Epiphone p93 Riviera Owners

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Jay, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Jay

Jay New Member

Hi. I just ordered a used Riviera p93 and was hoping to get some info from those of you that are familiar with them. I would like to know what you all like and dislike about them. Does anyone recommend upgrades? The one I ordered is white. I saw a couple gold tops for sale, I really liked the looks of the black ones but couldn't find any for sale that I could have shipped to me.I wound up paying a little more for a white one than I would have paid for a brand new wine colored one. I like the wine but already have a couple wine colored guitars. Do you all think that any of these colors will become more rare than others. Were the different colors only offered in particular years ? Are they no longer in production ? DO any of you have a particular string size preference for these guitars ? Just trying to gain as much knowledge as I can about it while I wait for mine to be delivered. Thank you in advance ! Jay

Supersonic likes this.
  2. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

I have a wine red one. They made them in a bunch of different colors as listed here:

https://web.archive.org/web/2016040...wiki.com/index.php/Riviera#Riviera_Custom_P93

What do I like about it? Well it's beautiful, plays great, and the P90s sound amazing. The blends you can get with the middle pickup are really interesting.

What don't I like about it? The middle pickup sometimes :rofl: The way I strum I have to make sure I don't hit it, but that's just user error.

As far as strings go, I use Ernie Ball 10s but use whatever you like.

Upgrades? mine is stock except for a gold Vibramate string spoiler for the Bigsby that I put on a couple weeks ago (not shown in pic).

Pic:

[​IMG]

3. Jay

Jay New Member

Thank you supersonic. You are the second person that mentioned the pickup interfering with their strumming. That has me a little nervous. Maybe I will be able to find an anchor point that keeps my pick in a good place. Yours is beautiful. How long have you owned it ? Did you buy it new ? Did it need a setup ?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  4. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Here's mine:
    2riv.e.jpg er1.jpg er3.jpg 2rivb.jpg 1Riv.7.jpg
    I can't put it down. Great sounds from Wes Montgomery to Jimmy Reed and all points in between. Not as light weight as I'd like, but I'm old. I'll add, I'm not a Bigsby fan as a rule, but love this one. Action and set-up were good out of the box (Sweetwater) and after I wore out the shipping strings, I put on my usual NYXL 9-42s and did a very light intonation and neck relief adjustment and it is even better!

Supersonic likes this.
  5. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

I bought mine new from Musicians Friend in 2011. It was on sale with the Epi case included and the price was just too good to pass up.

Did it need a setup? Yes. But pretty much every new guitar does. It played fine straight out of the box which was surprising to me for a guitar with a Bigsby (I love Bigsbys), but I adjusted the truss rod just a tad and set the action to how I like it and did my best to intonate it properly. Not difficult at all and then it was just dead on perfect.

As for the middle pickup thing, It just takes a minute to get used to, plenty of legends have rocked 3 pickup gee-tars.

6. Jay

Jay New Member

Nice looking guitars. I think mine will be here on the 9th or 10th. I just got a spark positive grid amp that I am really enjoying. Still learning all that it can do. Cant wait to run the Riviera through it.

7. Jay

Jay New Member

Guitar plays great but its gonna take me a while to get use to the string spacing. It feels a lot wider than all of my other guitars