Fires in Australia

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Paruwi, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker

Winner post #100

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Digger and Lancpudn like this.
  2. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker

did it really rain ?

3. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

Rob, I’ve been thinking about this... Have you considered putting your hand up for the Local Emergency Recovery Groups that are forming around your state?... I know you well enough to know that you have a lot to offer in such a role, not least of which would be keeping the higher powers ‘real’ & totally focused on the massive task ahead there.

Re your situation, & I say this with the utmost respect, if my then widowed 64 year old sister can pick herself up from an equally dire situation, dust herself off & arise even stronger than before, then I am absolutely sure that you, backed by the amazing Gael & your family, can & WILL get through this!

Digger, Otto99 and Paruwi like this.
  4. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Peter we’ve had a couple of small events totalling less than an inch thanks.

Whilst any rain is needed badly, in real terms or was stopping crews bacburning and made tracks slippery & dangerous.

To say pathetic drought has ended will mean hundreds of mm will need to fall and in the past these events have ended in floods in our region.

Paruwi likes this.
  5. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Thanks for your confidence in me Stu and we have been attending meetings, as recently as last night where we spoke to ministers and East Gippsland mayor etc. Our concern is getting the Vic government and shire to carry out site clearing for those who have been unfortunate enough to have lost houses or buildings. Bringing in the military comes to mind.

We are assured that these things are now being seriously considered. Contractors would likely charge us up to $50,000 for cleaning up 2 buildings and that is both exploitive and outrageous! The insurance company will get it done but it comes off our uninsured amount which is insufficient anyway.

We think we are making progress.

As to me taking an active ongoing roll, my nervous problems (Ptsd) and poor hearing would preclude me from being suitable. I have been known to rip into people if they annoy me....chuckle. I have a low threshold for bullsh!t..chuckle~ However my darling wife gets things done very effectively and we work together pretty well.

I think there is a genuine will by all levels of government to provide the help we need. 2 days after the fire we had CFA, MFB and army engineers talking to us and planning recovery.
    I see heavy vehicles, obviously army, in and around transporting bulldozers to clear firebreaks and such. Sarsfield has been one of the heaviest hit places according to those that know.

Yesterday we progressed even further with me getting quotes for replacement of vital items and buying the things I need to start working clearing up. I’ll buy another chainsaw this morning to help with that process.

I dropped into a local supplier for bar oil and 2 stroke oil goods that probably wouldn’t be less than $70. When I attempted to pay Ken said, no you’re not paying Rob, you’ve been a customer for a long time.
    It was so unexpected that I had tears in my eyes, shook his hand and thanked him, stumbling out embarrassed at my weakness. A bit further near the park was a food van giving out FREE fish & chips. Everywhere traders were happy to give discounts to fire affected residents.

Most people are intrinsically good

Local people are simply magnificent!

When I got back from town about 1.30 My
    mate Tony was there installing a generator and running leads everywhere. we can run the fridge, TV and boil the kettle now. I had no idea he was going to do that!

I love to give, but am bloody hard to give to, so this is a lesson I need to learn, accepting help from others. I simply have no choice ATM.

Our electrician came at short notice yesterday and already we have a plan to have power reconnected, and within a relatively short timeframe apparently.We wil, return home for good when that happens. Things are happening much faster than I imagined they would thanks to some fine people.

We will stay at home over the weekend as our sons are down to help cleaning up outside.They are so keen it’s been hard to stop them. With the generator we can scrape by.

Last night we had a chance to mingle with many of our neighbours, many of whom have lost more than us. It was great to shake hands or hold them and to exchange disaster stories. Mostly we are all just happy to be alive and to live in Australia.

I have frequently been in mind of Bronwyn your amazing sister, in and she has been my inspiration. I hope we can meet her one day.

Gael has told me that up to 80 homes were lost in Mallacoota! That will devastate that small community that you know from visits there. We can’t wait to get back but access isn’t yet available by road yet. Machinery has been bought in by navy vessels along with fuel & drinking waster as sea and air are the only way in ATM. Holiday makers have been evacuated by navy ships and others take; out by RAAF aircraft. They were trapped there when the single narrow road was cut.

I hope that people return in droves to support local traders who have already lost much this season. The golf club and bowling club have totally gone.

As for ourselves a tireless effort by helicopter crew probably are what saved the few surviving houses including ours.

I say to those that think the our climate isn’t affected by mans activities, look at Australia and have another think!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    Lancpudn, Raiyn and Paruwi like this.
  6. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

URGENT: Rob, ABC News just reported that a team of +/- 80 Vets have formed to assist other Vets in property recovery. They are door knocking / kicking off in Sarsfield TODAY. Your local RSL has details. Bron received similar work team assistance from Rotary & it was key to her moving into recovery mode, so don’t hold back... FIND ‘EM & USE ‘EM BROS.

Lancpudn and Paruwi like this.
  7. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Thanks mate, i had heard about that but not made contact yet.

