GAS’n on a Gold Glory!!

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Zero, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Zero

Zero Active Member

I am a huge fan of Goldtops, I like single pup guitars and been looking for a P90 powered guitar to add to my arsenal....

Somebody talk me out of it!!! :rofl:

SoCaliJ and Charles like this.
  2. Zero

Zero Active Member

3. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like you've found your next guitar.

Charles and Zero like this.
  4. pohatu771

pohatu771 Member

I played one a couple weeks ago. The finish is similar to the Emily Wolfe Sheraton, but gold. It was much lighter than I expected. It must be weight-relieved.

Charles and Zero like this.
  5. Charles

Charles Member

Nope

I suggest you preorder one today :)

Zero likes this.
  6. soulman969

soulman969 Well-Known Member

Looks like a hot rodded '54 Gold Top.

IGRocker and Zero like this.
  7. Zero

Zero Active Member

3BC03943-3198-4C1D-9FA7-50D26707BE29.jpeg Well this never happens to me... I walked into the first guitar store on my list to find my fiancé’s Uncle guitar he’s been wanting. Saw this sweet little chunk of wood on the wall...

8. Zero

Zero Active Member

5309CA76-7534-4469-AB77-D48500998E03.jpeg 19F31149-226F-4F5A-8D4F-6DE28AC3AA32.jpeg 95FE77F1-93EF-4391-B6E0-BE4AB224DC43.jpeg 9B4F6609-2869-4ED2-AD8C-B45CE275C666.jpeg Well I got her home and haven’t quite plugged her in yet to see how she handles. But... gorgeous guitar!!

Darkness, Charles and Davis Sharp like this.
  9. Zero

Zero Active Member

The shop I grabbed it at did a string swap and set up. No fret buzz, stays in tune for as much as a new set of strings stays in tune, nut is set up right and overall plays very well. As you can see from the prior pics, I’m used to playing a guitar with a “worn” finish so this was easy to play. I really like the neck finish. The frets are well manicured, and I got a little tint to my finger tips after playing a bit, but I figure I’ll do a little fret polish and a good fretboard oiling when I change strings. I’m playing out of a Mustang amp and on a clean setting you can really get some variation from the volume and tone knobs.

The guitar plays well and the action is just about perfect. But I’m pretty sure the shop had a bit to do with the playability.

Darkness and Luke V like this.
  10. Zero

Zero Active Member

And just because I wanted to know, here’s what’s under the hood. We have two CTS B500K pots with an unknown sized cap. Now, I’m not sure if this was a factory error or not, but I’ve not seen B500k for vol/tone but for tone pots? I’ve seen A500k from the factory for both in other guitars and brands. 4EA67EA3-C748-4FF1-8537-3D5764EDF7D1.jpeg

Luke V and Charles like this.
  11. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Member

I put in a pre-order a while ago. Word was they weren't going to be available until later in the summer. Then my brother and I found a house, closed on it and moved this past week. I was standing at the Comcast store setting up our internet service when my phone rang. My guitar was in, did I still want it?

Crap. I had just spent a ton of money on the move. I was planning on selling a few more guitars to pay for this but then the house purchase happened. But if I canceled I might not be able to get in line in time to get it later. So I took it. Arrived last night (Saturday) after 7 PM. I was so busy that I didn't unpack it until after midnight. Lighter than I expected. VOS finish felt good on the neck, my fingers didn't seem to turn that black :D Huge neck. Have to wait for my hands to recuperate from the move before I make a judgment. But holy cow, was it loud and lively acoustically. I can't wait to hear it plugged in. If I get the kitchen set up, I'll go get an amp from the storage facility.

Pictures when I find the cable to connect my phone to computer.

Darkness, Charles and Zero like this.
  12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I'm not gonna tell you to go bending stuff all ham handed, but a guy could tell you what you have for a cap if he could see the code on the other side.

13. Charles

Charles Member

I keep telling myself I don't need two guitars w/P90's but these GG's look great. And I like fat necks.

I ought just order one and get it over with.

Zero likes this.
  14. Zero

Zero Active Member

This would make a great addition!

Charles likes this.
  15. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

smfull.jpg DSCN1151.JPG bid225.jpg DSCN1817.JPG 2riv.e.jpg wkt.jpg
    No you need at least three.

16. Space1999

Space1999 Active Member

Its a mica cap. High quality and durability. That is your tone roll off cap I believe. Makes sense since Mica or more specific silver mica’s all deal with high end frequencies.

Pat

17. Charles

Charles Member

Davis Sharp likes this.
  18. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

That tells me absolutely nothing about the far more important value and tolerance of the cap.

19. Space1999

Space1999 Active Member

it’s typed on the cap. Should be in pico faraday
    Example 33 pF

It’s not better or worse than most caps so I wouldn’t stress it.

I have heard a difference with better caps but it is not a guitar signal difference just how wide the frequency range is rolling the tone up and down.

If it sounds too muddy rolling the tone cap down then I would think about changing it out.

Hope that helps

Pat

20. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Rather than going completely off on you for insinuating that I know absolutely nothing about capacitors in a tone circuit or how to read them, I'm just going to chalk this up to you just skimming the thread and missing the part where this comment:
    Was directed towards @Zero and was accompanied by this picture:
    [​IMG]
    A picture of his control cavity. A picture that shows the opposite side of the capacitor that doesn't have any labeling.

I don't know about you Sparky, but I don't have X-Ray vision that works on a .jpg. Which is why I made the comment to @Zero .

I do, however, know that ain't a mica cap. It's a metallized film.

Last edited: May 14, 2021