Grovers vs. Gotohs

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Don_Swazy, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Don_Swazy

Don_Swazy Active Member

2. MerrChan

MerrChan Active Member

Gotoh is good for the $

texred, Don_Swazy and Paruwi like this.
  3. Don_Swazy

Don_Swazy Active Member

Thanks

4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I only use locking tuners.

Don_Swazy and DaveInSoCal like this.
  5. DaveInSoCal

DaveInSoCal Well-Known Member

I prefer locking tuners as well, and I do like the Grovers. But I have had some neck dive issues due to the weight on my G400.

6. Cam.man67

Cam.man67 Well-Known Member

I have a set of vintage Gotohs on my G400 and Grovers on my LP. Both work fine, but I'm partial to the look of the Grovers.

Don_Swazy likes this.
  7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Move the rear button.

8. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Both are great and tuning problems very rarely come from even the cheapest tuner. Get the ones that pleases your eye and lock the strings on the posts like so.

A1.jpg

A2.jpg

A3.jpg

A4.jpg

9. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

off topic content deleted

Also, just for the record, some tuners are just plain $♣¡††¥, the ones on the $99 SL come to mind, as do the stock Squire ones that were on my guitar teacher's axe.

Upgrading to a better machined unit of any kind can be of beneficial, my preference happens to be locking tuners. I find myself not dreading string changes due to the sheer ease of use and not having the winds can improve tuning stability; particularly in instances where a tremolo is present.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2018
    Don_Swazy likes this.
  10. Don_Swazy

Don_Swazy Active Member

Thanks for the info.
    I'm going to try to be very budget mindful for this project.

I think I'll try the Gotoh non-lockers and see how they do.
    The SL tuners are worse than I could've ever imagined. I might do tuners, inlays, nut, and bridge in one shot.

We'll see.

11. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Shouldn't answer that, but I could turn this around and say the same for your locking tuner suggestions Raiyn... or your use of memes :rolleyes:

As I recall, the OP wrote: I have a budget build going and am shopping for budget friendly tuners. What makes you so sure that he knows how to lock a string ? Maybe that could be a revelation for him, as it was for me when I saw it. Properly threading your string IS the cheapest way to improve your tuner stability. Not so with lockers.

texred, BlackSG91 and Biddlin like this.
  12. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

With more than twenty guitars I have locking and non-locking tuners. The lockers are great for quick string changes, but conventional tuners have been keeping guitars in tune for a very long time. I always emphasize the the traditional wrapping method and then add a note about locking the first wrap if that is one's desire. I have recently acquired a Les Paul with Grover lockers. They are great, in that application. I would not pay retail to put a set on another guitar just to replace the stock tuners.

Don_Swazy and BlackSG91 like this.
  13. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Don, the two you have shown have different post diameters. The Grover is a modern 10mm post and the Gotoh is a vintage 8mm size, just so you know. Both work fine and I have used both. In a new build, I would use the Grovers, unless I was building a period specific replica.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  14. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Back to the original topic:

Grover's or Gotoh's?

I need to preface this by stating that I dislike the "matchbox" style of tuner in general. What you have here are two knockoffs of the Kluson style tuner which fell out of favor at Gibson in the mid 70's when Gibson switched to Schaller tuners. The company later folded in 1981. The name was subsequently bought in 1994 by WD Music Products and they've been manufactured overseas ever since.

Now, having said that, the rights to the name in Europe are held by Rockinger Guitars, who market Kluson-branded tuning machines manufactured in Japan by Gotoh. Make of that what you will.

If pressed, for a budget build, I'd say Gotoh. They're cheaper, have a decent 15:1 ratio and fit the footprint of a "Kluson" if that's what's needed or desired. Six of one, a half-dozen of another. The Grover's are a bit spendy for a budget build, but it's your call.

Off topic: Hey @Don_Swazy what do you make of this whole quarterback deal for the Vikes? Seems to me that for the last 40 years or so we've been getting either the expensive "has been", or the "never-was" in the QB department. I want to believe, but history tells a different tale.

15. texred

texred Active Member

BlackSG91 and Don_Swazy like this.
  16. MerrChan

MerrChan Active Member

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  17. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

If one is married to the footprint of the Kluson style, those would do well enough.

18. Don_Swazy

Don_Swazy Active Member

I'm a transplant from S.E. Washington state so I am well versed in what many would call "garbage franchises" in pro sports. As far as the Vikes, whether or not they fall in that category is not for me to decide as a "non-fan."

In knowing many hardcore Vikings fans and growing up playing the sport for 10 years, I think Cousins is quality. With that being said, he could very well have just enough in him to have a few good years then easily get washed up. We shall see.

Raiyn likes this.
  19. Don_Swazy

Don_Swazy Active Member

Just for the record, and I think others might be in the same boat with their projects, if I can put a hundy into a $99 SL in tuners, bridge, Tusq nut, and inlays (which are not necessary), I think I'll have a pretty sweet rig. Actually I'm at $74 total if I go with a cheap Chinese bridge.

I'm in it for the journey. I could easily throw $300 at this thing but that's silly. It's a kick to play already and honestly, tuners would be good enough. I'm here to tinker.

BGood likes this.
  20. texred

texred Active Member

BlackSG91 likes this.