Hagstrom Guitars

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
Pics?

Glad that you like it. They are gorgeous. I've looked at the Alvar (the Viking is too big for me), but it's more expensive than an EPI ES-339.

Norton

Reaction score
I've got a couple. 73 swede and a 74? HIINOT (sg vibe). They are interesting for sure.. with those Huge aluminum I beam rods in the necks.

BlackSG91

Reaction score
I sure love mine.;)

RIgPDQh.jpg

2BNgc1v.jpg

;>)/

jwguitar

Reaction score
Pics?

Glad that you like it. They are gorgeous. I've looked at the Alvar (the Viking is too big for me), but it's more expensive than an EPI ES-339.

Yes you are right about that the Alvars (and most Hagstrom’s for that matter) are priced higher than what an epi 339 is priced at. I’d be interested in comparing the two guitars.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
When I was in HS ('70-'74) a friend had, at different times, a Swede (or maybe Super Swede) and a III; both were wonderful instruments.
As far as the new ones, my local (and locally owned!) shop had one - a Viking - briefly. I only played it unplugged, but it felt great; I would perhaps not be averse to owning a Viking 12-string.

soulman969

Reaction score
I've had an interest in them for many years but they aren't very plentiful in the US. I'd love to try both their guitars and basses.

Steven Kaplan

Reaction score
Back in the 60's I had a Hagstrom bass, and Hagstrom 3 guitar. I really liked them, they were my first guitars.

How do the new Hagstroms compare to the original run of Hagstroms ? Anyone play both ?

Reaction score
My Nephew has access to a Hagstrom 12 String acoustic that my sister's friend Tim owns.

I ought to borrow it some day to see how a 12 string actually plays. I have not so much as even held a 12 stringer.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Back in the 60's I had a Hagstrom bass, and Hagstrom 3 guitar. I really liked them, they were my first guitars.

How do the new Hagstroms compare to the original run of Hagstroms ? Anyone play both ?
See my post 2 above yours.

But (while I don't know) I'm guessing their current bass p/ups do not measure up the wonderful Bi-Sonics they used on their basses (and supplied to Guild for theirs) in the early-mid '60s. Just because matching that would be hard.

Best bass ever recorded? For my money, "Mama Tried" off Grateful Dead (originally titled Skullf**k - until Warner Bros. said "no way" & commonly referred to as Skeleton & Roses); Phil was playing a Gibson EB-3 with the mudbucker replaced by 2 Bi-Sonics, and some magic or other done to the electronics by Owsley "Bear" Stanley (yes, that Owsley; his brilliance wasn't limited to chemistry) & Ron Wickersham. (the genius behind Alembic).

Latest posts