Exposed wood on Head corner

dmend

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My first post here. Just got a used Dot (Red) and loving it. Issue is, on the corner side point of the head there is a ding that is exposing wood. Not readily noticable unless inspecting the guitar. My concern is moisture, etc getting into the head under the factory finish, and causing further damsge down the road. I would like to seal it. Matching the color woud be great, but I have low expectations of that happeining.

Any thought on best way to seal that ding.

Dang., the close-up makes it look massive.

Thanks,
Dmend

Attachments

• 20221129_174014.v01.jpg
    20221129_174014.v01.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 9

imnotcreative

Reaction score
I don't think moisture will cause much of a problem unless you want to take it under the shower.
Hollowbody's and acoustics have a lot more wood exposed to the air through the f-holes/sound hole and they most often get problems because the wood is much thinner. I wouldn't worry too much about it, if this little ding keeps you awake at night you must be terrified of what could happen to the body with all the exposed wood through the f-holes 😉

To make it less obvious you could use a sharpie to color it in and use some super glue to seal it.

BGood

Reaction score
Pretty much what imnotcreative wrote. The red Sharpie is THE touch-up color for Cherry Red guitars. Then you can either leave it exposed or seal it. Your choice, it will not affect the wood either way.

Red Sharpie.jpg

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
Welcome. The pic isn't clear, but there's exposed wood and then there's exposed wood. If all it is is the finish having chipped off, the wood is still likely protected by the gobs of sanding sealer they used to prep the wood for paint - so I wouldn't worry too much about the moisture thing. If you really wanted to cover it up, I think all of the suggestions above would work. If it's broken into the wood, then just dab it with a bit of CA. If you want to build it up until it's flat again, use a bit of CA + baking powder, let dry/accelerate, sand and then sharpie/paint.

Latest posts