EpiphoneTalk P90 club.

Imerkat

Reaction score
This the only p90 epi i have left. Is one enough?
index.php

Imerkat

Reaction score
Oh man, that's one slick looking guitar. What's the finish? Looks like maybe an olive green or is it more grey and it's just the lighting causing the greenish tint?

Thanks! it’s called Silver Fox and it’s the thinnest nitro finish I’ve seen. From what I’ve read, the green tint comes from the grain filler

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
Nice ! Would you care to talk about their difference ?

Sorry for the late reply. Been very busy at work this month and so didn't get around to making this until this weekend.

Here's some rough soundclips. Hope you enjoy! I like both very much - through the mic (and to my surprise), the Gibsons sound a bit clearer - but when I stand in front of the amp, the Epi's have a bit more treble bite which I like. To be honest, I don't really recall ever hearing a set of P-90s that I thought sounded bad. That being said, I recently bought some aftermarket P-90s to try and will likely use the Epiphone as a test bed.

Mr Hockey

Reaction score
I have a Gibson SG special with P90s. P90s are wonderful. They are my favorite pickup.

soulman969

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply. Been very busy at work this month and so didn't get around to making this until this weekend.

Here's some rough soundclips. Hope you enjoy! I like both very much - through the mic (and to my surprise), the Gibsons sound a bit clearer - but when I stand in front of the amp, the Epi's have a bit more treble bite which I like. To be honest, I don't really recall ever hearing a set of P-90s that I thought sounded bad. That being said, I recently bought some aftermarket P-90s to try and will likely use the Epiphone as a test bed.

Interesting comparison. I did much the same with my jam brothers Gibson '56 Gold Top and my Epi '56 Gold Top which is a 2008 IIRC.

Tonally the Epi pickups are bit brighter and cleaner sounding vs the grittier more mid forward Gibsons. That worked well for both of us since he prefers that Gibson P90 tonality while I lean more towards more clarity and "bite". Truth be told the best P90s I've ever played were Fralin's. Some day I may actually do a pickup swap and install them in mine.

Other than that and a few other minor details in all ways the Epi compared very favorably with the Gibson. Blindfolded it would be tough to tell them apart. He's a born and raised Michigander whose a huge Gibson fan from way back so for him to agree that at it's price the Epi was the better value of the two was a pretty strong concession on his part.

How do you feel they stack up against one another?

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
Interesting comparison. I did much the same with my jam brothers Gibson '56 Gold Top and my Epi '56 Gold Top which is a 2008 IIRC.

Tonally the Epi pickups are bit brighter and cleaner sounding vs the grittier more mid forward Gibsons. That worked well for both of us since he prefers that Gibson P90 tonality while I lean more towards more clarity and "bite". Truth be told the best P90s I've ever played were Fralin's. Some day I may actually do a pickup swap and install them in mine.

Other than that and a few other minor details in all ways the Epi compared very favorably with the Gibson. Blindfolded it would be tough to tell them apart. He's a born and raised Michigander whose a huge Gibson fan from way back so for him to agree that at it's price the Epi was the better value of the two was a pretty strong concession on his part.

How do you feel they stack up against one another?

I totally agree that they're quite similar. I originally dug up the Epiphone with the sole intention of using it as a platform to try different pickups that I bought over the years. However, when I plugged it in, I remembered why I bought the guitar to begin with - it just sounds great - not because of the value, but those are just nice sounding pickups period. For example, if someone repackaged those and sold them to me as a set of boutique pickups, I don't think I would've complained (so long as I didn't find out :D)!

soulman969

Reaction score
I totally agree that they're quite similar. I originally dug up the Epiphone with the sole intention of using it as a platform to try different pickups that I bought over the years. However, when I plugged it in, I remembered why I bought the guitar to begin with - it just sounds great - not because of the value, but those are just nice sounding pickups period. For example, if someone repackaged those and sold them to me as a set of boutique pickups, I don't think I would've complained (so long as I didn't find out :D)!

Also my reasoning behind not swapping out the pickups. While Fralin's might sound a bit better the question would be is it worth spending that much to gain maybe 20% or less? Probably not. Like you, I enjoy the stock pickups.

Latest posts