ES335, Sheraton, Ibanez 93

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by sjturbo, Jul 24, 2021.

1. sjturbo

sjturbo New Member

I ma in the market for a "new" semi hollow and have narrowed it down to three choices and would like some opinions. In no special order Sheraton, EPI ES335 or Ibanez AS93fm. Maybe some of you
    have one of these and can help me.
    Sheraton because of sound and quality but don't care for the colors available.
    ES335 only thing is I have heard the hardware quality is not good and the pickups
    are not the Probuckers.
    Ibanez AS93 Much like EPI 335 shape, Super 58's and general quality.
    None of these are available locally and many online shops do not have them in
    stock. I may have to wait until the factories get up to speed again.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

A good sheraton is hard to beat. The 2020 and newer Epiphone line is tough to beat.
    Every single Ibanez semi hollow I’ve played has been excellent. Plugged in or not.

different looks different Neck profiles.

In the Same price range the Ibanez might have the edge in the hardware but things like hardware will be more similar than different.

IGRocker and vomer like this.
  3. Steven Howes

Steven Howes Active Member

I'll echo Norton. I love my Epi 335 (set up for slide), It's one of those guitars that most people would pick up and go "It's OK" but for me there something there that I really like.
    I'm also a fan of the Ibanez artcore line(I have 4).Like most things the pickups get better as you move up the line but a AS93s hardware will be fine. The main difference between them is the neck carve. The Epi is a lot chunkier, I'm not the biggest dude so hence setting it up for slide. the artcores neck carve is pretty middle of the road, but it fits my hands fine.
    If you find 335s big there is also the AM93, same neck same hardware(I think) but the body is smaller. Think midway between 335 & 339.
    Here's my am93ME. I've had it for less than a month. I could look at it all day. lol

Darkness likes this.
  4. soulman969

soulman969 Well-Known Member

I did not care for the Classic Humbuckers used in the smaller body ES 339 Pro I once had so I've moved on from it to one with P90s instead but as for playability it has been excellent with both. I even had a buddy offer me $100 more than I paid for the ES 339 Pro.

Sheraton's are truly great guitars and you're likely to find you like the pickups a bit more. Playability wise it should feel much like an ES 335. The Ibby Artcore models are also excellent guitar. A good friend of mine has one with the "distressed" finish.

Of the two I liked the pickups on the Ibby Artcore more but not so much the neck profile. But that's somewhat splitting hairs. I could own one of the smaller body Artcore models and be thrilled with it too.

Tough choice because they're all great guitars.

5. RR-Ramblers

RR-Ramblers Active Member

6. Steven Howes

Steven Howes Active Member

Oh Yeah. A Riviera would be sweet. But I'm the same, I don't need anymore guitars. I actually broke my "One in, One out" rule to pickup that AM93. I'm trying to keep the collection from becoming a hoard. 10 is the Number I'm shooting for and I think I'm at 14, It was easy before when I had guitars that I didn't like or use. Now? I play almost all of them. there is one I can get rid of but it's not mine and to return it would involve me shipping it cross country... Oh what a hard problem to have! lol

7. IGRocker

IGRocker Well-Known Member

Not a knock on Ibanez build quality, but I’ve never bonded with the skinny neck profiles or unplugged sound of the semi-hollows they make. The quality is great, but I have yet to find one that speaks to me. A 335-Pro sounds great plugged in for sure.

8. sjturbo

sjturbo New Member

Interesting. I have not been able to play an AS93 but I do not care for the Ibanez solidbody necks, to thin! Neck width is the same for the Sheraton and the AS93. I am trying to get the complete spec on the Sheraton neck but can't find them yet. I have them for the AS93. I was able to play a Sheraton and 335, ( not sure it was a Pro). I liked the feel and sound of the Sheraton much more. To my ears the 335 pickups did not sound near as good as the Sheraton. Also the quality of workmanship on the 335 was greatly lacking compared to the Sheraton. For $100 difference in price the Sheraton seems to offer much better attentention to detail as well as better hardware, and pickups. BUT, I sure like the Raspberry and Ice Tea burst on the 335 Pro's much more than the vintage sunburst Sheraton. To bad they don't offer more color selections.

