fretlight guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by tryagain, Jun 13, 2020.

1. tryagain

tryagain New Member

So what do you think about these Fret Light guitars? Gimmick or a different approach to learning guitar.

2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

I bought an acoustic a couple of years ago. FretLight discontinued several models were blowing them out for shipping costs only (about $50). So I figured it was a low risk.

It is indeed an entry-level guitar - laminate top and sides. The fretboard is, IIRC, richlite or some other composite. Nothing wrong with that, my Martin has a richlite fretboard. The model I bought only had lights up to the 5th fret; so really a beginner's model. It sounded like a $50 guitar - no low end, poor resonance. The action wasn't bad, though.

Maybe the teaching tool can help some, but plugging it into the computer and running the software was a hassle. Also, I know how to play basic chords. So I don't need learning tools like Fret Light and Chord Buddy.

I traded it, with some cash, for an Epi LP Special I P90. I don't have that guitar anymore either.

3. TheKat

TheKat Member

Can you really ask that question with a straight face? :naughty:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Hey, some people are at different points in their journey, keep that in mind.
    It's not something I'd spend the money on. I love the concept, but as others have said, the execution isn't exactly the greatest.

5. tryagain

tryagain New Member

Lesson learned there are no short cuts you have to put the work in.

6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

It's not a shortcut, it's a different approach to learning. Unfortunately, the guitars that have it built in are generally crap - which can kill interest faster than anything.

Norton likes this.