I had contacted th RSL looking got help with firewood as al, ours was burned in the event.

We have stuff to do in town first thing but will be home after that so hopefully I will connect.

Phones out at home today so unable to follow anything further up.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Paruwi likes this.
  8. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear the response is active. While hardly a comparison, we had a derecho blow through town in 2003, with sustained winds of over 100 mph. No one was killed, so the US media pretty much ignored it. Meanwhile, 450,000 people in town and suburbs were out of power, trees down everywhere, and many houses compromised by trees, branches, or blowing debris. We all came together and got through it. We ran a generator piggy back off our neighbors, with a cord running through my bathroom window. Everybody looked out for one another. Sadly, it didn’t last.

9. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Yes Greg communities working together much.

We have a lot of social media deriding certain tiers of government here and as someone affected and on the ground I have to say that all levels of government have acted quickly and the support is overwhelming!

I bought a chainsaw I”ll need and a number of other but Ill need for the weekend.

Getting quotes for replacement tractor is becoming interesting with a super bushfire special on a slightly larger Kubota looking to come in slightly cheaper than Kioti. I might be placing an order in a few days!

My goodness things are happening fast!

No contact from War veterans today and they might have come early before we got there. All neighbours know of my service so I figure they will find me if they have a mind to,

Interesting times!

Paruwi, Lancpudn and Stuart like this.
  10. Lancpudn

Lancpudn Well-Known Member

Good to hear there's great community spirit there & things are moving quickly mate. Tractor shopping! sounds right down your alley :thumb:

Paruwi likes this.
  11. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

You’d better believe it, and mower shopping, and chain saw shopping, and...........

Lancpudn likes this.
  12. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Another interesting and challenging day today.

We’ve been flat out but still moving forward faster than we could have imagined.

I will tell you more tomorrow.

Stuart likes this.
  13. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

You might want to verify the source of this image. I believe it's fake.

Stuart likes this.
  14. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

It’s bad... very bad... but those faked satellite pics (overlaid year on year on decade etc imagery) do not help anyone... least of all any prospect of an all important tourism recovery.

Paruwi likes this.
  15. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

It’s a bloody big country and there’s plenty still untouchedThere by fire still!

A good rain here last night should see us transform from brown to green in a few days!

Unfortunate following Stu’s theme, there are many businesses that will struggle, or fall by having their peak season curtailed so brutally.

It will take years to recover for many and that’s why we need tourism to come back as soon as possible.

Once place that will be greatly impacted is our beloved Mallacoota a place that will likely not have road access return for another month at least.

I’m sure that there will be a groundswell of support by people to take business back there as soon as possible. We can’t wait!

Lancpudn, Stuart and Paruwi like this.
  16. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Sunday midday and I’m black from carbon from the felled trees I’ve been dropping and cutting up.

I’m also buggered and it’s times like these when I can’t keep up with the young blokes, that it shows.

My sons did about a months work at my place over the weekend. Probably another months worth just in front of the house!

I try not to think about the enormity of the job ahead and take every day as it comes. The new tractor should make it easier.

Fires have moved north of us other than numerous smouldering logs that occasionally break into flames.

It’s safe here now and everywhere the clean up has begun.

Life goes on!

17. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

It does, and I’m glad you came through alive. And you get a new tractor!

Lancpudn, Paruwi and Digger like this.
  18. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Thanks for reminding me Greg, I admit that hadn’t been on my mind for a whole 30 seconds!

This afternoon a convoy of about 15 ex service men & women rolled in ready to do anything and everything we needed to help recovery.
    They worked for 3 or 4 hours and bloody hard, getting some fallen trees cut and on a pile ready for splitting.

They dropped a few dangerous trees and generally tidied things up. Lots more to do but we appreciate and are grateful for anything and everything that is done for us.

I welcomed them and attempted to thank them but was cut off with “Don’t worry Rob we are happy to do it for family”
    Ex service family he meant and once again I was humbled by the kindness and generosity of my fellow Aussies.

Now back to thinking about new tractors new mowers, new...everything while. have a beer and look at green shoots showing through the brown.

Life goes on~

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    Stuart, Lancpudn and Paruwi like this.
  19. Lancpudn

Lancpudn Well-Known Member

Great to hear your service mates & everyone pitching in clearing the place up mate. It must be a monster task for the size of your property. It takes me all my time just to sort out my little piece of England :thumb:

Stuart and Paruwi like this.
  20. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

My sons and I swung chainsaws all weekend and got a lot done but compared to what the others did in 4 hours it was nothing. More people supposed to be here this morning, electrician coming too and then also expecting representatives from the insurance company to sign off on the rest of our claim. The money for my farm shed and contents claim went in the bank last night.

Added to that I intend to get out on a saw myself first thing.

Later into town looking for a log splitter and other tractor implements.

Can’t say life is boring ATM!

Paruwi and Stuart like this.