9. Cozmik Cowboy

Cozmik Cowboy Well-Known Member

As you may discern from my avatar, the Sheraton would be my first choice; I have played Sheris from the '60s & from the '80s through the '10s. I have yet to find one I didn't love! (My '92 & a '64 my local shop had - very briefly; sold about 3 seconds after they took it in - are tied as my favs)

From my observation over 50+ years of guitar geekdom, the Epi-specific models are a higher-level instrument than the Epi versions of Gibson models; I would have to play an amazing Epi 335 to consider it.

RR-Rambler's suggestion of a Riviera is a good one, as well - as long as it's a real Riviera, with mini-'buckers & Frequensator.

The only Ibanez I have come across that was not a fine instrument was an $89 dread my D-I-L bought for #2 son when he briefly decided he wanted to play; I was shocked they put their name on that fecal thing! Tried to set it up for him, and could not make it playable. But, as I said - the onliest one ever.

But guitars are highly personal things; there is one way, and one way only, to get the real answer to your question: Get out there & play all of them - a lot. You'll know when you find The One.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  10. sjturbo

sjturbo New Member

Thanks for your reply. As a Sheraton owner can you recommend a good case for it? I understand with the longer headstock
    they are somewhat unique and not an easy one to find a quality case for.

11. sjturbo

sjturbo New Member

One other question. As I am not a real fan of the current color offerings can someone tell me what recent years models have the
    ProBuckers?

12. Cozmik Cowboy

Cozmik Cowboy Well-Known Member

I've had it since new, so I can't recall for sure, but I'm pretty certain it's a standard Guitar-Center-house-brand semi-hollow case; fits with room to spare. If you want to avoid the Evil Empire, Silver Creek & Gator make decent cases; a hair more spendy, though. Or, if you go to Sweetwater's "Case Finder" on their website & enter the make & model, they will sell you an actual Epiphone case for it for $129.

Or, if you want to be a fanatic about it, contact R&R Cases in Evanston, IL; best flight cases out there :cool:

Out of curiosity, I just measured; the Sheri's headstock is about 1" shorter than my Takamine 12-string. I have a standard Gator dreadnought case for it, and it fits fine, so probably them or Epi (Sweetwater has a Gator for the same price that turns up on Case Finder, as well as some pricier Gators).

I have not, however, ever compared my headstock to other Sheratons, and there may be variation factory to factory and year to year; when I had to make a new harness for mine, I had to use mini pots, as full-sized ones wouldn't fit through the ƒ-holes, while someone else (either here or on the "Other Epiphones" subforum of MyLesPaul) had no troubel fitting them through his.

So, to conclude my rambling and blathering, I'd probably go with the Epi one. Or at least try it; I needed a new case for my Alvarez 5014, so I called them & asked which one. Ordered it from MF - actual says-Alvarez-on-the-side factory case - and it was too tight (the guitar is a '79, the case about '08 or so).

And I'm still rambling; if I didn't know better, I'd swear I'd fired up my nighttime medication early..........

Hope you can make some sense out of that.

Oh, one last thing - if you get the Sheri (and I think you should), prepare to fall in love. I know I've said it here many times, but I will keep saying it any time the matter comes up: I have played many, many Gibson ES-335-TDs, from every decade of manufacture except the '50s & '20s, and have yet to find one I'd trade my Sheraton for straight up.

13. RR-Ramblers

RR-Ramblers Active Member

I'm lucky to have a wife like mine - was gonna sell my Epiphone EJ 200-SCE and she said "are you sure, you'll regret it if you sell it"...and I have 12 guitars and basses. I do like your "one in, one out" rule - I just sold 2 guitars I refurbished and my wife's Squier Bronco bass (that was replaced previously by an Epiphone EB-0 bass) so I guess that means I can get 3 more guitars.......