Hagstrom Tremar Viking Deluxe

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by jwguitar, May 11, 2021.

1. jwguitar

jwguitar Member

Here is another video of me playing my Hagstrom Tremar Viking Deluxe. The neck on it is more comfortable than most guitars out there (for me anyway).

Space1999 and Davis Sharp like this.
  2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Thanks JW.

3. Space1999

Space1999 Well-Known Member

I love Joe Pass. I know what it takes to get to that level. I’ll tell you when I get there :rofl:

Thanks for the video.

Pat

jwguitar and Davis Sharp like this.
  4. jwguitar

jwguitar Member

Pat,

I’ll expect a phone call and or text from you on the day and time that you get there!!

Space1999 likes this.
  5. Space1999

JW,

Are there any resources that have been a real inspiration for you over the years?

Pat

6. jwguitar

jwguitar Member

I would get a copy of the Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine. I think it’s still in print though I bought my copy back in the late 90s. Also, learn to read music and get song books that have the classic standards in them. Most importantly I would listen to the songs and compare the sheet music. The same song can be written out in a multitude of ways. I think it also goes without saying that ear training is very important.

7. Space1999

When I took a summer of Jazz lessons I learned how to take a standard and write out my own chord melody for the melody line. I loved that.

What you said that really sticks is listening to Jazz to improve my ability to hear the changes. And that is on me.

On the upside, the more Jazz lines I learn, the more melodic my Rock lines become. :thumb:

Its a journey…

Pat

8. jwguitar

jwguitar Member

That is the truth. Also, I forgot to mention you should learn the numeric chord functions. You’ll see that will help you categorize what the tonic subdominate or dominant chords are when you hear them. It will also help you to learn song forms. Eventually memorizing songs becomes pretty easy and you can just figure out the melody and harmonize it without having to write everything out..

9. Space1999

you mean like ii-V-I, I-IV-VI7-ii-V-I and using the V of V, tri-chord substitutions and all that Jazz? :D

Seriously it’s good to hear you say that one can eventually spot forms.

I started mapping out standards and I need to go back to that so I can hear the forms and recognize them.

Can I ask how long it took you to be able to spot forms like you were saying and just take care of the melody line?

Did you have to listen to nothing but Jazz for an extended period of time?

I really appreciate you sharing this with me. I feel like I could make the jump to being fluid in standards but I wonder if I would have to shelve listening to Rock for a while….

Pat

10. jwguitar

jwguitar Member

I know that when I got serious about playing jazz I really did immerse myself in it. I wouldn’t stop listening to other music but you need to devote most of your time to listening to jazz. Not only to hear the harmonic functions but to also hear how the musicians are phrasing. As far as understanding harmony it can be done in a few years but remember the trick is to actually hear all those chord functions and to be able to describe exactly where you are in the form and what you are doing on top of the chords.

11. Space1999

Thank you JW! You are helping me understand the bigger picture.:)

Pat

12. jwguitar

jwguitar Member

You are very welcome Pat!