Gig bag recommendations?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by PasadenaSG, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Cozmik Cowboy

Cozmik Cowboy Well-Known Member

Sorry, I missed that; at a glance it looks exactly my friend's, which is the electric version - and, despite being the Daily Pick for several days running a week or so ago, is currently at full price of $99.99. But if you're signed up for the DP, do so; it pops up fairly frequently at the $49.99 price.

2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Ok then.

Fair enough. I'd have suggested leading with that in the first place. :cheers:

3. grinwer

grinwer Active Member

I use RockBag by Warwick. Good quality.

PasadenaSG likes this.
  4. PasadenaSG

PasadenaSG New Member

I kind of did, when I said "I'm not looking for high end or hard shell, as I won't be travelling with the guitar, just something that will protect it around the house." When I posted it I thought that was all the justification anyone would need (or expect). Once again, I underestimated the internet.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Considering the number of folks we see who don't keep their axes in a cabinet...ya can't really blame us. :cheers:

As for myself, I keep my axes in SKB hard cases. We have 5 cats (so cloth or Tolex is an automatic fail) and I've been known to be slightly clumsy at certain points so the extra protection is probably warranted -in my circumstance. I also (pre C-19) drove to lessons, something I used to do with a cheap garbage gig bag, but now prefer a case for. Now if I had a nice (possibly a display) cabinet that would keep the critters from my gitters I too might be inclined to get myself something like a Mono gigbag and call it a day.

6. PasadenaSG

PasadenaSG New Member

Anyway . . . I tried the Road Runner Avenue and Boulevard gig bags at Guitar Center, the Epi SG was too long for both. Also too long for the Gator (GBE-Elect), the cheaper Gator model. It did fit in the Ibanez Powerpad but that bag was way too wide on the body. Finally received the Gator 4G - perfect fit, good padding, so if you have an Epi SG Muse and want a gig bag for it this is, in my opinion, a good choice.

Raiyn likes this.
  7. Jam Handy

Jam Handy Active Member

For about $40-$50 (or less) you could get a used hard case... IMHO, you'll have just as much protection leaning it against the wall with no case or bag than you would putting it in a gig bag... except with the gig bag you'll probably damage it more...

"protective" and "gig bag" do not belong in the same sentence

8. Jam Handy

Jam Handy Active Member

If all you want is protection from scratches in a cabinet where you can control what goes in and out... just buy some 1/2" bubble size bubble wrap... for about $10 you could do 2-3 guitars or more... and its re-usable... and when you're bored you can pop the bubbles for fun...
    https://www.uline.com/BL_470/Uline-Economy-Air-Bubble

If you need a handle, grab some duct tape, duct tape would make a great handle... duct tape would also make some great latches on the bubble wrap... or even shipping tape, I think shipping tape would make even batter latches for bubble wrap, but not necessarily re-useable...

You don't really need all the super proitection a gig bag offers until you've bought an R9 Les Paul or... heck... pay $2,800 for a Suhr Classic S Strat copy which only comes with a DELUXE gig bag...
    https://www.suhr.com/instruments/classic-s/

9. PasadenaSG

PasadenaSG New Member

Didn't want a hard case, didn't get a hard case. I wanted a gig bag, I got a gig bag. To everyone who suggested gig bags, thank you. To everyone who suggested hard cases, I thank you too, even though my buying another hard case (I already have six, one of which the guitar fits into if I ever need it) was never going to happen. But I understand that this is the internet. Everyone knows what everyone else SHOULD want, dammit! I'm guilty on occasion of that too, so the thank you to the hard case faction is sincere.

10. Kostas Kritsilas

Kostas Kritsilas Member

Bubble wrap around guitars being stored is never a good idea. The plastic used to make bubble wrap can out-gas, and can "eat" into the finish on guitars. This is most common on nitro finished guitars, but I would not want to be the first one to find out that some combination of guitar finish and bubble wrap plastic did not get along. The longer they are in contact, the greater the possibility that there will be an issue.

PasadenaSG likes this.