofer New Member

I was wondering if these sound a little more trebly , more like a cross between a p90/humbucker, I'm thinking of buying a set of these mini probuckers because I liked the probucker 2/3 so much
    I noticed these over some of the others I'm looking at and wanna try these
    They are goin into a firebird replica

Davis Sharp likes this.
  4. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Thing is ... if you bought those on eBay from a Chinese vendor for ± $50, they are not from Epiphone, they are fake. Epiphone sells their regular Probuckers for something like $135 a set, so $50 for minis ... hmmm.

5. Imerkat

They are most likely electronics from sub-par guitars the factory throws away. Here is one for sale that can't be fake; the machine stamped "Epiphone" on the toggle switch paired with Korean made pots, and laser etched "Epiphone USA" and brass base plate screws
    [​IMG]

There is a reason I know the mini's weren't fake; you are not going to find a mini humbucker knock-off with a Gibson style braided wire, laser etched Epiphone base plate, AND maple wood spacer! but alas they are gone :(

6. Juke Box

Juke Box Active Member

I am guessing they are Gotoh.
    Some of the tonal issues with Gotoh is thinner wire gauge adding extra winding thus higher ohms thus muddiness

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  7. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

I recently bought a Chinese Dog Ear P90 for $21.99 and it had braided wire. AND ... it sounds very very close to a Lollar I have. So ...

P90 - chinois - httpswww.ebay.caitm123752428283.jpg

China has come a long way since the first Epiphone fakes. I think they got real good real fast at copying almost anything. Not that hard to "laser etch" / mold / punch a baseplate.
    Maple wood spacer ... really ? What tells you it's not bamboo or something else ? Does it taste like maple syrup ?

But if they sound good and you like them, I'll leave it at that.

8. Imerkat

I think you missed my point, it was built to specs. Fakes are not. it even has a nickle finish most pickup builders don't offer

but that's where they're made :dunno:
    It's no different than Gibson Gear Galore on ebay selling Gibson parts.

I think most pickup builders would disagree but yeah these pickups come and go with production. there was a batch from the Bonamassa firebirds and I'm user will see some of those minis with the new Uptown kat!