For Foods Sake!!!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Stuart, Feb 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Raiyn and Paruwi like this.
  2. Lancpudn

Lancpudn Well-Known Member

It was a cooking afternoon namely dumplings yesterday.
    All the ingredients are in and the dumpling press too, I got the large one & maybe I should have got the small one, they're big dumplings :wow:

I've made a batch of them for last nights tea to go into some home made chicken broth.

I used pork mince, chopped spring onion, tsp of minced garlic,minced ginger,light soy sauce & sesame oil.
    I made the dumpling mix with general purpose flour, rolled them out in circles big enough to cover the dumpling mould with a good tsp of the pork mixture & pressed the mould together.
    They look like little pasties.:D

I left six out for teatime and put the rest in the freezer.
    I've also made some bread dough which is rising and will be ready to cook later.

They were very good if I say so myself :thumb: depending on how well they freeze :dunno: if they're OK I'll make a big batch at a time to put in the freezer to go with my home made soups.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Donutz likes this.
  3. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Yum now I feel hungry!

Gael bought a bag of frozen potato cakes the other day...I know extremely sinful for sure!

Potato cakes or Potato Scallops as they are known in some states, are slices of potato thinly sliced and then dipped in batter and deep fried. Part of the fish & chip scene here although all the take aways all have them too! Recently we heard that one of the suppliers started selling bags of them frozen. We had heard good things from friends but tried to resist, but a bag came home the other day. Now we don’t deep fry anything, so they were placed on a tray in the oven for 20 minutes.

OMG! They are the real deal and I think they were on special for a bag of 20 for only about $2.50!

Ian as to your dumplings, I mince or finely chop prawns or shrimps and add them to the mince at about 50/50 ratio. I also add some finely minced water chestnuts for some crunch. Otherwise the mix is similar.

Lancpudn and Raiyn like this.
  4. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Since it was a market day, and we have another show tomorrow, we’re going with total easy comfort food; to wit, a box of Stovetop Stuffing, two 44D chicken breasts, and a can of creme of mushroom soup. Bake covered until the chicken won’t kill you, based on internal temps. To quote Sam Gamgee, rare ballast for an empty belly.

Lancpudn likes this.
  5. Lancpudn

Yes I know what you mean! If the missus does the shopping she wont buy those because of diets & all that malarkey :D
    Yet when I buy them & serve them up she loves them :dunno:
    That chopped prawns/shrimp recipe does sound good, I'll be giving that a good for sure as there's a big bag of frozen prawns in the freezer which will be perfect for that :yesway:

I might even do a Lancashire version with black pudding :thumb: The new "Super Food" :D

LOL Bake until the chicken wont kill you :rofl: I'm stealing that.

I made a loaf the other day and there's enough left over to make some sage & onion stuffing to go with the left over roast pork joint from yesterday, It was marked down 35% in the "must sell today" meats section of the supermarket.

It was excellent too. :yesway:

Digger likes this.
  6. Lancpudn

Cooking wi gas already this morning :shock: It will be Pea & ham soup for tea with crusty bread. Sweating some onion & leek off with some small cubed carrot & swede. The peas have been steeping overnight & I have two small ham hocks to go in it. Yum.

[​IMG]

7. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Oh Crikey!

Had the mixed grill at the Coota pub tonight, mightn’t eat at all tomorrow~

8. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Lancpudn likes this.
  9. Lancpudn

Yum That looks so good Otto. :cool:

It's still soup weather here so I'm going to have some Pea & ham soup I made last week that I froze, Just have to make some dumplings to go with it.:thumb:

[​IMG]

10. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

A proper hunk of beef!
    F56DE248-31C6-4C43-9911-9B2626527934.jpeg

Lancpudn likes this.
  11. Lancpudn

Holy Moly! what a piece of beef.

I'm going to strip the turkey carcass later to make some soup, I saved the stock and there's a ton of veggies in the cupboard, It's my favourite meal from the turkey if I'm honest.:thumb:

12. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

I’ll blow the dust off this thread. While anyone can grill on Memorial Day weekend - the unofficial kick off of summer - the true non- conformists roast a turkey breast.
    D6685234-B645-4308-8707-EEBC355F460F.jpeg

Lancpudn, Supersonic, Donutz and 2 others like this.
  13. Rick Davey

Rick Davey New Member

That looks awful good! Did you do that in a smoker or a stove oven?

14. Donutz

Donutz Member

Well heck, finally a thread where I might actually be able to contribute! We're getting ready to re-open beginning of June. I've been babysitting the poolish starter I use to make the donuts (her name is Scarlett cause' she's pale, bubbly, full of life, a redhead (her Lexan lid color :D) and also sexy as hell) since we shut down the 3rd week of March. In the interim I've been able to adapt Scarlett from a poolish to a biga (Italian bread starter) to make these:
    [​IMG]

Rick Davey, Lancpudn and Supersonic like this.
  15. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

Good call, I love this thread and had forgotten all about it.

That turkey looks great BTW. We're just doing the standard Memorial Day burgers and dogs on the grill tomorrow but I think I'm gonna use provolone cheese and put it in the middle of the burgers 'Juicy Lucy' style and top with mushrooms and some awesome Boar's Head horseradish mustard that I got last week. The mustard will be great on the dogs as well.

Paruwi likes this.
  16. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker

I am hungry now

17. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Convection oven. They’re great.

Paruwi and Rick Davey like this.
  18. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Working hard today so doing it easy! A couple of fat beef sausages fried in a drop of EVOO, a handful of oven chips and 2 free range eggs. Nothing gourmet here but it will fill me. (it was yummy)

Too tired to do anything flash tonight.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    Lancpudn and Paruwi like this.
  19. Lancpudn

We've been on salad meals lately as the weather has been too warm to cook.
    The weather has now turned so it'll be back to black pudding & lard butties :rofl:

[​IMG]

20. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Normally on Wednesday night we go with friends to a club in town for a meal. Whilst there are restrictions in place we’ve occasionally ordered a take away meal and thats what we did tonight.

The place looked like the size of a paddock with about a dozen people inside eating. All atmosphere is absent with it restricted to 20 people at a time sitting down for meals. The take away menu is extensive and the steak sandwich ($18) I had was absolutely beautiful. I’ll be doing that again!